• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

So Cal Mini Gathering Aug 25?

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Hi,

Was driving up PCH from Laguna Beach, CA to Newport Beach on Sunday August 25 and saw at least a dozen original Minis heading south. One Mini had a camera man shooting film or video at the string of Minis behind. Anybody here involved or know what was going on?

With all the excitment created by the new Mini, I have to think the old guard is seeing an appreciation of value and interest.

cheers.gif

John

DougR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hey John! I was at donut derelicts Saturday morning. There were about 20 minis there just hanging out before leaving for the O.C. Fairgrounds. Big convention there all weekend. Not enough mini people here to keep us posted. Too bad , that. At any rate, British cars were WELL represented last Sat.

OP
John Loftus

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Hi Doug,

The donut derelicts is in Huntington, right? I still haven't checked that out. Been meaning to but the Healey is stipped down to the chassis right now for body work and repaint. Such good driving weather right now too!!

So there was a big Mini convention at O.C. Fairgrounds? Wish I had known about it.

cheers.gif
John

zanzibar

That was Mini Meet West. There are 3 major North American Mini shows each year:

Spring Thing is held in February in Florida.

Mini Meet East is in early summer in the Eastern US or Canada. MME 2002 was in Charleston SC in May. MME 2003 will be in Montreal in
June.

Mini Meet West is normally scheduled for late summer in the Western US or Canada. MMW 2002 was in Southern California. I think MMW 2003 will be in Vancouver BC.

ST 2002 had about 105 classic Minis. MME had 135 classics and 40 new MINIs. MMW had about the same attendance as MME. That's a TON of Minis in one place, and a GREAT bunch of car nuts.

This is my first visit to the board. I'm looking for info on Spridgets, so I'll keep looking, but I couldn't resist the Mini threads. You can see my baby in my profile. If anybody wants more Mini info, visit the Mini Mania message board https://www.minimania.com/msgthreads.cfm It's very active.

Jeff

[ 09-07-2002: Message edited by: zanzibar ]</p>

DougR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
welcome in Zanzibar!!! Many of us would love to know about Mini gatherings (before they happen) I just lucked out I guess. Please use this forum to communicate with British car lovers around the world! And tell a friend!
yesnod.gif

DougR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
welcome in Zanzibar!!! Many of us would love to know about Mini gatherings (before they happen) I just lucked out I guess. Please use this forum to communicate with British car lovers around the world! And tell a friend!
yesnod.gif

zanzibar

Thanks for the welcome Doug. There's a pretty good event listing at MiniMania.com https://www.minimania.com/Events.cfm

For those in the Northeast, Mini is the featured Mark at Watkins Glen this weekend (only a partial day left).

Spring Thing info: "FLAME Spring Thing 2003 will again be held in Clearwater/St. Pete, FL. The dates will be MARCH 7, 8, and 9, 2003. The Hampton Inn will again be the host hotel and the room rate will still be $69! I have 100 rooms blocked. As last year reserve your room EARLY! We will be planning new events and there will be no rain tolerated for the weekend."

Here's the website for Mini Meet West 2003 https://www.minimeetwest.com/2003/index.html There's not much there yet, but it's coming.

There's no website for Mini Meet East 2003, but here's some info: The event will be in Magog Quebec, July 1-6. Sounds like a great deal for Americans. The US dollar goes pretty far in Canada. " https://www.cheribourg.com 40.00usd pp per night includes buffet breakfast. quote mme2003 as the entire 119 rooms are booked for mme2003. July 1-6 has been blocked. 1-800-567-6132.rates apply before and after if you'd like to ge there early or stay after. There are also cottages available.Please see their website."

Being in NC, I'm not familiar with most events outside the Southeast. In the Southeast, there's usually a good Mini showing at British Car Day at Chateau Elan in Braselton GA (early May), and theres a nice, small show in Flat Rock, NC in September that gets a dozen or so Minis: https://webpages.charter.net/mini1000/aitm2002.html and you can often find some Minis at vintage racing events.

For those in Southern CA, there's a very active club in L.A. https://www.moala.org that can provide info on shows, meetings, etc.

Mini gatherings are pretty casual; not really planned for the champagne and caviar crowd. Our idea of Concours competitions would make diehard car show nuts crazy. The Mini isn't car that takes itself too seriously, so the shows fit Mini folks perfectly. They're a ton of fun. Everybody's welcome, so even if you don't own a Mini, feel free to come.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Welcome zanzibar!

Thanks for the event info.

I registered for several Spridget webpages, but most were bulletin boards that get kind of hard to follow (the aviation listserve I'm on is also a bit much).

I much prefer the forum-style arrangement seen here at BCF. Basil has done a great job with it. If you need any Spridget info, me (and others) may be able to offer advice.

Regards,
Nial

-'66 Sprite (project), '67 Sprite (project-parts), '78 Spridget 1500 street/time-trials/vintage racer

[ 09-10-2002: Message edited by: aeronca65t ]</p>