• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The new 163 hp supercharged Mini is coming..see the link!

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
2002 Mini Cooper S

The moment many have anticipated from BMW’s new Mini brand arrived at last at the 2001 Tokyo Motor Show. The classic Mini Cooper S, which raced on the European rally circuit in the 1960s, has finally been modernized and readied for sale. The Cooper S will make its North American introduction at the 2002 Greater Los Angeles Auto Show.

Dimensionally identical to the Mini Cooper that will soon launch in the United States, the S gets a 1.6-liter four-cylinder power plant made by Chrysler in Brazil, but it comes with a state-of-the-art supercharger to boost power to 163 horsepower vs. the normal engine’s 115 hp. The 0-to-60-mph acceleration time clocks in at 7.4 seconds.

A six-speed, short-shift manual gearbox and sport suspension PLUS package with automatic stability and traction control are standard equipment on the Cooper S, which sits on 16-inch wheels with run-flat tires. A large intake cowl feeds air into the supercharger and looks just plain cool, while two chrome-plated exhaust pipes peek out from the rear of the car and give the S a more exciting exhaust note than the base Cooper. The grille shows off a distinctive honeycomb pattern. Inside, brushed aluminum is fitted to the dash and other surfaces.

After the base Cooper’s U.S. launch in the spring of 2002, the Cooper S should roll out either at the end of 2002 or before the spring of 2003. The price on the base Cooper S should start around $22,000.

https://www.cars.com/carsapp/national/?szc=11530&srv=parser&act=display&tf=/features/autoshow2002/production/mini/cooper_s.tmpl

check the link for photos..supercharged!

MIN13K

Freshman Member
I personally think that it is wrong
that BMW would take the name of a great car and ruin it by putting it on this monstrosity. I have owned a few mini's and i find it yo be a total bastardisation of a once great car especially to put the cooper name on such a car i see the rubbish in the car mags that say john would have been happy about this car i personaly think he is turning in his grave. i give this new car 5 thumbs

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MIN13K:
should have been thumbs down<hr></blockquote>

MIN13K, you can edit (or delete) any post you make yourself. Just click the Edit/Delete Icon in the header of your message (Looks like a piece of paper with a pencil).

Cheers,
Basil
angel.gif

OP
J

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
I've seen the car in person and have to say..the attention to detail and show car like quality..make this the next cult car many will crave..

Is it as good as the original..? I don't know..its a different time with different standards...set both by the government and the consumer..

I think this new car will exceed sales expectations by quite a bit..

Nice fun car!

Chinewalker

Freshman Member
The new Mini is a foot shorter than a Miata, which makes it the smallest new car on American roads. The increase in size from the original, as well as added safety features are in my opinion a good idea considering the terrifying number of trucks and SUVs plodding the highways.
I guess BMW could make a stripper for purists, but it would probably cost just as much and wouldn`t sell very well.
I had understood that the base price for a new Mini was around $17k,not a lot of dough these days, but at $22, the "S" is a little pricey.

[ 03-10-2002: Message edited by: Chinewalker ]</p>

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chinewalker:
The new Mini is a foot shorter than a Miata, which makes it the smallest new car on American roads. The increase in size from the original, as well as added safety features are in my opinion a good idea considering the terrifying number of trucks and SUVs plodding the highways.
I guess BMW could make a stripper for purists, but it would probably cost just as much and wouldn`t sell very well.
I had understood that the base price for a new Mini was around $17k,not a lot of dough these days, but at $22, the "S" is a little pricey.

[ 03-10-2002: Message edited by: Chinewalker ]
<hr></blockquote>

The price of the "S" is comparible with the Mazda Miata LS (which we happen to own - its the wife's toy).

Basil

OP
J

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
Cy, the miata is a great ride..no doubt..the Mini is as well. The attention to detail and the fact there is nothing else like it on the road..is what makes this so much fun!

Congrats BMW for pulling this off.