• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fake Minis!!! Grrr!!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Fake Minis! They are racing *fake* Minis!

I was watching the SCCA Runoffs on Speed TV, Christmas Day. The GT-5 race was on, and the Huffaker Minis was leading until it developed a problem (Huffaker Engineering has been involved in road racing of BMC Spridgets and Minis for 40 years...they are part of Brit-car race history in the U.S. along with the Team Spreen, Fred Opert, John Sprintzel, Hank Thorpe and others).

Anyway, the Huffaker car came into the pits and they flipped open the nose....and I noticed that the little "A" engine was positioned "North-South" instead of tranverse! What the heck!?!?

Then I went to the Huffaker website.....their racing Mini is rear-wheel drive! Sacrilege! So is the other top Mini (the Fortech car).

https://www.huffakerengineering.com/html/1992-2003.html

So I guess now that all the top SCCA racing Minis are just Sprites with a roof. Just venting here, but I'm kind of disappointed...I guess it's like NASCAR, with all those RWD Tauruses.

Huffaker rear-drive Race Mini
mini.jpg

Bugeye58

Yoda
Nial, a few years back, the SCCA allowed the GT classes to change a front driver to rear drive, and since it was perceived as an advantage, Joe built his car. I actually helped build it. But, Mike's Fortech car that Doug drove to the championship is still a front wheel drive car.
The GT classes are basically tube chassis silhouette cars anyway, but many of them are still set up in the original configuration. Ted Wollesen, who was interviewed prior to the race is still "east-west", as is his daughter Erin's car. Ted has 13 Minis, and they are all front wheel drive. I get to race with Erin here at Waterford.
Jeff

[ 12-26-2003: Message edited by: Bugeye58 ]</p>

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bugeye58:
I actually helped build it.
<hr></blockquote>

Heretic!

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bugeye58:
Mike's Fortech car that Doug drove to the championship is still a front wheel drive car. <hr></blockquote>

Oh.

many of them are still set up in the original configuration. Ted Wollesen, who was interviewed prior to the race is still "east-west", as is his daughter Erin's car. Ted has 13 Minis, and they are all front wheel drive. I get to race with Erin here at Waterford.<hr></blockquote>

Good: glad to see there are some semi-purists out there!

By the way, I co-raced a GT-5 Fiesta around '95. It was poorly developed and dog-slow, partly due to the ballast required. My ITC Dodge Colt was faster!

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
To add to the Heracy, there's a rumor going around that Huffaker is going to the MINI silhouette next year.. Hopefully, this will reduce drag and keep those throttle cables from falling off during the race.

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
Any top racer in SCCA GT classes is a Silhouette racer. No heresy about it. There are other classes where you can't run a tube frame. You can avert your eyes when GT classes are running if you must. I personally prefer the production classes where the cars are not tube framed and bear much more resemblance to stock, and even IT where they are pretty close to stock.

There are plenty of cars with unibodies in GT classes still though.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Super 7, even though Nial has branded me a heretic for helping build Joe Huffakers' GT5 Mini, I race in either H or F Production, with either a '62 Sprite in H, or a 1500 Spitfire in F.
Hopefully this information will keep my head off the block!
Wait a minute. Racing in a production class, the head is quite often off the block, now that I think about it!
Jeff