• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Morning excitement [of the bad kind]

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Woke up to a nice leak in the roof -- we've had a lot of snow here this year, and there's a bunch on the roof. Seems the ice dam effect came into play, and water got into the area above one of our bay windows. A bunch of water.

So it looks like I'll be spending the day on the roof shoveling off snow. Then we'll have a call into a drywall guy to fix the inside ceiling. Oh boy! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

(The writing is from the home's PO -- we've been meaning to paint the front room, now we have a reason!)

Attachments

• 9769.jpg
    9769.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 10

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
THAT ain't right, Drew! gah. Pro'lly a few gallons hidden up in there! get some BIG buckets under it and relieve the load before it all comes down at once! Long screwdriver and push more drain holes in it...

woof.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've got a big hole cut in it now, with a big tub underneath. This is one of those "joys of home ownership" moments. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've a similar malady in the kitchen... and the roof isn't five years old yet. Waiting for the sun before I start tearing off shingle, tho. argh. I hate 'roofing'.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Be careful on that roof! I have a friend who lives up Ogden Canyon and is snow bound. We work for the same company, but he works out of Layton. He had to go up and shovel some snow off his roof yesterday.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
drooartz said:
Woke up to a nice leak in the roof -- we've had a lot of snow here this year, and there's a bunch on the roof. Seems the ice dam effect came into play, and water got into the area above one of our bay windows. A bunch of water.

So it looks like I'll be spending the day on the roof shoveling off snow. Then we'll have a call into a drywall guy to fix the inside ceiling. Oh boy! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

(The writing is from the home's PO -- we've been meaning to paint the front room, now we have a reason!)

Love the quote - very telling. You've got one good story beginning right there!

Like they said, take care up there. Be sure when you have the internal repairs done that it is checked for structural damage, in case this has been going on a while...

Mickey

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'll have to get one of those rakes soon. We're also going to install some heating wires on the roof to prevent the ice dams in the future.

2+ feet of snow on the roof -- at least the sun is out, makes it feel warmer than the 1*F it's showing on the thermometer. Brrr... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Drew:
That BIG WIND we had last month belw ALL of the shingles off of my roof on the south side {No leaks yet thank the lord}. I called my insurance adjuster. He came right over and inspected the damage, gave me an estimate and now there sending me a cheque to cover the damage. Your roof should be covered under your homeowners insurance call them!
Kerry

T

Tinster

That drywall belly bulge indicates a good quantity
of water sitting above.

Google Ice Dams and there's plenty of info how to avoid
this problem in the future.

But the best solution is move out the snow areas. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/angel.gif

I don't need no roof rake ay my house.

d

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sorry to hear that, Kerry! What a winter we're having.

I think the roof itself is fine, it's just the ice buildup that's an issue. I'm solving that the manual way today, we'll have a more permanent solution soon (probably some heater coils).

I'll say this, shoveling 3 feet of packed snow off of the roof is a good workout. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Be careful up on your roof Drew!

My roof faces south and used to get some pretty impressive ice dams on it, including the damage inside. Now, if I have enough snow on the ground to shovel, I rake the snow off the edge of the roof as high as I can go (4 - 5 feet). Since I started doing that, I haven't had any problems.

Good luck and I'll say it again ... Be Careful!

Matt

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks all. That was an enormously long day, and it's not quite done yet. Snow is off 2 of the 3 roof sections, and I chipped away all the ice in the main gutter section, and on the edge of the roof -- no more ice dam for now, anyways.

Now it's off to clear the driveway of the snow from the roof. Will wind up as about a 12 hour day outside working on this. At least it was a nice day, lots of sun if not all that warm.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My sister had 4 feet of snow last week outside Bend,OR. Told her to watch those ice dams. She has 10' icicles hanging from the gutter.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Definitely have her do something about those dams -- we're going to have to have some interior work done, and my neighbor is having even more trouble with it. Don't wait; waking up to water in your house is never a fun thing.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Drew:

It is good to hear that everything worked out okay.

Pat

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Last report she could step up to her roof to shovel it off.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yikes, Don! We're not that bad yet, though it the back I can stand on the drift and reach the roof.