• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Radio Installation

pace

I am going to install an aftermarket radio in my TR3. Does anyone have pics on where and how you installed? I also have 4 speakers I need to find a place for without taking away from the orginality (if possible) of the interior. My car is a Neg ground and I bought a package deal from CircuitCity. It is a Pioneer DEH-9 with 4 6 1/2" speakers. Not the best but it has a CD player and was under $100.

Thanks

Mike

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
For a "factory-style" installation, you might want to take a look at Teri Ann's web site, with nice pictures of the "Radiomobile" installation to use as a guide to planning your installation.

As for speakers, perhaps two could be tucked up somewhere under the dash or in the footwell area. As for, say, rear speakers, perhaps you could use some sort of box or other freestanding type speakers, where a couple of screws to anchor them wouldn't do any great damage?

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I made a mount similar to set on the transmission cover. It is where i can remove it if needed. As for speakers I had pods setting on the rear seat but most of the time when traveling you could not really hear them. I have gone to a single dual voice coil speaker by Custom Auto Sound. It installed in the RH side opening for the factory speaker. This has been better for hearing than the speakers setting in the rear. I still plan on getting another one and making and mount under the LH side to have two speakers.

Don

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I use a couple of wedge-shaped self-contained speakers under the occassional seat. They tuck in there so snugly they do not even need to be fastened down.

As I recall the sheet metal behind the kick panels on my TR3A was very neatly cut for speakers. I may have read that some TR3As came this way from the factory but have no idea if that is so. In any case, you might peek behind your carpeted kick panels if you have never had them off.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Geo Hahn said:
As I recall the sheet metal behind the kick panels on my TR3A was very neatly cut for speakers. I may have read that some TR3As came this way from the factory but have no idea if that is so.
On TS39781LO, the right hand kick panel was clearly cut by the factory for a single large speaker. Still had the original yellow paint on the edges of the cut (though the rest of the body had been resprayed many times). But there was no matching hole on the LH side, which was also shaped to give the driver more knee room (meaning no flat area for a speaker). And the opening on the right was too large for any modern "full range" driver.

I wound up using a wooden ring to mount a speaker in the hole on the right, and massaging the LH panel so I could add a hole there. Planned to also add custom-made speaker enclosures under the occasional seat, but never found that particular round tuit.

Next time, I'm going to just use Miata seats (with the speakers in the headrests). Yeah, I know, the tailpipe should be all the music I want ... but on long trips I find it gets kind of soporific.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi pace what I did when I mounted a stereo in my tr3 was mount the stereo in the glove box and used the cardboard glove box to insulate the circuit. This way, I could leave the charging system positive (original) ground and provide some security for the stereo and CDs. In addition to putting the stereo in the glove box, I mounted the speakers under the dash, one under by the tach and the other behind the glove box under the dash using ½ angle aluminum brackets on both. I did not want some thief ripping apart the car for a 250.00 stereo. When someone looks at the vehicle, they cannot tell that I even have a stereo because I plugged the antenna up also. One problem I did run into was with the AM antenna because the AM antenna grounds to the body and radio. What I did was use a loop of insulated wire for the FM radio only and omitted the AM. However, that FM reception is not very good, but it works ok. If any members have a clever idea for a better FM antenna please let me know.
Sp53