• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just acquired a Jensen Healey

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hello All, I have been bopping around BCF for a while mostly in the Triumph forum as I have a TR7. Just aquired a 1974? Jensen Healey. Any fellows out there with similar iron? I am not sure about the year as it does not have the rubber bumpers. The serial # is 17798 can anyone help me narrow it down? The web site for the Jensen Healey Preservation Society quit coming up right after I e-paid my $30.00.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Gotta be just before the "74-1/2" cars, then.

5-speed?

I've serviced a few in my day. The 907 is a "natural" transition IMO. Just be sure the cam belt is renewed regularly. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Country flag
Welcome to J-H ownership.

The JHPS site is now working, hope it was just a hic-cup.

You might look at the UK Jensen Owner's Club site too:

https://www.joc.org.uk/Jocpage2.htm

and they have a forum you could join that's moderately active.

From the JHPS site:

July 5, 1974 17184
VIN 17500, DOM 7-8-74
9-13-74, 18049
Oct 8, 1974 18309

So I'd estimate 17798 was made early September, 1974.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Congratulions on the latest purchase!

So, let's have the gory details, condition, work needed, etc.......

Photos would be nice.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

OP
D

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks Everyone for the encouraging words. The car is a four speed early 74 with chrome bumpers. 61,000 miles. White in color with one repaint. It's still in California, am hoping to fly out free with rewards points to pick it up and drive it back. The seller however must do some brake work first and that may hold us up, along with sundry other boring obligations such as work and not so boring such as getting the head back on my TR7. Thanks for the tip about the timing belt. I had wondered about it as it's out side the engine and apparently vulnerable, but hopefully easy to replace. Our "PC"turned me on to Delta Motorsports in Phoenix for parts and tech help and they suggested adjustment of the booster pushrod to help the "brake locking" problem the seller alluded to. I am going to relay that to seller and hope he can use the info.Thanks again everyone and God Bless. Dale

smcmanus

Jedi Hopeful
Welcome aboard! The JH is an interesting obscure little car. I went through the engine on mine. It is quite complicated and deserves patient care and fiddling. It is too cool. Parts are expensive but available. It is the lowest cost exotic on earth and has little investment potential. This actually makes it more desirable to me and less so to the Gucci loafer wall street crowd. When it comes time to do the timing belt, make sure you seek experienced advice because one little slip can cost thousands. If you can't get on the JH site, you are free to ask me. I am not the most JH experienced guy out there, but I have been there and done it.
Have a nice day
Steve

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Same offer stands here. And you may find the "factory manual" a bit less-than helpful. Better is the Official Lotus one. As Steve stated, they're requiring of thoroughness if worked on. Patience and double-checking are good things to keep in mind.

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
Had two of 'em for about a year... Sold both of them to a guy on E-Bay in Norway. Buh-buy! Now I need to do the same to my 'vette for a "pure" Triumph stable! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

OP
D

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Haven't taken posession of it yet, but am encouraged by events. Seller (not the owner) insisted I find a local repair facility to take the car to before I made any plans to drive it from San Diego to NM. Had it towed to British Auto Repair in San Diego and spent a little over a grand for brake work a new alternator and a thorough checking over. Am now making plans to fly out next month and drive it back. Have learned that I am the third owner, that the 61,000 is actual mileage. The timing belt was replaced 1000 miles back and I believe it has been well cared for and not abused. Can't wait to actually see and drive it, but will have to. Have some pics, but am unable to do the right click thing on them and post them. It is white with tan interior and am told that is the original color and trim.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Do you have any idea when the valves were last adjusted? Did the shop check valve clearance?

If not, that’s the first thing to check when you get it home. It’s a time consuming (and rather tedious) process so it’s expensive to have it done and a lot of DPO’s haven’t done it often enough. Burned exhaust valves are pretty common.

PC.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
..and there's plenty of 'em to burn, too. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Dale, I have a pair of JH's once sounds much like yours, the other a project being cobbled together from a god 7'4 body and a good 75 drivetrain. I'm located in Phoenix, so as you drive back from San Deigo if you're interested in shooting the breeze, comparing cars, finding a good place to eat, etc, let me know. Send me a private message and I'll give you my phone #.

Jody

Daimlerdb18

I'm contemplating buying a pair of JHs here in deepest SE Texas. Both are 1973 vintage. One is a parts car with some nasty rust on the sills behind the front wheels. The other seems to be rust free, but in need of attention in the engine tuning department and interior. The cloth top is good and there is a hard top included in the deal. The car runs, but the steering wheel has vertical play in the column. The engine is running just a little rough, but starts easily. The timing belt cover is missing, but the belt was reportedly replaced 3,000 miles ago and the car has around 60K on the clock.
How often should the belt be replaced and what other items peculiar to JHs should I check before committing to purchase?
Thanks!!!

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
JH peculiarities:
1) Timing belt every 18,000 miles (there's an upgrade from Dave Bean engineering that'll go longer)
2) Cam cover leakage- There's aftermarket rubber gaskets. If the vehicle doesn't have them, get them. Otherwise it's an especialy leaky LBC.
3) Fuel T. If it has the a plastic fuel t between the carbs, replace it immediately with a metal one. Those were the source of many engine fires.

The rest is fairly straighforward standard stuff on any old car. There are some serious rust areas that aren't immediately visible. Check the floorboards and particularly the seat mounting points. Another place to check is under the fuel tank. It tends to be a moisture trap.

Best parts sources are Delta Motorsports and Jensen Healey Preservation Society.

They're really fun cars to drive when you've got them sorted properly. Oh, and in regards to the steering play, it's likely that the steering arm that reaches the steering rack is worn. You can get a rebuilt/replacement one. It's an annoyingly tight fit, but not that hard to do.

Oh, and check the hood. The hood support is poorly placed and there tends to be buckling in the hood at that point. Delta motorsports sells the conversion for the later (75) hood support that's much better.

Jody

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'd be for changing that belt ASAP. Regardless of the "mileage". And re-install the cover.

Rust is the only real enemy. The mechanicals can be addressed.

Daimlerdb18

Thanks gents! I'm going to ask the owner for another tour of the running one. Now to figger out where to put two more cars.

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
If you want any more info I'd be happy to oblige. Send me a PM and I'll give you my phone # if you want to chat.

Regardless of whether you buy the cars or not, can you tell me the VIN# of the cars? We've got some folks that track that sort of thing, and I'd like to be able to pass on the information.

Jody

OP
D

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi All, Finally getting back on the forum to fill you in on my J-H. We are loving it. Renee prefers it to the 7 for comfort, especially since I got the new seat support straps in and we're not doing the low rider thing. The drivers seat needed a bit more work as the floor was rusted through under the rear seat mount. So much for the "rust free California car" though I have yet to find any other serious rust problems. And I have looked. Don't know why that one area was bad and perhaps don't want to know. Have put off replacing the timing belt, but will soon along with the adjustment idler bearings. Drove it too Durango last evening and returned around 10 pm, very nice drive and the engine heat in the cockpit is not so noticeable when it's cooler. Do need to adjust the head lights though as no one seemed offended by my brights. Am impressed with the instuments compared with my 7,especially the fuel gauge and voltmeter. Was able to get my odometer working with parts from a $50 spare I got off e-bay. It had quit about the time I left California. I can't remember if I shared about the drive back from San Diego, but I can if anyones interested. I have been on the JHPS site lately more than here and have been getting their excellent newsletter. In fact my car was featured in the February issue pg 15. Take care all and God Bless. Dale