• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Alpine V6 Engine Swap

61Alpine

10 Months ago I began the journey to put a new engine in my Alpine. I elected to go with a V6 from a 74 Ford Mustang II. Having never before done any engine work I was apprehensive about the task. But, with the help of many friends on the internet and one local friend, I have accomplished my task. Today was the maiden voyage. I drove to and from the muffler shop. Wow what a difference. Any Alpiners out there that would like a more responsive engine give this a thought. I can give you information where to get the custom parts you will need.

Wingtip

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Sounds awesome Alpine61! Did you have to swap the entire drive train (engine, trans and diff)? Got any pics you can post here?

George
thumbsup.gif

Tiger

Jedi Warrior
a Boredom Zero never died in a nobler cause!
yesnod.gif

Chinewalker

Freshman Member
That would be the 60 degree V6 built in Cologne, Germany and originally used in the German Mercury Capri. Did you know that motor has evolved into the current 4.0 liter V6 used in Explorers?
The latest version even has overhead cams. One of the 4.0 pushrod motors from a Ranger or explorer would be a real torque monster in the Alpine.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Chinewalker ]</p>

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chinewalker:
That would be the 60 degree V6 built in Cologne, Germany and originally used in the German Mercury Capri. Did you know that motor has evolved into the current 4.0 liter V6 used in Explorers?
The latest version even has overhead cams. One of the 4.0 pushrod motors from a Ranger or explorer would be a real torque monster in the Alpine.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Chinewalker ]
<hr></blockquote>

In 1974 I bought a Capri V6 New. Loved that car! It was very sprited! Funny thing is, you really don't see those German Capris around much any more.

Chinewalker

Freshman Member
The Capri was supposed to be another Mustang. Quite a few were sold, but I guess it just became a victim of the sorry seventies.

Tiger

Jedi Warrior
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Basil:
Funny thing is, you really don't see those German Capris around much any more.<hr></blockquote>

Or the early 1960's British Ford Capris, or the early 1950's Lincoln Capris -- hey, just how long have they been using that name, anyway?
crazyeyes.gif

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Great idea, V6 engine swap. I had a friend who put a V6 in a TR7. Really drove great. If memory serves, he used TR's transmission. I always thought an MGB could use a V6, instead of the usual V8 swap. Did you have to move the engine mounts on the Alpine?
Johnny, 59 AH3000, 75 MGB

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
<snip>The Capri was supposed to be another Mustang. Quite a few were sold, but I guess it just became a victim of the sorry seventies. <snip>
Did you know that Donald Healey was given the task of creating an Austin Healey GT car? There were actually 2 prototypes made. I beleive it was then BMC killed the idea, and gave the plans to Ford who created the "Capri."
Johnny

Wingtip

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Hey 61Alpine, haven't seen you in a while...how about posting an update on your conversion now that you've had it awhile.

George

OP
61Alpine

61Alpine

Thought I would give you an update on the V6 Engine swap. All of the mechanical work is done and I have driven a bit but winter here in Utah was upon us. So I decided to take the car off the road for the winter and strip the paint from the entire car. I just about have the stripping completed and am starting on a few spots of body work. Should be ready to paint by the end of March. Then it is on the road.

pmenhusen

Jedi Trainee
Hello 61Alpine: Did you use the Sunbeam transmission and rear end, or did you go with Ford units? If you converted, did you have to re-calibrate the speedometer?

OP
61Alpine

61Alpine

Hello again. I used the V6 from a 1974 Mustang II. I attached custom headers, and am in the process of replacing the intake with a 4 barrell intake and then I am putting on a 390 cfm 4 barrell carb.
On the transmission, I used a T5 five speed from a later V8 Mustang. For now I have the Alpine rearend, however, I do have a Ford one that I can modify if mine won't handle the heat.
I sold my old gauges and replace the entire set with new electronic gauges from Dolphin. Replace the entire wiring harness with a harness from Painless Wiring. (almost painless) It went in pretty good. Looks and works way better than the original. I also put in a Crane electronic ignition system. Looking forward to the driving after I get the paint done.

Ryan

Freshman Member
Sounds like you're happy with your conversion. I should be checking out the other side of town in mine in about a week. Have you found any parts houses that deal with performance parts for the 2.8? Mine's out of a '77 Capri.