• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The Italian Job!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Forgive me if this has been discussed, but I just watched "The Italian Job" last night and wow! Those Minis in that movie were neat! Who'd have thunk you could carry all that gold in such a small car!

Basil

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
We have discussed the movie before, but such an enduring classic can't be discussed too much!
thumbsup.gif

DesertSprite

Jedi Warrior
Hey Basil,

I just watched it the other night as well, and now I want a Mini. Classic and the Bini.

These little cars are sweet.

~Joel

outoway

I own both the new version and the original on DVD. I love these movies!! I also have the Bourne Identity as well.

Stephen

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by outoway:
I own both the new version and the original on DVD. I love these movies!! I also have the Bourne Identity as well.

Stephen
<hr></blockquote>

What's the difference between the two?
Basil

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
If you want movies that star Minis, you need to add "Goodbye Pork Pie" to your viewing list. It is a somewhat more tragic Mini tale, But still fun.

outoway

The Original was made in 1969. In the original they stole the gold for england as opposed to for themselves in the new one. Another difference is in the first one you don't have the betrayal of one of the guys stealing it from the others as well. Also another big differance is the scenary (please excuse my spelling) is Awsome in the first one. And beside the Mini's being Olde Skool in the first one!!

Stephen

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Another point with the original movie is that it doesn't take itself too seriously (Benny Hill!
grin.gif
) and it was the last movie that Noel Coward ever appeared in....plus some E-Types and an Aston getting on the wrong end of a backhoe operated by the Mafia! You owe it to yourself to watch the original......especially now!!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
The original "Italian Job" featured Remy Julienne, the famous French stunt-driver. There is a wild, death-defying scene in the original where 3 Minis jump off a factory roof (and no "video graphics: it was the real deal). Julienne also consulted on the new "Italian Job", "Bourne Identity" and many of the James Bond movies. I recall that he once jumped a car through a moving train.....he timed it so that he went though a box car with open doors (I don't remeber if that stunt was ever used in a movie).

Here's more about the original "Italian Job" movie:

https://www.theminifarm.com/italian_job.htm

Remy Julienne
Remy.jpg

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
"Who'd have thunk you could carry all that gold in such a small car!"

Obiously, there's no way a Mini could carry that amount of gold......especially on 145x10 tires! And even supposing that they beefed up the frame and suspension so that they could, you'd have to time their 0 to 60 on a calendar.
grin.gif

I have the original on both VHS and DVD....and I saw the new version at a "Special Premiere" put on at a local theatre by the local MINI dealer, to which our Mini club was invited (for FREE!)

I much prefer the original version. It was lighter, had better acting, and had an amusing kind of tongue-in-cheek humor.

The MINI version was much darker and lacked the spontaneity and sparkle of the original.

ach1275

Freshman Member
The beginning of the original is especially heartbreaking with the Lambo Miura meeting its demise

William

Darth Vader
During the famous sewer driving scene, in the original, you can see one of the Minis swerving up the sides of the tunnel. Apparently, during testing, Remy J. managed to get one to loop the loop, but only the one time!

As for the fast cars that were destroyed by the Mafia, there's some mystery there. Apparently there is an Aston ragtop, as well as a Jag ragtop, still running around England with those registration numbers. And, if you can bear watching that scene again, there doesn't seem to be a hideous amount of damage done to those two cars (the Jag coupe is another matter). Supposedly those two cars were repaired and sold on.

Another oddity-when the Aston gets thrown off the cliff, the hood (bonnet) opens the wrong way around.
-William

racing girl

Jedi Knight
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by William:
Another oddity-when the Aston gets thrown off the cliff, the hood (bonnet) opens the wrong way around.
-William
<hr></blockquote>

I heard that it was the two Jag's that were bought a restored after filming. The Aston was actually destroyed, and the reason that there's an anomaly with the bonnet opening the wrong way is because the Aston exploded on impact and didn't look good on film. So they brought in another car, I want to say either a Lancia or an Alfa Romeo, and threw that over too, to get a good shot. If you look closely at the car going down the cliff, the grille is different to the Aston.

At least I think it was the Aston, this story could possibly relate to the Lambourghini at the very beginning too!
crazy.gif
Darn it, now I need to go and watch the movie again to make sure...

RG
england.gif

Dave Thielke

Aside from all the technical details, they were both fun.
Does anyone remember a Brit. comedy called 'Buterflies', one of the cars that were always playing musical chairs in the driveway was a mini with a neat flag paint job. Reminds me of my drive, someone is always blocking the garage.
Dave T

Greg Bowman

Freshman Member
On the DVD extras, the producer explains that the destroyed high price vehicles were junkers they found that would look okay from one angle. The destroyed Miura was a junkyard find with no mechanicals which can be seen if you look closely as it rolls down the mountain. Unfortunately new minis were actually destroyed

[ 01-16-2004: Message edited by: Greg Bowman ]</p>

Greg Bowman

Freshman Member
On the DVD extras, the producer explains that the destroyed high price vehicles were junkers they found that would look okay from one angle. The destroyed Miura was a junkyard find with no mechanicals which can be seen if you look closely as it rolls down the mountain.

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
In the original movie, unfortunately, some new Minis were destroyed during the stunts, but the cars shoved out of the back of the bus were junkers. If you use "stop frame" and look closely, you'll see that none of them are Coopers.