• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A question of Cooling

RCL

I was thinking of adding a sump guard on Mum's Mini...along with a euro - plate on the front end....but I'm afraid it will eliminate much of the cooling for the sump. Since it has fins on it...I'm sure there is some attempt at additional cooling going on there.

Has anyone experience an major change in temperatures with the addition of either of these (or both)???

RCL
patriot.gif

raysmuckles

Freshman Member
you do see a slight increase in oil temp with a sump guard... generally people use a small oil cooler to compensate if the car is being used in competition...

for day to day use (in UK type climate, cos thats where i am!!!) a sumpguard really doesnt affect anything.... get one that has the holes if you can..

oh and they look well cool too...

dave
england.gif

OP
R

RCL

Thanks Dave..... I was looking at one with holes. Does a lower mounted license plate cause addition loss of cooling, too ?

Rick

Graham

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
When they were new in Australia back in the 70s a lot of the country minis were fitted with sumpguards. They did not seem to mind them at all, the temperature could be up to 100 plus degrees and the driver would nearly melt because of no air cond but the cars performed just as well as ones with no guard. I did an aprenticeship with the local Leyland Australia distributors, and in the seven years I worked there I dont think I ever saw a mini that overheated because of a sump guard, lots of other things but not that. I dont know if yours would have the same spec cooling though, as Zetland built (Aust) cars sometimes upgraded the cooling a bit but I recon you can fit on without any problem.

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
Rick....as long as you don't block the grille, and your Mini engine is relatively stock, your overall engine temperature shouldn't be affected.

There might be a very slight increase in oil temperature (with a sumpguard), but nothing to be concerned about. In your case, the Mini 1000 engine is not a highly stressed unit and should be able to handle a sumpguard with no sweat....even during those hot PA summers.

Generally speaking, unless you're running a very hot 1275+ engine on the street, or a Mini in competition, engine oil temperature is not a problem.

Just make sure you use a quality 20w-50 engine oil, keep it up to the "full" mark, and change it (and the filter) every 3000 miles.

[ 11-02-2003: Message edited by: Xracer ]</p>

Graham

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Xracer is giving you good advice about the lubrication. It is far more important with all the front wheel drive BMC cars than most people apreciate especialy on a Cooper or clubman G.T.