• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1934 Daimler, Light 15, Sportsman Coupe' Roadster

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'm reviewing this car for someone else and would like to know if anyone on the BCF has one of these cars, or can enlighten me as to what a Sportsmans Coupe' (roadster) is;

<span style="color: #3333FF">"I don't know if this is appropriate for your club, but I thought I would mention I have a 1934 Daimler Light 15 Sportsman's Coupe' ( roadster) taking up space in my warehouse. The car is at least 98% complete, but in need of a total restoration. I have been approached by a few street-rodders, but it would be a sin to chop up this fairly rare car. I'm over in Belleville, so let me know if there might be a potential interest among your members for this vehicle."</span>

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Re: 1934 Daimler, Light 15, Sportsman Coupe' Roads

If you see it - we need pics!

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag

Somebody PLEEEEEEASE save it!!! don't let a 350 end up in that car.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Johnny - you're not that far from me...can you get some photos & price range? & contact info....

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag

Reading something like this makes me angry at the hot rod crowd... From talking to some of them locally, most of them will respect a rare car, but there are some who have zero respect.

Reminds me of a conversation with a fellow at a large (all-makes) automotive flea market. He had a 1958 Ford Prefect for sale (he is a British car enthusiast), in mint condition. He had fielded several offers from people who were rather obviously hot rodders, but he would rather just take the car back home un-sold than sell to people like that. So he did just take it back home...

OP
Johnny

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag

JPSmit said:

If anyone is interested in this car; here's the seller's info; He has pictures available:

<span style="color: #3333FF">Car has been sold. Personal Information removed at request of seller -- Basil</span>

OP
Johnny

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag

JPSmit said:
Well, I finally received some photos of the car. However they are in adobe .pdf format and I can't attach them to this post. I do have some more information for those interested. (Oh, BTW yes it is a drop head coupe). I no longer am interested nor is the party I spoke of earlier. If you like I can send you the photos via a separate email.

<span style="color: #3333FF">"Hello John,
It would please me greatly to have you advertise this car in your newsletter. I still appreciate this old Daimler and would prefer to place it with an Anglophile who will give it the restoration it deserves. I will try to get some pictures tomorrow. I will also work on a summary sheet for you.
<span style="color: #FF0000">{Car has been sold. Personal Info removed at request of seller - Basil}</span> I don't know if this is appropriate for your club, but I thought I would mention I have a 1934 Daimler Light 15 Sportsman's Coupe' ( roadster) taking up space in my warehouse. The car is at least 98% complete, but in need of a total restoration. I have been approached by a few street-rodders, but it would be a sin to chop up this fairly rare car. I'm over in Belleville, so let me know if there might be a potential interest among your members for this vehicle.Thanks,
Bill
Here are the highlights and warts of the Daimler:

-- the body is of aluminum and was custom made by Martin Walter of Folkstone. The fenders and hood are standard Daimler and are steel. As you can see in the pictures there are some dents and rust-throughs on the fenders, but all appear repairable.
-- the driveline is original Daimler with a worm drive differential, the hydraulic pre-select (semi-automatic) transmission and a 2003cc, 6cyl, ohv engine. The engine doesn't run because a previous owner removed the cyl. head. The push rods are missing ([censored]!), but the rest of the top engine parts seem to be here.
-- the other parts that are missing/broken seem to be generic Daimler and not associated with the custom body. i.e., cracked headlight lens, broken parklight lens, missing lugnut, broken hood latch receiver, etc.
--the odometer reads 22xxx mi. I am hopeful this is actual, because it would save a lot of wear & tear on the gears and other hard parts."

I hope this is helpful,
Bill</span>

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

you have a PM

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] The car is presently in my (hobby) shop at <span style="color: #CC0000">{Car Sold - Personal Info Removed at request of seller - Basil}</span>[/QUOTE]

ooops... so much for guarding his number.

holy cow... Standing on the front porch of the house I grew up in you could see this shop. I wonder how long he has been there. I seem to recall that it was a HVAC repair place last time I lived there.

Not the guy I was thinking of and I certainly never saw any interesting cars there. But 2 blocks down the street from him and around the corner there was a guy with a cinderblock barn full of exotic italian roadsters from the 50's and I thought this might be the guy. He relocated when they built the Metro station over there and we've never been able to track him down. Was a very secretive guy... only loaded or unloaded cars after about 10pm in closed carriers.

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Seems like the street rodders like to get their hands on the oddball stuff these days. Maybe all the good 30s and 40s stuff is getting used up. I have been approached a few times by folks who would like to chop up the 34 English Ford. I have even been tempted a few times. Anybody want to save it now, before I get an offer I can't refuse?
34englishford_model-y_pickup.jpg

Bruce

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

Bruce - just for the record I'd love to but my bank account doesn't understand my passion /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

abarth69

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

JP

Come on JP. It would be great under the tree for the holidays

Road Trip

Mark