• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A weight of tr3 body?

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Does anyone know the approximate weight of the TR3 body -with hood, doors, trunk, interior etc removed? I finally got the body on a home-made wooden frame, basically resting on a pair of 2x4's and I'm surprised at how much the rear 2x4 is bowing under the weight. It seems as I could lift the body alone, if it were a bit smaller.

Jerry

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Jerry;

Relative to the weight of the body; I have no idea what that is. I would only guess somewhere between 600-800lbs??

But, Thats one heck of a nice garage you have there. Those super high ceilings and doors is what I would love to have one day! Is that a commercial garage or at home? Just curious.

Regards, Russ

BryanC

Jedi Hopeful
I don't know for sure what it weighs but I know that my father and I easily lifted the bare body tub of my MGA off of the frame (20 years ago). I would guess that the MGA tub was in the 200 lb range - it certainly wasn't 600 lb or we couldn't have lifted it. The TR3 should be in the same range. I used a hoist to pull the body tub off of my TR6 but as you say, I can easily lift one end by myself. Again I would guess 200 to 300 lb. In both cases, I rested the tub on a pair of saw horses made with 2x4s.

Bryan

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
There were 4 of us when we put the body back on the frame of my TR3A and no-one said it was too heavy. That was in 1990.

See the one we finished last year. It didn't cause our rig to sag.

Attachments

• 9462.jpg
    9462.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 188

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Jerry-

I think its the weight of that empty Rolling Rock that is giving you trouble. Maybe you should put one on each side of the frame to balance things out!

Randy

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Don't know the weight, but your setup should support it very well. Might be a case of bracing at the back - looks like the rear 4x4's are splayed out a bit, which would cause the 2x4 to sag.

Mickey

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I weighed the TR4A tub when I was flipping it over to work on the bottom. Including the metal "exoskeleton" I built to hold the tub together and not deform as well as hold wheels so I could push it around, the total weight was 400 or so pounds (assuming putting a bathroom scale under each leg of the frame in turn and adding the weights gives a valid figure). Go to my web site and check out the pictures on my TR4A page to see what I am talking about.

As Don said, four of up were able to pick it up with ease. And six of us were able to flip it over with ease though I don't think with the running around and pictures being taken did we ever have all six on the tub at the same time.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Four of us easily lifted a TR3 tub last night. We went to a friends house and helped him unload it off his trailer and into the garage. Definatly not over 500 pounds, more likley around 400. That rig should support it fine.
I have mine on a pair of sheet metal contractors saw horses right now. it's holding just fine.
Lifted mine off the frame with my cherry picker. Braced the door openings very similar to yours.

OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
toysrrus said:
But, Thats one heck of a nice garage you have there. Those super high ceilings and doors is what I would love to have one day! Is that a commercial garage or at home? Just curious.

Russ, it's the attached garage to my house. The over sized appearance is mostly the photography (taken from the floor at the opposite end). The door is regular sized (8'Wx7'T), but it's a story and a half at the back end. I wish it had a single large door, but for 2 TRs, the double doors work fine. A full sized truck will not fit in there -unless I fold in the mirrors and remove the work bench and sink and almost everything else.

RollingRock and I both used to be from Pa. Only a forum guy would notice the *empty* bottle!

Thanks for all the feedback. I put a prop under the sag while it's waiting to be pushed in/out and worked on again. I think it's supported well, but prefer to be sure of it.

I don't think weighing each corner and adding is close to accurate. Is it? Then again, I don't know the exact strength of a 2x4 either.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Went to Tec school in Blairsville PA. We used to joke that our dorm was 33 miles from "Old Latrobe" It was in fact just about that (I think it was 35 actually). My good college buddy Rick Mayer lived in Latrobe. He was, of course, "The Mayer of Latrobe"
Between Latrobe, Greensburg, Indiana (IUP), Pittsburgh and Ricks 79 Z28 we had a good time.

OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
IUP was the place to be. I stayed there one summer. The girls out numbered the guys 6 to 1. I had my brothers TR4 well known as "a nostalgic sports car". Either I was popular or the car was. The local police once pulled me over for being overloaded -me and 6 girls. No weight or max capacity tags... memories.

The mayor is funny.

Tosh

Jedi Trainee
FWIW;
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:](I think it was 35 actually) [/QUOTE]
Actually less than half that distance (if your dorm was in Blairsville).
Vale Tech is now Wyotech and it's digs are northeast of town, near Blairsville High School on what was farmland when I was younger.
IUP?...yeaaa baabaay.

Keep on.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Wyotech is where the students (and maybe a few profs too) are assembling a new and real replica AMBRO based on an early TR3 with TR frame and all the running gear. The original ones were built around 1958 to 1960. I photographed the green one in 1996. The white one is what is being assembled for Joe in Iowa.

Attachments

• 9503.jpg
    9503.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 9504.jpg
    9504.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 78

Tosh

Jedi Trainee
Boy, the things one would not know w/o the forum.

Nice vintage project (replica)?

keep on.