• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

For the I.T. geeks. This is rich:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Is Mike Nash a politician also?
evilgrin0013.gif
Sounds like it!
rolleye0010.gif

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Typical stuff -- like politicians, it's much easier to say that you have done something, than to actually do it. A little creative wording in the press release, and it's even legally defensible.

Just plain silly stuff, really. We're always behind with our rollouts anyways, and this is one of the reasons why.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Has Microsoft EVER got anything right the first go 'round. Everytime they come out with a new operating system, it's got bugs and they have to update. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And WE are th' BETA testers. We PAY for th' priveledge.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
lol.gif
And do we pay and pay and pay!!!
I think that because a major computer manufacture or manufactures are now installing Linux in their machines and more will eventually come on line, were going to see a change in the industry, as more people start using Linux the demand will get higher for the appropriate software to fit their needs. It's merely a retraining program. This happening, there's no telling where it will lead.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
So far Linus' kernel has stood the test of several onslaughts attempting to kill it. So far, so good.

And M$ doesn't have as tight a grip on the "rest of the world" as it does here in the US. So far we (as a "collective") have paid the "Microsoft tax" with little resistance. That should/will change as time progresses and Redmond continues to play the: "Longer, Lower, Wider! Ya just GOTTA have a new one!" game the new car sales of the '50's were marketed with. It's already happening with Vista... Businesses are 'staying away in droves' from it. When I posted that link above, I was looking for another of his articles which just came out in the latest print issue. It hasn't been put out on the website yet but goes to the Vista troubles MS is having.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
True, for now... but it's changing. OpenOffice is one example and a delight.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yup. I've been "sneaky" with clients. I'm sliding 'em closer to Linux all the time... Mozilla or Firefox and T'bird on their Winblows workstations, OpenOffice, any of the cross-platform warez I know will do the work they need to do.

Next I'll be slippin' workstations in on 'em. Already have more than a few servers in place with Fedora Core or CentOS running. Those clients don't know WHY, but they have fewer server issues than before I got to 'em. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes. So far it's been quite good... and I ALWAYS put in a SmoothWall firewall appliance right behind the modem, too.

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Came across something a while ago that I interested me, insertion of code in a kind of pixellated form into a picture that was not picked up by any of the virus etc progs cos they was scanning it as a picture, was interesting reading

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If you have ANY kind of 'net connection or LAN you should check this out (if you haven't already):

https://www.smoothwall.net/

and the open source:

https://www.smoothwall.org/

Current uptime on this one is 127 days. I've run 'em for as long as 260+ without restart.

I just checked that site out....what is with all the nag screens? reminds me of UAC in Vista

mark

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nag screens on the Smoothie sites? That's weird. I get no interference at all.

your probably registered...

mark

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Doc, is there a Ubuntu upgrade? I have a 5.04 version in one lap top and was thinking of trying to up grade it to a later version. If there is one!