• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mini 1.3spi starting probs

linedupforglory

Freshman Member
My Mini Cooper 1.3i has been of the road for about 4 months now, I've put in a new battery, cleaned plugs and changed rotor arm dist cap but engine will not fire. I can hear the petrol pump buzzing but no sign of it firing. What would be the next thngs to check?

Thanks
Jeff

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
Are you sure it's an ignition problem? Or are you in a "I'll keep changing things 'till something works" mode?

First.....check to see if spark is getting to the plugs. Pull a plug, lay it against the block and have somebody crank the car over and see if it sparks. Check all of the plugs to see if they spark. If they do, you've probably got a fuel problem.

OP
L

linedupforglory

Freshman Member
Thanks Xracer I'm going to try that 1st thing tomorrow. If I do get a decent spark from the plugs and I start looking toward the fuel what would you suggest to try 1st?

Thanks
Jeff

Bugeye58

Yoda
If you do have spark, check to see if you are getting fuel to the carbs. If you are, take the tops of the float chambers off, and make sure the needles aren't stuck closed.
Or, and this can be a bit dangerous on occasion, squirt a little raw fuel into the carb throats, and see if it will start, or at least fire. Always a good idea to have a fire extinguisher handy when using this method. Ideally, in your hand at the ready position whilst someone else cranks the engine over.
Jeff

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
Well, if you've got a fuel problem.....that is a problem. If your fuel pump is pumping, then it's something in the single-point-fuel-injection sytem, and I don't know beans about them.

Carburators are old fashioned, but at least I can fiddle with 'em.

Unless somebody here knows something about SPI, you may have to break down and take it to a mechanic.

Sorry.....I'm a quill pen guy who's been fast-forwarded into the age of computers!
grin.gif

OP
L

linedupforglory

Freshman Member
Well I've given up, was getting a good spark and could get a healthy sound from the electronic fuel pump but it didn't start at all. Narrowed it down to an electrical prob, like an immoboliser or injection fault.
Cars gone into a MG Rover garage today my last resort. I'll let you know what the prob was and what the nice people at rover charged me!
Thanks for your help.
Jeff

OP
L

linedupforglory

Freshman Member
Hmmm
The MG Rover garage rang me to today to say they can get the car to start but runs for 30 seconds but then cuts out!! They have checked the fuel injection and ignition all seemed to be fine, so they are still investigating.What do you think it could be?

Jeff

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
The Prince of Darkness strikes again? Perhaps an electrical gremlin in the SPI unit?

.....or, I'm wondering if it could be something as simple as a clogged fuel filter....perhaps an internal one in the injection system (if they have one in there)?

I dunno.....just one the many joys of owning a Mini!
rolleyes.gif

[ 12-12-2003: Message edited by: Xracer ]</p>

OP
L

linedupforglory

Freshman Member
MG Rover got back to me today to say they think the valves are sticking after the car has been left standing for a few hours. One of their senior mechanics is going to put some sort of engine treatment in and take the car home tonight to give it a run, does this sound ok to you?

Thanks
Jeff

OP
L

linedupforglory

Freshman Member
Hi
They took a while but cars back now. After all the problem it was cutting out was a temperature switch in the injection system?? Cars running really well now.

Thanks for all your help again.
Jeff

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
Well, glad your Mini is back on the road.

That's one reason I don't like SPI....too many complicated little pieces to go crump!