• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A 3 Seat TR3?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm going to look at a small mouth TR3 tomorrow.
The owner said something about a 3rd seat in the back.
Anyone know about these.
He's asking $5000 for it.Is that a reasonable price
for a daily driver + type car?

- Doug

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
Finally get to address a pet peeve of mine! All TR3s were small mouth!!! The equally silly name, TR3 "wide mouth", is the TR3A. Please don't make me repeat this!!!!!!!!!

Any side scren car that runs is worth the $5000 - Best grab it before the seller realizes that.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Remember that the easiest thing to repair on these cars is the mechanical elements.
Look for a solid body but the price is very reasonable unless it's a total bondo queen, even then it's on the low side from what I've seen lately.
I thought the TR3a was an unofficial name, not a factory moniker during production but adopted to diff between the small mouth 3's and later production/sheet metal mods by those in the US (unofficially).

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Smallmouth has to be a 57 or earlier, Unless it is a later car that has been adulterated with the wrong front apron. There was/is a rear seat available for the Tr-3, However having said that it is barely big enough for a real small child. $5000.00 would not be out of line especialy if the body is correct {the TS # matchs the body panels} all of the correct pieces are present and accounted for and free of the usual rust through areas. I would gladly give the $ for it. If there has been repairs made due to rust I would want to inspect the repairs closely to ensure that they were done properly and not just poprivits and tin!
Consider that four good fenders, front apron, hood and boot lid would cost $5000.000 plus to buy new {if you could buy O.E.M parts!}.
IF you want a TR-3 and it is a solid car I say go for it!

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
prb51 said:
I thought the TR3a was an unofficial name, not a factory moniker during production but adopted to diff between the small mouth 3's and later production/sheet metal mods by those in the US (unofficially).

This is true!! The factory never called the wide mouth a TR3A. Look at the badge on your wide mouth front apron. It says TR3. They may have adopted it later on, but regardless, I find it perfectly acceptable to refer to a "wide mouth TR3" or a "small mouth TR3". I usually refer to all variations as TR3's.

This is different then the TR4. There the factory renamed the later version AND badged it as a TR4A.

Edit: BTW, if you can, post some pics of the car so we can see what your getting into!

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
AngliaGT said:
The owner said something about a 3rd seat in the back.
- Doug

FWIW, here's my original back seat, in my '59....
IMG_0379.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Lou Metelko said:
Finally get to address a pet peeve of mine! All TR3s were small mouth!!!
Darn ! You'd think someone like Standard-Triumph would get that right ! Too bad they didn't have Lou to proof-read their advertising copy !

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks everyone!I looked in the Triumph buyer's guide that I have,& found some of the answers.
Now,can I stand to part with the 6 if the 3's a good
buy?Just when I thought it couldn't get more confusing...
Anybody looking for a decent 74-1/2 TR6?

- Doug

Twosheds

Darth Vader
AweMan said:
There was/is a rear seat available for the Tr-3, However having said that it is barely big enough for a real small child.

As they say, the occasional seats are for those who have occasional legs.

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
TR3driver said:
Lou Metelko said:
Darn ! You'd think someone like Standard-Triumph would get that right ! Too bad they didn't have Lou to proof-read their advertising copy !

Very interesting! We've ALL got it wrong. According to those ads, Standard Motor Co. apparently called the cars "T.R.3" (note: crucial dots after T & R)

Does anyone know what "TR" really stands for? I've always thought, "Triumph Roadster."

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Lou Metelko said:
Finally get to address a pet peeve of mine! All TR3s were small mouth!!! The equally silly name, TR3 "wide mouth", is the TR3A. Please don't make me repeat this!!!!!!!!!

The commision plate on my Widemouth car says it's a TR3.

Was this done as part of an elaborate conspiracy plot?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Moseso said:
Very interesting! We've ALL got it wrong. According to those ads, Standard Motor Co. apparently called the cars "T.R.3" (note: crucial dots after T & R)
Some places had the dots, others did not. Sometimes in the same document (eg Practical Hints).

I have a funny feeling it was more due to proof-reader problems or similar than any actual desire to indicate it was an acronym. You sometimes see the same thing in MG ads from the same period.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Does anyone know what "TR" really stands for? I've always thought, "Triumph Roadster." [/QUOTE]Seems as good a guess as any, but I don't know any more than that.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
... but then again the TR3B had a wide mouth!!!

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I just got back from looking at it.
Here's the ad: 1957 BRITISH ROADSTER
Triumph TR3,small mouth
3 seater,runs & looks good.
Current tags.$5000 (707)826-9173

Additional info from owner:

Newer (Japanese) starter,battery,tires.
top good,electronic ignition.
20K on engine rebuild (big bore - 2100 cc).

My observations......

Car is a great driver,has primer appearing
Black paint,some rust on bottom of car (not horrible,but not sure what's underneath).Tacky shag carpeting around interior.Trunk lid has major rust at rear top edge,a little under trunk lid on body.Front fenders are loose on the bottom.California Black plates.
Engine compartment is in reasonable condition,but not real clean (you wouldn't know that the engine was rebuilt by looking at it).
Almost all of the parts are there.

If anyone's interested,I took pictures (Still can't figure out how to post them - too big).When my Wife gets them downloaded,I can email them.

- Doug

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
TR3driver said:
Lou Metelko said:

I am assuming the T.R. stood for Triumph Roadster?

Hypothetically, since the TR4 is not a roadster in the classic sense, is that why you never see the TR abbreviated with the 4s thru 8s?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
gsalt57tr3 said:
Hypothetically, since the TR4 is not a roadster in the classic sense, is that why you never see the TR abbreviated with the 4s thru 8s?
Actually, my TR4 owner's handbook has the dots in the text of the foreward.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
gsalt57tr3 said:
...since the TR4 is not a roadster in the classic sense...

I was under the impression that a roadster was an open car where the top was completely removed (like a TR4) vs one in which the top folds back within the car (a convertible).

OTOH, some may require side-curtains to call it a roadster.

Now maybe someone can explain what a 'Sports Type 20' means.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
Now maybe someone can explain what a 'Sports Type 20' means.

Good question.

My guess is that it may have been a carryover from the old model designation based on HP. I think there was an older sports model, the 10/20, and wasn't the TR1 named 20TS?

I'll have to dig out Piggott's book and see if he addresses this.