• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Austin 1800 for sale

mikespain

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
If I remember rightly they suffered from rust quite badly ,had the same basic set up as the mini,ie-two sub frames and hidroelastic suspension

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have only three problems (well more really - but for now)

1. No money
2. No room
3. An overactive imagination

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Why are they called Landcrabs?

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
From https://www.landcrab.net

The Austin 1800's nickname came about as a result of a casual comment by an Australian journalist, who when taking rally pictures from a helicopter through a telephoto lens remarked that the cars looked like "Land Crabs" as they cornered sideways. They were first called Post Office Land Crabs due to their red and white livery. On paper the 1800 falls into what Abingdon called the "Barge" category they were heavy – 1150kg kerb weight without the rally equipment and big both inside and out! But their saving grace was the much maligned Hydrolastic suspension combined with the strongest bodyshells ever made by Longbridge gave this middle management tourer a unique ability to travel quickly over rough rally roads.

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
Do you think is it the same one as posted in our classifieds 08/20/07?

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Not sure it is - I know they were trying to sell a basket case 1800 located in Burlington (Ont) for $350 about a month ago - that was mostly for parts though. Sad that they are so close and presuming they are different that one couldn't help rebuild the other

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
the one on vortex and kijiji look to be the same one right down to the paint chip missing on the bonnet

GMDad

Freshman Member
Yes, it is the same car in all 3 ads. After all, there can't be too many "Landcrabs" floating around in Southern Ontario. I was asked by a fellow forum member to go look at the car as the owner could not leave the car in his driveway in Beamsville and if not sold, the car would be scrapped within the next 2 weeks. I took my trailer down and purchased the car without even looking it over. I didn't want to see it get scraped. I took the car home (Beamsville and Caledonia are not quite next door to each other, best part of an hour drive) , purchased a battery for it, had it running and checked it out. The inner sills had been repaired (not perfect but a good job) interior nice and clean, trunk floor in good shape and other than 3 or 4 spots on the body that need attention, the car is pretty solid. That is why I took all the photos of it to send out to the next owner. I currently have a MGB Roadster on a rotisserie and a MGB race car awaiting its turn in the shop. I would like to see the car go to somebody that has the time and place to fix the car up. I don't have inside storage space for it and with the flea market coming up this weekend, I had hoped to advertise it and find a new owner. I advertised the car $750., figuring to get a $500. offer for it . I will probably still have the car in the spring time as usually happens when I try to sell a vehicle. So if his is considered "flipping it", than I guess that is what I am doing. Still couldn't bring myself to allow it to be salvaged. JPSmit, or anybody else that is interested or has inside room for the car this winter, give me an email and we can strike up a deal. I am not a hard guy to deal with. Possibly deliver it this weekend."

Don

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hopefully another one saved from the scrap yard Don. I was very tempted myself with this one but it would have cost a bit to have it towed to King City and the better half would have killed me as I already have 3 projects and no garage. I have a 12'X20' shed at the back of the house that I have my midget and a mini on a spit in and another mini temporarily in the basement(it's a walkout) /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
And thanks for the explanation Don (Oh and welcome, we're glad you're here.) I was being a little goofy to suggest that Beamsville & Caledonia were next door - I lived in Ancaster for 12 years. Though relative to the distances on these boards - Denmark, Florida, Calgary etc. they are awfully close. The third ad I was talking about (which is sort of the fourth I suppose) is this one

"There is, in Burlington Ontario, an 1800 that has been sitting in a garage for about 25 years. Now, before you get too excited it is a mess, it is all there and would offer lots of parts. In terms of a restoration, unless you can get some divine intervention, I don't think it is going to happen, but a thick head and determination does go along way.
The car is free for the taking, it would have to be dragged out its lair, hopefully someone wants it otherwise it is off to the scrapper.
let me know.
Roger"

That was July - don't know what happened to it but it might be worth tracking down for parts. I am potentially interested though like Willie I have no room right now - Hoping to get Ms. Triss off to the body shop in the next week or so so SWMBO can get her car in the garage for the winter.

The 1800 while cool is a little newer than I hoped my next project would be - on the other hand, these things have a way of finding you and it would be interesting - so, let's keep in touch.

thanks again /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
BTW Don - in the last picture in the Kijiji ad - what is the car under the tarp next to the 1800?

GMDad

Freshman Member
The car under the tarp John is a 1954 Chev Custom. It is also listed for sale on the Kijiji site. We have 4 finished classic cars as well as the projects that I mentioned. Not liking the insurance and storage program I am faced with. Should maybe have been a model collector, take up less room.
Thanks...Don

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
Funny thing about those landcrabs. I had never seen one in person when I lived in Washington DC. I guess they just weren't big sellers there. The Austin America was a big seller. I see a landcrab every few weeks on the street here in Copenhagen... Just one. The first and only one I have ever seen in person.

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
GMDad said:
Should maybe have been a model collector, take up less room.
Thanks...Don

Yea tried that also but the bedroom wasn't big enough for the better half , myself and the collection, so you know what went /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif