• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Best Grand Touring Cars

Bret

Yoda
Ok on another forum there was a lot of friendly debate about what classifies as a true GT. Now personally I think a great example of some fine Grand Touring cars came out in the June O7 issues of Hemmings "Sports & Exotic" Car magazine. Where they gave some pretty good insight polling their staff as to what makes a GT and put together the following "Top 10 GT's" in the whole world list.

In no particular - order but to be PC they didn't say what was best from one to ten.
Lamborghini Expada 68-78
Aston-Martin DBS 67-72
Porsche 928 78-95
Citroën SM 70-74
Toyota Supra 94-98
Maserati Khamsin 74-80
Jensen Interceptor/FF 66-76
ISO Grifo 65-74
Ferrari 365GTC/4 71-72
Alfa Romero Montreal 71-75

I’m a bit surprised by the addition of the Toyota Supra (94-98) the newest car of the bunch over a lot of other modern marquees. And am a bit surprised at the addition of the Citroën SM with its seemingly underpowered V6 (leastways in this company). I am also similarly bewildered at the addition of the Alfa Montreal – but then I don’t know enough about either of them to say that they shouldn’t be on the list.

As for the rest I like the DBS (always been an Aston Fan) but I would think that some more modern Aston Martins should’ve made the list. The best & sexiest has to be the Ferrari 365 GTC/4.

However it should be pointed out that the author of the article notes that according to the FIA almost anything with two doors (including his mom's 85" Pontiac Grand Prix) can be made into a GT with a set of racing tires.

But I tend to agree that a proper Grand Touring car should have performance (sports car – with some speed and/or agility) with a focus on comfort (Luxury if you will) for at least the driver & passenger (or even a 2+2) and have enough room for luggage for a weekend getaway for two.

So what are your thoughts on Grand Touring Cars?

Bret

Oh yeah PS - worth noting the Porsche 928 was the only car that was unanimously picked by the staff when asked to put together a short list. Just had to slip that one in there. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
MGC GT

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Originally Posted By: tony barnhill
MGC GT

Well - I guess it had to be said. Beel better Tony?[/QUOTE]
Yep, Bret - I beel better...hehehehe

Come drive an automatic transmissioned, air conditioned MGC GT on a nice, comfortable Sunday afternoon drive & you'll hunt one down to own!

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
tony barnhill said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Originally Posted By: tony barnhill
MGC GT

Well - I guess it had to be said. Beel better Tony?
Yep, Bret - I beel better...hehehehe

Come drive an automatic transmissioned, air conditioned MGC GT on a nice, comfortable Sunday afternoon drive & you'll hunt one down to own! [/QUOTE]
Well I've never driven an Auto B/CGT but I've driven stick version of both. Lov'em but I guess I'm asking about the general idea behind the GT.

I mean a true GT dosn't have to be an Auto nor (as some of my Shark friends like to insist) should it have to be a manual either.

So in your view what makes up a true GT?

Steve_S

Yoda
Can't argue with Tony. A grand touring car must have lots of torque, and they don't come much more "torquey" than the MGC.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Where's the Ford GT 40,Lola T70,any Lotus.....?
The only Supra would be the twin turbo.

- Doug

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Can't imagine GT 40 as grand touring? that's outright sports - they don't have a back seat do they? I guess GT6 would qualify?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
SteveS said:
Can't argue with Tony. A grand touring car must have lots of torque, and they don't come much more "torquey" than the MGC.
Auto or straight...yep, both have lots of torque

Plus, put 'em out on the highway & they just cruise along without any effort at all; &, yes, they handle great now that we have proper tires for them.

There's a difference between a sportscar & a grand touring car....& that same difference is there between an MGB and an MGC - they're not in the same class!! Except an MGC is fun to drive on short or cross-country runs while an MGB isn't fun on a long cross-country run (ask me, I know from experience)!!

Your original list is a list that's full of "snooty" cars for "snooty" people put together by "snooty" people! & I suppose that's because they think they know best!

Steve_S

Yoda
The MGC can get by with a 3-speed auto better than a B can, but it still takes the pure joy out of using the car's power! The engine is 98% of the MGC's character. I can't imagine not shifting up through the gears as the car takes off on the highway. I suppose the auto makes it a good commuting car though.

You and I also appear to have different standards of cross country comfort! A B (especially GT) is a fine touring car, just not as effortless and smooth on the open highway as a C (especially GT).

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Datsun 240-280 Z (the 70s ones)
Ferrari 250 GTO (appx '65)
GT6
Jaguar E-type!!!
I alway's liked the early Saab Sonnets (but I'd not expect to see them on a "worlds best" list
I'm sure I'll think of more I like.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
AngliaGT said:
The only Supra would be the twin turbo.

- Doug
Actually Doug, The twin turbo with it's 2+2 seating & 5.2 second 0-60 is the one on the list. But it wouldn't of been on my list of top GTs.

tony barnhill said:
Your original list is a list that's full of "snooty" cars for "snooty" people put together by "snooty" people! & I suppose that's because they think they know best!
Ouch Tony, why you got'a be hat'n. This from a SL owner no less... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Bret said:
Originally Posted By: tony barnhill
Ouch Tony, why you got'a be hat'n. This from a SL owner no less... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
Ah, but I didn't put my SL on the list of "best" GT's, did I? I'm just always amazed at lists that include cars which are out of the reach of the average person either because of cost or the number actually available....if you're gonna make a list of "best", make it a list of cars people actually drive!! I mean, how many Maserati Khamsin or ISO Grifo's do you normally see cruising the interstate?

SteveS said:
You and I also appear to have different standards of cross country comfort! A B (especially GT) is a fine touring car, just not as effortless and smooth on the open highway as a C (especially GT).
I've taken my B roadsters & one of my B GT's on long highway trips (Kansas to San Antonia; CA to TN; etc.) - & I'm talking interstate driving, not fun blue highway driving. Even with OD, after a few hours I just want to get out & walk around what with the engine noise. An MGC, on the other hand, seems to allow one to hang in for longer periods of time before breaks.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
tony barnhill said:
Bret said:
Originally Posted By: tony barnhill
Ah, but I didn't put my SL on the list of "best" GT's, did I? I'm just always amazed at lists that include cars which are out of the reach of the average person either because of cost or the number actually available....if you're gonna make a list of "best", make it a list of cars people actually drive!! I mean, how many Maserati Khamsin or ISO Grifo's do you normally see cruising the interstate?
Not saying I disagree with you – only that I guess I take exception to the “snooty” vernacular. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Remember the publication that put together the list is called “Sports & Exotic” so with the exception of a few already mentioned I can see why most of the entries are listed.

But putting together a list of the “TOP GTs” you’d expect a number of exotic to on it, whereas if I where to put together a list of "favorite GTs" it’d be somewhat different.

Besides I seem to recall that the SL series weren’t all that cheap in their day. In fact looking over some of my publications dating back to the seventies – the SL was a frequent contender when put up against Porsche 928s along with others like the Jaguar XJS, the Lotus Esprit & a number of Ferraris to name a few.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Tony,

"I'm just always amazed at lists that include cars which are out of the reach of the average person either because of cost or the number actually available"

Probably because when the name was conjured up (Over 40 years ago)it was a car with exceptional performance, comfort and was able to allow the driver to cover large distances very quickly. (Say London to the South of France about 800 miles)
The only cars suitable were the top end models.

Quite a few manufacturers tagged GT to basic cars (eg Ford with the Cortina GT) which patently were nowhere near what a true GT was. And I'm afraid your MGC wouldn't qualify being neither big enough or fast enough. Speed restrictions then being nothing like thay are these days.

Alec

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, then, I'd add my '85 Jaguar XJ6 VP - the long version - to the list.....comfort, speed, & exceptional performance even today!

...& I'd add my SL...Huntsville, AL to Mobile, AL - about 500 miles (length of the state) in about 4 hours with no stops for fuel...comfort, speed, exceptional performance.

Seriously, there are several cars out there that would qualify for GT status using these specs without singularly pointing out the unique, low production, over-expensive art objects that only a few can ever hope to own....I mean, what's the point of a list like that anyway?

Now, a better lish, IMHO, would be what Bret said. Using the below specs, what's your "favorite Grand Touring car"?

torque
exceptional performance
comfort
cover large distances very quickly

Just my opinion, for what its worth.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Tony, I think of all the cars I've owned over the years, my '65 E Type coupe would be the closest thing I've owned to a GT car. Long legs, good performance, and the comfort level wasn't all that bad.
But, mainly I've stuck to the "sports car" side of things.
Jeff

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
tony barnhill said:
Now, a better lish, IMHO, would be what Bret said. Using the below specs, what's your "favorite Grand Touring car"?

torque
exceptional performance
comfort
cover large distances very quickly

Just my opinion, for what its worth.
Hey my 2001 Supercrew 4x4 meets all of those requirments. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif