• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is a Triumph overdrive tranny all that?

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Done literally only a bit of research on overdrives.
Could possibly still buy one, but have to know if the
stretch is worth it. Positive: Original type stuff,
relaxes the engine for freeway driving --
this is not my car's actual year, though --

Negative: Seems prone to electrical issues (tempramental?)
and parts are becoming more and more difficult to find,
as well as someone to work on them.

Anybody with these trannies out there to comment?

G

If your car is really only used for occasional driving and seldom on trips of over 50 miles, then the added cost of having your tranny converted to overdrive ($2500, by the time the dust settles) is probably not worth it.
The issue of electrical problems with an overdrive is really rare (what's to go wrong, just a solenoid). The unit is no more prone to breakdown than the tranny itself. J-types are available and period-correct for your car. A-types are getting a bit rare.
There are a number of rebuilders out there that do excellent work. John Esposito at Quantum comes to mind.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Overdrive is one of those things that once you have had it you just can't do without it! My TR4A was fitted with overdrive and it certainly made a big difference on longer journeys. A motorway journey was always much more relaxed with the engine turning that bit slower.
When I changed my car for a TR3A without overdrive I really missed it. It was like driving everywhere in fourth, rather than fifth. I have subsequently fitted an overdrive and I am very pleased that I have done so.
I suppose that if you don't go on long trips or for extended drives at 70 or 80mph it may not be worth it. However, it is also a great way to impress your passenger!

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
In a word - yes. If you are going to really motor in the car or run over to the coast, to Tahoe, or Yosemite from where you are you'll be very glad you did it.

V

vagt6

TR6BILL said:
If your car is really only used for occasional driving and seldom on trips of over 50 miles, then the added cost of having your tranny converted to overdrive ($2500, by the time the dust settles) is probably not worth it.
The issue of electrical problems with an overdrive is really rare (what's to go wrong, just a solenoid). The unit is no more prone to breakdown than the tranny itself. J-types are available and period-correct for your car. A-types are getting a bit rare.
There are a number of rebuilders out there that do excellent work. John Esposito at Quantum comes to mind.

Good input from Bill, there, above.

All I can add is that if you have the wherewithall to do it, start with a new (rebuilt) gearbox and OD. Properly rebuilt, the J-type will give you tens of thousands of carefree miles, if you maintain it carefully (easy to do).

I installed a Jtype in my '70 GT6 (not correct, but very nice!) and absolutely loved it! The Jtype gives you OD in third and fourth gear, rendering a 6 speed gearbox.

Unless you can do the work yourself, it's a relatively expensive mod. Like Bill said, unless you drive on the highway a lot, probably not worth the expense.

Good luck, let us know!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I use my OD in city driving all the time. It works flawlessly for traffic and let's me be lazy with the clutch between third and fourth gear.

It's especially nice on a club rally through the hilly back roads where there is a lot of up and down shifting involved. Once you use overdrive in an event like that, you won't want to go back.

JMHO, aside from the obvious benefits of highway driving to get to these events.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Often when the traffic is dense, I'd rather drive smoothly in 2nd overdrive than lug it in 3rd. Same thing going up long hills. If you plan to drive on long straight mountain roads, and the traffic is slow, pick the gear that is best for the situation. Then when you want to cut out and pass, just switch out of - say 3rd overdrive and take it up to 75 mph in 3rd direct.

In the past 16 summers, I have driven 98,000 miles. On the highway, I drive the speed of the traffic of faster than most other cars. Also I don't like to drive with huge tractor trailers all around me at 60 MPH, so I pass them and resume a more legal speed when I'm free of them.

I only paid $150.00 for the overdrive. That was the cost of the option when I bought my TR3A brand new in 1958.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Don Elliott said:
I only paid $150.00 for the overdrive. That was the cost of the option when I bought my TR3A brand new in 1958.

Nice!

Somehow I can't imaging owning our Mazda MPV for 50 years...

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I drove a TR for 25+ years w/o an overdrive. I never paid much attantion to the threads on these but had the impression they were troublesome.

Finally I got to doing enough long-distance driving that I was considering OD and went back and looked at the threads. I found mostly 2 issues:

Electrical -- So I examined the schematic and saw that it is a really straight-forward circuit, little to go worng and no mystery to fix when it does, and...

Adjustment -- Again, a look at the manual revealed the basic adjustment is fairly fool-proof.

