• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT I want this 67 GT.

RickB

Yoda
67-GT

It's a complete 67 GT the guy was saying he absolutely wanted to part out ("I'll get more money that way").
Through several emails I kept bugging him until tonight he said he would sell for $500.

The thing is, I have no way of towing it from Chehalis (100 miles) if I can't get it to run.
I've asked him for more info about whats wrong with it, so far he says "electrical".

I'd really like to save this one if possible.
But like I said I don't know how I would get it home if I couldn't get it running. Ideas?

Rent/borrow a trailer and a truck with a hitch.

mk2sprite

Jedi Hopeful
Rick
How about renting a toe dolly and something with a hitch and toe dolly it??? will cost a few dollars but?? or borrow a car/truck with the hitch and rent a dolly.
Mike

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You haven't paid him yet?!?!?!

If nothing else, rent a big U-Haul truck, drive over there, push the car up inside & bring it home!!

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
"He who hesitates is lost."

I'm with the others Rick, go get it tomorrow if you can. That looks like a heck of a deal.

Good luck.

Matt

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Agreed, but I have nothing that has a hitch on it. Nothing.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
ohhh... that just sounds so wicked...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Sign up for aaa with the good towing plan and have it brought right to your doorstep [/QUOTE]

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Can't you do a flat tow with your MGC! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif My dad tells stories about moving in the mid 70s with his 70 Chevelle and pulling his Sunbeam Tiger behind it with by the bumpers.

swift6

Yoda
AAA plus, which is the highest level you can get for automobiles (the next level is for motorhomes) has 100 free miles of towing (per tow). The annual fee is about $72 (at least here in Colorado). Try getting a car towed for 100 miles for $72. AAA follows the cardholder too so it can be used with any car. I've used it up to five times in a single year on five different cars. Have never been questioned and have never had to pay extra.

Wicked... maybe but its their rules. I only play by them. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Holy cow! Ropes and a Chevy! AAA! A ~bicycle~!!!

If it were within 100 miles of me, it'd be by "hook or crook" in my yard...

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Ok, now we just have to get over our little snow storm...

I need to email the owner with this plan and go look at the AAA website. Thanks for the great idea!

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Have they raised their prices?

From the web site

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]PLUS - AAA's best value membership! All the terrific benefits of AAA, plus free towing up to 100 miles (nominal charge thereafter) and extended services. Perfect for anyone who wants AAA's broadest, best-value coverage, for people commuting more than 5 miles to work or for those who do a lot of traveling in their cars. Only $89 a year. (We've waived the one-time $10 activation fee.)
[/QUOTE]

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'd definitely check with the AAA membership to see if there's a required grace period. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first one to try this stunt. If it were me I'd just rent a truck and trailer/tow dolly. 100 miles is nothing when so much is at stake.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Wait a minute, just looking over my current insurance policy and what did I find:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]
* Towing and labor expenses, up to $250 each occurrence.
* Spare Parts Coverage, up to $500.
* 24 hour claim service that makes reporting a claim swift and trouble free.
* Automatic coverage for 30 days on newly acquired collector cars
[/QUOTE]

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
RickB said:
Wait a minute, just looking over my current insurance policy and what did I find:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]
* Towing and labor expenses, up to $250 each occurrence.
* Spare Parts Coverage, up to $500.
* 24 hour claim service that makes reporting a claim swift and trouble free.
* Automatic coverage for 30 days on newly acquired collector cars
[/QUOTE]

BINGO! We have a winner!

Go get 'er, Rick!

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Pay him first and get the paperwork signed over to you. Worry about getting it moved after you own it. He who hesitates is lost. The trans core alone is worth dobule the asking price. I just towed two 67 gts with a tow dolly without any problems.
Get it in your name quick.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Thanks guys, I agree completely.
Parts alone on it are worth more to me than he is asking, but I'd still want to make her go rather than cut her up.

I've been able to coax a little more info out of him:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]this was my dads car and before he passed away he told me that it was running one day and then it would not start. he used to drive the car a lot, when it quit running he had about 20 mg's, and he just started driving another one, he was really into them, so as far as i know it should not take much to get it running, [/QUOTE]

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I get a little bit of info with each email he sends.
I asked about rust, he says:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]the car is not rust free, there is some rust in one fender, but the floors look good[/QUOTE]

So I have asked him whether it's just surface rust or if its cancer & how much.