• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Sound Deadening

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Started this in a separate post on carpets and wanted to get some more discussion on this subject.

A question revolves around placing self adhering sound deadening material on the floor pans.
Two points have been floated, one being condensation forming between the sound deadening material and the floor pan causing rust.
The second being what happens if brake fluid ends up puddling there.
My thoughts on the condensation is that it would condensate on the outer surfaces, and if the sound deadening material is adhered well to the floor pan it would seal it. I am going to seal the entire floor pan with POR15. I have not decided if I will cover the whole floor pan with sound deadening material (RAAMmat)or do a partial. This is a photo on how that could be done.
12rearside.jpg

Not a TR6 but the idea is the same. Do panels on the area's, such as, most of the floor pan and stay away from the edges, giving rain water or condensation some where to go, what doesn't soak into the carpet pad. Although I am thinking of using some thing that is closed cell so it won't soak up things. Something like backpackers sleeping bag foam.
In regards to brake fluid, I say, I should run a test and see what happens when the butyl substrate will do when exposed to brake fluid. If the RAAMmat were installed so that the ends rolled up the sides of the floor pan it would make a pan that would contain the fluid or let it soak into the pad. I will run a test tomorrow night and see.

Any other ideas or comments on this subject would be welcome!

I use the aluminum foil backed insulation on the transmission tunnel and it really helped with the noise. I plan to cover the outside with the RAAMmat. I an doing the firewall and the insides of the doors and the rear wheel humps and the rear bench. I plan to use the RAAMmat and the bubble insulation on the rear panel in front of the fuel tank and place a layer of RAAMmat on the fuel tank.
I am undecided about the engine bonnet and may wait and add later, just to see if one can notice the difference.
This is a link to other photos on possible ways of using RAAMmat.
Also a link to photo's of my left and right floor pans still in work.

D

DougF

I can understand why you might want a heat shield for compartment comfort, but I'm not sure why you want sound deadener. Do you have a hardtop, or don't you want to hear the parts falling off?
The sound of the tranny whine; the engine; and all of the other road noises are part of the riding pleasure of these cars.

OP
N

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
DougF
I do have a hardtop and I hope the parts falling off is tongue in cheek humor.
The glorious road noise you speak of is fine for short trips but I have been and plan to continue to drive mine about 2 hours a day. The ambient noise will have decided impact on one's hearing when in that loud of environment for that length of time.
I don't wish to remove it only mute it.
As the old adage goes one man's meat is another's poison!

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
I am going to be installing carpets at some point, and have already ordered and received the Moss wool kit, and the underlay kit. The idea of using some of the latest generation heating and sound insulation in the floor pans appeals to me, but I am loath to stick anything down, as I just know that as soon as I do I am going to need to take it up again for some unexpected reason!

My plan was to POR15 the floor pans and then to make a sandwich of insulation/underlay/carpet that I could take up piecemeal. I'm worried that it may be too thick, though.

OP
N

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Julian
I think that could be a way to go. One thing is though you lose a lot of the sound deadening ability if the material is not bonded to the panel. It is designed to damp the vibrations from the panel as it resonates due to vibration or in response to sound waves impacting it.
In regards to the thickness of the sandwich, the RAAMmat is only 5 mil I believe, so if it were stuck to one side of the pad and the pad glued to the carpet, I think it would be ok. One could probably raise the snap with a spacer to allow for the extra thickness also.
This may be the way to go or at least try first. Good luck.
I will keep you posted on what I decide and try.