Now I have driven for a year and about 8000 miles with the dingus in place and (as Nick notes) could never go back.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
When I bought my first Stag, it came without an OD. The very next step after brakes and tires was adding an OD !

And I feel it's a testament to just how reliable these old mechanical marvels are, that problems are so frequently electrical in nature. As Geo notes, the electrical portion is quite simple; even though the environment is somewhat hostile.

One of the hardest problems to find that I've had was the quick connect on a J-type solenoid ... it slid on firmly but then got a little bit loose once it was in place. Heat, vibration and the automatic rust prevention system would then cause an intermittant connection.

Just for clarity, only the A-type offers operation in 2nd gear. And while 2nd OD is almost a perfect split between 2nd direct and 3rd direct; 3rd OD is almost identical to 4th direct. My personal preference would be strongly towards A-type on a hard-driven sports car (tho the J is just fine on the Stags, where I only use it for high speed cruising).

OP
2wrench

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
racingenglishcars said:
You must excuse me for posting in this section. Actually it's my brother in America that has the TR4.

I was thinking that on the Sprite, it's common to convert to a Datsun 5 speed gearbox. Is there any 5 speed conversion available or commonly used on the TR3-6?

Check out this web site: https://www.blindmoosefab.com/hvda.htm

Has had my attention.

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
My C has overdrive, and my 250 does not. I must say that I would love to have OD on the Triumph, and in retrospect, I regret not upgrading to OD when I replaced the tranny last year. I also use OD in city traffic with the MGC. I rarely get out of 3rd, but will use the OD as an intermediate gear. Quite lovely.

G

2wrench said:
racingenglishcars said:
You must excuse me for posting in this section. Actually it's my brother in America that has the TR4.

I was thinking that on the Sprite, it's common to convert to a Datsun 5 speed gearbox. Is there any 5 speed conversion available or commonly used on the TR3-6?

Check out this web site: https://www.blindmoosefab.com/hvda.htm

Has had my attention.

Herman van den Akker is one heckuva nice guy and does a bang-up job on these conversions. I spoke with him for a few hours last July's VTR regional meet in Irving, TX. He drove his converted 250 from Cal to TX with his wife. Herman was 72 at the time. Everyone at the meet that had his conversions (and there were quite a few) spoke only good words about him and his product.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Several local club members have this conversion with the Toyota 'box and are delighted with it. About the same money as the original OD, but I had to have the 'real thing' if only to be able to say Laycock de Normanville in everyday conversation.

TR674

Jedi Warrior
Nick
I'm with you, once you have used an overdrive, it seems wrong not to have it!
Regards
Craig

G

I have Hermanns conversion.
It works exactly as advertised... No muss no fuss.
You get the idea.

Oh and as everyone says, Hermann is a real nice guy to talk to.

That said, if my car was close to stock, I'd buy an o/d rather than do a 5-speed swap. Cost is comparable, and I think that the o/d adds value, whereas the 5-speed doesn't (it does add driveability though).

mnsho only.

MichaelG

I added an A-type to my 4A after owning it for many years...and practical considerations aside, the "enjoyment factor" is worth the investment for both cruising and around town. Wish I done done it earlier.

Also, couple of good points from previous posts to reinforce...I would only add to a freshly overhauled gearbox, and would opt for an A-type to have O/D in 2nd gear..as I use this capability frequently.

R

RonMacPherson

If you want to enjoy a really nice overdrive. Take the J box, overhaul it, upgrade the pump with the Volvo, more pressure and slightly more volume. Get a good relay for the solenoid, make sure the ground wire to the chassis is secure, I mounted a 2nd gear switch on my top cover so I did have a 6 speed for awhile. It was fun.

The J type parts are a lot more common than most people realize as it was also used by Volvo and there are a number of Volvo suppliers that provide parts for it. Also the Laycock de Normanville was bought by a So Cal tranny/overdrive outfit that makes an updated version to fit a LOT of applications. Don't recall their name right now, but I'm sure if you do a search on it, you'll come up with it.

I recommend overdrive, my next car, I wanna put the button right on the shift knob.

Opa

Jedi Trainee
Gear Vendors Inc. in El Cajon Calif.bought? out Laycock de Normanville.Google their site for info.and uses quite interesting.They build them in over or under drive I believe.Very popular in pick-ups and motorhomes around here.
I also installed a switch for second gear,which I find handy in the city.I put my switch dead centre in lower dash plinth between blower knob and heat pull.80,000 plus miles on it now and no problems.I clean the filter when I change the oil in the trans.and thats it