• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Mini S

Ken1941

Freshman Member
Picked up the new red Mini S on Monday afternoon.
Two lane twisty roads are better than sex. Anywhere you stop, you get all kinds of questions. I opted for the USA Flag, and now that I have it, it was really the right thing to do. This one had the 17" wheel option installed. I lucked out, as I called the dealer on last Thursday to ask about them and what was available. He said the S was a 4 or 5 week wait. He Called back on Friday morning and said that he had a cancelation. I went over that afternoon, and took one for a test deive. That confirmed that I had to have one. Took delivery on Monday afternoon. No dealer additional mark up! The dealer is P&W Motors in Pittsburgh. Would like to hear from anyone in the Western PA area.
Happy Motoring!!
Ken

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Congrats! I'm starting to see about one a day around here...really *like* the red ones...If we didn't have so many new cars in the driveway, I'd try to convince someone in the family to buy one (so I could steal it occasionally). I had two of the original Minis...great cars in their day, but I really like this new one.

But, uhhh....the Mini's a great car and all....but there's *some* things it ain't "better than".....You gotta get out more Ken!
wink.gif

By the way, to see a great Mini "chase scene", check out the new movie "The Bourne Identity".

STYPERDRIVER

Freshman Member
I used to live in Pittsburgh and know the P&W dealership well. Now that the pricing has cooled off on the minis, I am getting interested in one. I have to convince my wife to drive a stickshift again, as the S only comes that way. I am sure you will enjoy the mini in Western Pa with all the hills. Watch out for potholes. They are lurking to eat up your 17" wheels.

OP
K

Ken1941

Freshman Member
It really is better, lasts for hours, never complains and is always available!!

I live south of the city, so the roads are not too bad, but you are correct about the pot holes
in the city.

I need to get a service manual, and see what needs to be done to increase the boost. It also needs a manifold vacuum/pressure indicator to see what is really going on.

Ken

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'd love to trade our Jeep in for one but my wife is wary of it being too small and of having just two doors (we have a 3 month old baby). How do you find the interior size?

Tiger

Jedi Warrior
S?
confused.gif

I didn't know the S was available yet; I've read so many articles on the Mini stating that the S will come out later -- uh, I guess it's now "later".

This AM I saw a New Mini on-the-road for the 1st time, some lady going the other way on a two-laner, sandwiched in the endless line of medium-size commercial vehicles that populate the roads here in the early morning; this only accentuates the small(er) size of the car.

And the first thing I thought (OK, second, right after "cool"!) was that someone couldn't wait for the S and settled for the base model.

Congrats on the new car!

William

Darth Vader
The S is indeed available, probably on a really limited basis, though. Saw one up at Road America the other weekend.
-William

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
I really have to wonder if the S is worth the money. You could pick up WRX or a RSX for the same cash.

STYPERDRIVER

Freshman Member
If it is your primary car, maybe the Wrx or Civic is a better choice. If it is a toy, the Mini is the ticket.

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
Congrats..everyone I meet who has one has nothing but great things to say about that awesome little car...and they are always with the biggest smiles of any driver on the road!

So far I have'nt seen one in red yet..just the silver and black top most often..

Post a photo if you can!

What color top?

Enjoy!

J

Jagdreamer

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ken1941:
It really is better, lasts for hours, never complains and is always available!!

I live south of the city, so the roads are not too bad, but you are correct about the pot holes
in the city.

I need to get a service manual, and see what needs to be done to increase the boost. It also needs a manifold vacuum/pressure indicator to see what is really going on.

Ken
<hr></blockquote>

Post pictures please!!
cheers.gif

JD

Bebo

Freshman Member
The Las Vegas outlet has had the S on thier lot since day one. They still have them all sold before they get off the truck(same with the standard model) so can't even get them to open a door and let me sit inside. Have any of you owners taken a ride in the back seat yet. My wife says no MINI unless a small adult can ride in comfort for at least 10 miles. Either that or sell my MGB.
(I DON'T THINK SO)

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by STYPERDRIVER:
If it is your primary car, maybe the Wrx or Civic is a better choice. If it is a toy, the Mini is the ticket.<hr></blockquote>

The mini S lists for under 20,000 without bells & whistles, but it at least has air. If you can actually buy one like that, its not a bad deal.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Problem is, at least out here, dealers are asking $4,000 additional dealer "markup", something I despised even when I was in the trade. Give it a year, and they will be discounting the things.

STYPERDRIVER

Freshman Member
Correct Steve. I am glad I don't crave a Mini now because I will NEVER pay a premium for any car. They can jab me through the trade-in and I may delude myself into thinking I got a good deal. But NO PREMIUMS!!! I am waiting till next year when the minihas an SMG shift setup. And I hope they clean up the crumby plastic dashboard fascia. The non S models have had some problems with faulty shift mechanisms. But they are really cute.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
My wife is really interested in a new Mini when her lease comes due in about 12 months' time. I have told her that she needs to get the 'S' version, as it will be more fun and hold its value better. Alternatives are few, as she wants something smaller than her present Chrysler 300M. The X-type 2.5 with manual tranny is in the picture too, but at around $20K the Mini takes some beating. She wants a manual transmission again, as she says that the automatic is "boring". That's my girl!

STYPERDRIVER

Freshman Member
My wife will not have a stick. That's why I am hopeful for the SMG. Also, I have been reading about some quality problems on the other mini board. They need to tidy up some cheap plastic problems.
lol.gif

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
BMW North America headquarters is here in NJ. I see tons of them at the dealerships..I haven't shopped the car myself but call around to a few in Bergen County NJ...

I wouldn't pay a premium on any car..List..ok but premium? NEVER!

I don't believe you will see SMG technology on this mini..I hope you do as its amazing tech..more likely the CVT tranny which is also quite impressive..(not as cool as SMG II technology but when the wife needs an automatic..the CVT is the way to go over traditional 4 speed automatics..

Good luck!

Cool car!

StevenA

Jedi Trainee
NEW MINIs...
"I think they're Gorgeous...I wanna kiss one". They aren't avail in Texas until oct or Nov...but I have seen two here so far. What is the current pricing (they are avail via classifieds here for 25.0 to 27.0) ?

64Spitfire

I have an Indie Blue with white roof..Got the base model MC. This is going to be the car my kids us the most and I didn't want them to have the extra boost of an S.
Got my car in March and have already put on over 4000 miles on it.Great car!