• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Disneyland Rov er

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Seen as a prop in the "safari" area of Disneyland (we just got back yesterday).
There was another Landie (also a prop) out in the "wilderness" area which we saw during a tour/ride on a flatbed truck...this one was on a walkpath.

Both of these LRs were decent and very restorable. Too bad.
I also saw two pretty realistic Submarine Spirfire WW II airplanes, but they turned out to be fiberglass replicas.

landrover.jpg

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Nial...reminds me of Jurasic park...but on the serious side of Rovers...I'm needing to upgrade my SUV this spring and nothing has caught my eye until recently. Now considering going "ALL BRIT". the Land Rovers specifically Discovery HSE's in the 2004-2006 range have my current fancy. Any experience from the BCF forum with regards to yay/nays on the make and model,,,sorry to twist the thread but thought it was a good lead-in....thanks

G

Slow. Underpowered. Shoat pig going round corners.
Expensive to fix. Lousy gas mileage. Ferocious depreciation from new. We had an 04 HSE, swapped it for an 06 LR3. On the plus side it had a normal receiver and the wiring harness was $100.

The LR3 is a better car all round, unless you want to tow, and then it's ridiculously expensive to get the hitch. Lease on that is up in September, and at this juncture the next car in this house is going to be a truck - probably an 09 F-150 Supercrew...

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
alana...WOW...goes to show looks aren't everything....I did see the major drop in retail price from new to 2006...quite dramatic...the V8 mpg was 13/17..again not too great...but I thought that may have most to do with reatil price due to current gas prices...apparently more to the story...thanks..nice thing about till spring...gives me time to shop around..

G

Oh I forgot - the electrical system could have been designed by Sir Joseph himself. It had 'issues' almost every time it went in. Fortunately it was under warranty, and the LR Service writers are first rate.

That said, it was comfy to sit in. I did some long hauls in it without problems.

One other small piece of advice - don't look at the Freelander. The one we had was even worse than then Disco. It had 3 cpus in 3 months. Every time we went up to VT and the temperature went below freezing it would blow. The final straw for that one was when it needed brakes and rotors after about 15k. The LR service center refused to do anything about it, telling me that the rotors are a wear item, which explains why it stops so well. Pads I would have been ok with, but rotors...

I traded the car in the same day for the Disco at a different dealership. It ended my relationship with the LR dealer in Manhattan, which was slightly shortsighted of them, since we've had two other LRs in 3 years.

skucera

Rotors have been wear items on most European cars for more than 20 years. Yeah, it's more expensive, but that is the price of reduced unsprung weight.

I'm not surprised that the Freelander was so unreliable. The models designed under BMW have all been much less reliable than those designed under British ownership. Consumer Reports lists Land Rover as one of its all-time least reliable manufacturers. I expected the LR3 to exhibit this trend, so it is encouraging to read that you really like your truck.

Our Range Rover Classic has been mechanically very reliable, but the electrics have reminded us at every turn that the Prince of Darkness lives. This week the driver's window stopped working, and last week the light switch on the rear window conked out. I'll look into these when the weather dries out.

Scott

G

I didn't say I ~liked~ it. I just said that it was better than the one that it preceeded. Overtaking doesn't require a day's notice now, and you don't get seasick going round corners.

And as to the rotors on the Freelander, I understand that they are wear items, but they shouldn't need replacing at 15k after normal driving. It's not like I tracked it...

skucera

I agree, 15000 miles for brakes is unacceptable. I had a Toyota MR2 which went through its rear tires in 8000 miles. The first set prompted me to have an expensive four wheel alignment done, and the car was perfectly aligned. The dealer said that wearing out rear tires that fast was normal, but it had never been normal on any car I'd owned up to that point. I found that other MR2 owners on the then "new" internet were also seeing tire wear like mine. I lived with it, but two sets of rear tires a year was tiresome (no pun intended... sorry).

Scott