• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Camera Questions

Bret

Yoda
Hey folks,

Well my son just informed me that he needs a camera for the photography class he's taking this semester. According to his notes he needs a SLR 35mm camera with an adjustable aperture and shutter.

Teacher recommended

The Canon K2
35MM SLR

And said it can be had at Sears for about $200.

Well doing some searching on the web – I found that these cameras range from about $150 for just the body to $220 (not counting shipping & tax of course) for the camera body with a w/ EF 28-80 II lens kit.

Truthfully I’m a bit disappointed as I told him that I didn’t want him taking this class unless he could barrow a camera from the school or get a loner from someone. Obviously $200 isn’t all I’m going to be shelling out for this class and suspect he’ll need all sorts of other stuff like film & a carrying case etc. But I don’t want to spend a fortune on this stuff as it seems like a heck of a lot of money for something that he’ll hardly use when class is over at the end of the year - plus it’s cutting into my already meager budget for my cars. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Another thing that bothers me is that my son is somewhat “neglectful” about such items having broke, lost or had stolen no less than three cell phones and a very expensive I-Pod that I refuse to replace.

Anyway any camera advice would be welcome? He needs this thing by Monday.

Cheers,
Bret

A

aerog

Suggestion? Ebay, pawn shops, or local dealers. There's a glut of 35mm equipment on the market. Look for something like a Pentax K1000

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
aerog said:
Suggestion? Ebay, pawn shops, or local dealers. There's a glut of 35mm equipment on the market. Look for something like a Pentax K1000
So I'm guessing that would adjustable aperture & shutter and equal more or less to the Canon K2 I listed above?

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Most local camera shops will have used cameras and lenses. Go in and explain what you need and they may be able to help for a lot less. Dan's Camera City here in Allentown PA is known to suggest you buy something less expensive than what you are looking for instead of trying to get the top $ sale and selling more than you need. Surely there are other shops like at this in other areas with good customer service.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
aerog said:

There's th' deal.

K-1000's are about th' best thing since pockets on shirts.

Scott Knows, I concurr. If he's goin' thru a "film" course that K-1000 will work as well as an MGB does.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Film or digital...

Film is passez... If he wants to be "cotemporay" he NEEDS the digital stuff.

If he wants to know how it came to be "digital" he should go get a K-1000 and find out.

....just my opinion here.

A

aerog

Duh... I didn't even see Bret said Canon K2. I was thinking Pentax K2!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mee too, Scott.

No harm, no foul.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Old School Doc! Film for sure according to his paperwork.

I looked at the K2 on Amazon for $219 and have seen some referbs K2 listed for less than a new body. I also looked into a K-1000 and found a pretty good deal. But I've got a line on a guy who says he had two film cameras EOS-1N's that he has just sitting around.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well, you be th' judge. If he needs to go film, the K-1000 would be my choice.

swift6

Yoda
If he has a problem/history with breaking stuff then something like the K1000, as suggested, is the ticket. The EOS will have expensive chips that can break if abused to much, plus can allow some 'cheating' by letting the camera do the work.

The K1000 is an excellent learning camera. Though they seem to be getting pricey lately. Holding value as well. That way you might be able to get your money back out of it when he's done with the class. If he doesn't want to continue with the craft that is.

If I were the teacher, I would also require a fixed focal length lens. Most likely a 50mm. Didn't seem to be a requirement either way for fixed or zoom so don't be afraid of fixed focal lengths. Again, better learning tool.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Bret there are tons of older 35MMs at dirt cheap prices.
examples of inexpensive cameras include the Pentax K1000 (a decent student camera in its day), Olympus OM-1 (a great little camera)
Now the problem with any old camera is that you don't know what sort of damage has occurred and if it hasn't been used there can be some issues from lack of use, just like our LBCs.

My first choice would be to go to a local camera shop and ask it they have any used cameras with a guarantee. (look for private shops, the chain stores don't have anything) however this will most likely be a bit more expensive (or maybe not) tell them you are looking for an inexpensive camera suitable for a class.

choice two, flea bay, look for an Olympus OM-1, Nikon FM, Nikon FE, all semi pro grade cameras, well made and most likely owned by people how knew something about them. In particular there are a bunch of OM-1s which are close to the end of the auction currently around $50-75 with a 50mm lens.

Also take a look in local classifieds.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Actually those Russian SLRs look kind of interesting wouldn't mind having one myself. But I bet it'd be quite the conversation peice in class should I get one of them for him.

So Nial have you ever owned one?

The last link to the "Zenit KM" looks interesting. Modern looks with manual everything!

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Hey Fella's

What'a think of this one?

K1000 package deal

Edit: I'm trying to contact the seller to see if he'd be willing to ship overnight or express mail it because I need it by Monday. If he agrees I'll buy it!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
They're near bulletproof, take about any K-mount lens and are the best inexpensive 35mm built for anyone wanting to learn the craft.

I've literally sold hundreds of 'em to students. I highly recommend it. It'll be working long after those Zenit THINGS are DUST!

Anyone remember 35mm Practika SLR's? Pentacon lenses? Yuck.

A

aerog

The optics from the Pentax lenses are going to be better (or at least more consistent) than some of the eastern-bloc stuff.

K1000 was the old standard. When you're not using it as a camera it can double as a hammer.

I remember Practika. Barf. Nice conversation pieces.