• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

We need more Minis!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Ok guys, go beat the bushes! We need more Mini owners here! One of our slower forums - Come on you Mini guys and gals - go get your Mini friends to join!
Basil

G

little bitty short people?
grin.gif

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Basil and all others, I'm a new Mini owner as of
a few days ago. Couldn't help but snap up a
little "toy"('69 Mini with a Sprint Turbo engine
crammed under the hood/bonnet). Have been way too
busy as of late to be active on the forum, but
hope to have more time for all things LBC as things get back to 'normal'. So, add one more
Mini owner to your forum, Basil!
thumbsup.gif

- Carl -

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> Rulle7 said: Couldn't help but snap up a
little "toy"('69 Mini with a Sprint Turbo engine
crammed under the hood/bonnet). <hr></blockquote>

Is that another car from out of Saskatchewan? It sounds very similar to one I've heard of in Regina, Saskatchewn.

One of our members (not the owner of the car) did a small write up on the car. Sounded fanstastic from what he described.

By the way, Carl, check out my posting for the new sports car club I'm starting up in Barrie. You're welcome out.

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sherlock, it sounds like it is the same car you heard of, would love to read what was said about it! Will indeed join BSCCOC and your new club as
well, any info greatly appreciated.
The Mini needs a respray and some general TLC,
but it does have potential to be a awesome
little 'toy'! Cant wait for the salt to be gone
from the roads so she can stretch her legs, gives
me time for that TLC, though.
You can always e-mail me on: rulle7@hotmail.com
I'm only 30 minutes south of Barrie, so why not come and give her a spin yourself!?

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Carl,

As I recall, the guy who wrote about it liked it a lot, and also mentioned the motorcycle engined Lotus Super Seven kit car and an original Lotus Seven that were also in the same shop.

Anyway, for my little club, the first meeting is on Thursday February 6th at 7:00 in the evening at the Bull & Barrel Pub. Here are the directions - head onto the 400 and head north to the Dunlop St exit (within Barrie), take the second ramp that is underneath the bridge (that should point you westbound on Dunlop), in about a block you will see the first set of traffic lights, turn right there (this should be Cedar Pointe Drive), go up a series of strip malls and look for 75 which is the last set of buildings on your right, and the pub is in behind the front buildings.

Hopefully see you there,
James

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
And one more thing I forgot Carl,

If you are free on Sunday January 26th, I'll be heading down to the BSCCOC meeting in Milton, and be roughly heading by your way. It starts at 11:00 in the morning, so I usually leave here at around 10:00. And the meeting typically wraps up around 2:00ish. If you think you want to come along, give me a shout and we can figure something out.
cheers.gif

And if you're coming bring along some car pictures, at the last meeting they encouraged members to bring along picture albums of cars. I'll be bringing about two or three of my seven phone albums!

MGAdams

Hey,
Regina, Saskatchewan Mini's and Super7. Know the Super7 and likely the mini, and probably have pictures. Also a mini-pick-up, a europa, an elite, and many other LBC's. Must find a way to post a link to a bunch of these images ... and will try and recruit a few friends to contribute to the mini and lotus forums.

I am from Regina, and have an MGB restoration.

Mike

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MGAdams:
Hey,
Regina, Saskatchewan Mini's and Super7. Know the Super7 and likely the mini, and probably have pictures. Also a mini-pick-up, a europa, an elite, and many other LBC's. Must find a way to post a link to a bunch of these images ... and will try and recruit a few friends to contribute to the mini and lotus forums.

I am from Regina, and have an MGB restoration.

Mike
<hr></blockquote>

Thanks Mike! (Check the tutorial under the help button menu for details on how to post images in messages).

Cheers,
Basil

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MGAdams:
Okay, I will try to post some of the Regina cars mentioned in the above posts, but I wish there was a test site to make the first attempts. Forgive me if I mess up.

The Honda fireblade CarbonFibre Super7
The Mini Pick-up Now in Brandon, Manitoba

Mike

[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: MGAdams ]
<hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately, it looks like you're trying to post from one of those freebie picture hosting sites and they don't allow direct links to the pictures they store. If, however, you can download them to your computer, then email them to me, I will put them on my server and post them for you.
Basil

[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

MGAdams

Basil,
And Mini forum, some of the pictures of the Regina cars are in an album at the link below. Last three are The Lotus7, The Turbo Sprint Mini and the Mini Pick-up (now in Brandon) The older archive pictures of the MGB are hopefully what me MGB will be restored back to after removing many years of previous racer renovations.

Try this
web page

Mike

[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: MGAdams ]</p>

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Hi MGAdams,

Great pictures, and welcome to a fellow Canadian. I'm actually originally from Calgary, just temporarily transplanted out east.

As for Mini pickups, there are quite a few running around Ontario, many of them coming over from the U.K. in recent years (as the licence plate number on your picture also suggests). And, if I'm not mistaken that other Mini belongs to a guy out here near Toronto. And that is one wild looking Lotus Seven replica, and I've been told that is a wild driver too.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> Rosalind said: I wonder if there are any mini sky's in america?<hr></blockquote>

There might be... I don't know about the States, but in Canada any Mini 1986 or older can be legally brought into the country. So many dealers and individuals are bring over the 1981 and newer Rover Mini's into Canada. One special version I saw over here recently was a Mini 40th Anniversary special editon badged as a 1983 model (obviously a 1989 model!) Last I heard a dealer got busted for trying to sell that same car as a 1983 model. But a 1985 Rover Mini can be legally sold here.

In the States the import rules are 25 years or older, so they have to bring in slightly older Mini's.

huck6

Jedi Trainee
I'm not yet an owner, but am definately a fan. Hoping to buy a MKII, but it is difficult to convince my wife of purchasing a car that is older than either of us.

BTW, why exactly are the younger cars not allowed in US? Is it a matter of EPA and safety? Are our standards really that much higher than the rest of the world?

zanzibar

Yes Huck, It's DOT and EPA regs.

I may be overly cynical, but I don't think it's that our standards are higher. It's just that they're different. I suspect it started as a way to protect the domestic industry from foreign competition. Make the foreign companies spend extra money to comply with regulations that do not exist anywhere else.

I could be wrong.

[ 03-01-2003: Message edited by: zanzibar ]</p>

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> Huck6 said: BTW, why exactly are the younger cars not allowed in US? Is it a matter of EPA and safety? Are our standards really that much higher than the rest of the world? <hr></blockquote>

There is one slightly illegal ways people use to register Mini's on either side of the border (Canada or U.S.) There are lots of ownerships that belong to scrapped Mini's floating around, and from there all you do is attach that older ownership to the newer Mini.

Like I said, slightly illegal... I have some friends up here in Canada who have Mini's like that. And I think most of the time it's not a big issue, the only reason why the dealer mentioned in my previous post got busted is because someone complained to the authorities.

[ 03-01-2003: Message edited by: Sherlock ]</p>

Travellering

Freshman Member
Joining in, first post on this board. I bought a 66 morris mini traveller from New Zealand in January. From what I have seen the import regs do seem to be just a form of trying to help out the American motor companies who insist on making inferior cars. The cars they block are often more fuel efficient, more lively and fun to drive, and so on than the american tempos and crudpiles we get to have
pukeface.gif
. Oh well... .

huck6

Jedi Trainee
OK, so now I am understanding a bit more. I knew about the 1973 cutoff, but I was seeing plenty of 1977-79's for sale at specialty dealerships like Turky's, etc.

Sort of illegal, that's like sort of pregnant right?
grin.gif