• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Humber Question

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have a line on what appears to be a Humber Imperial - no idea of year or even really condition at this point

any one have any experience or thoughts at all? I know they are rare, apparently the Imperial is the Pullman without the divided window glass

thanks all

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful
Just from a quick look up, it appears that the earlier ones were based on the Pullman and the laters ones were varients of the Super Snipe. Parts apper to be available through Rootes Parts. Neat looking cars! Try these sites for more info:

https://www.motorbase.com/vehicle/by-id/1145/
https://www.motorbase.com/profiles/vehicle/picture.ehtml?i=1139;p=341824401

https://www.motorbase.com/profiles/vehicle/picture.ehtml?i=1157;p=271125739

https://www.rootesparts.com/id107.htm

That was fun! Thanks for leading me down the path! Adam

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
No connection to these folk, but they are in the business of orphan cars and drive Humbers. Friendly people with an impressive supply of pieces and knowledge.

https://www.kipmotor.com

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
So you're thinking of buying the one out in Ottawa (that was mentioned on BritCarTalk), I'm wondering what year of Imperial it is... As there were different variations that are quite distinct from each other...

I would think that within the British Saloon Car Club (maybe even here on BCF?) there is someone who could at least take a photo to know for sure, or are you up for a road trip?

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I think they are neat looking cars. I took this photo at ECAIP (English Car Affair In the Park) last year in Victoria BC. Lots of sedans show up at car shows in Canada.

1702395756_7402db46d4.jpg

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Sherlock said:
I would think that within the British Saloon Car Club (maybe even here on BCF?) there is someone who could at least take a photo to know for sure, or are you up for a road trip?

I'm actually in Ottawa even as we speak - hope to drop by tomorrow on the way out of town ... I've got the camera

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
On the topic of Humber photos, here is my photo of a Super Snipe I spotted this summer, an interesting variation on the standard car shot, no one on Flickr seems to like it... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

1217831630_2cfeece6c4.jpg

I'm curious to see what kind of Imperial it is...

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I like - I once picked out a BMC van (that we've discussed elsewhere on this board - it ended up back in Britain - because I drove past a row of RV's for sale and one had fins. "one of these things is no like the other" says Sesame Street. - thanks

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
You mean this one?

1647468_3576f4f074.jpg

Al Guest at one point owned two of them, he probably still has this one in the photo, but I do recall that he sold one of them back to England...

Where is the forum post you're referring to? I'd love to find it...

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Hi Sherlock! I have very fond memories of a Humber Super Snipe, and have always thought them a very classy and dignified car in a Rover sort of way. An Imperial must be quite rare and would make a nice wedding car (in white), so you might even get it to pay its own expenses.

If not, you could smoke a pipe, carry a brolly on the passenger seat, and cruise to a gentleman's club. Lovely!

Do they play cricket in Calgary? There are some pitches about 20kms from where I live, its nice to go down and watch a match on a sunny afternoon, the clubhouse has tea and lemonade.
Simon.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
There's your next collector car Steve... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

So any updates J.P.? We're all waiting...

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Sherlock said:
So any updates J.P.? We're all waiting...

Well, went to see, first of all, not an Imperial - actually a Pullman - it has the divider window. It was WAY beyond my skill level. Hood was new, as were hood sides. Passenger fender was perforated - drivers side was worse (and in the car) Engine block in back (you can see it) pistons spread throughout. Couldn't find the tranny but it might be there. all in all a daunting project.

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Neat car but massive project from the look of the pictures. I'd let someone else restore that one.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
It appears that Big Al Guest has sold the BMC Motor Coach (based on that thread you pointed out).

Al often took that distinctive vehicle to many of the Ontario British car shows when I lived there from 2000 to 2003, it almost became commonplace to simply see it there at an event (for such a rare truck) that I took it for granted.

I didn't really know Al personally, as such, so have no idea what has happened to his fleet since I moved back to Alberta. I did check out his website, but it appears to have not been updated for a number of years - https://www.big-al-minimover.com/index.htm

One of his other trucks he owns (still owns?) is this neat LHD Austin K8 truck (yes, they sold these new in Canada back then, late-1940's):

1647408_c3a1cd5567.jpg

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I've never seen the truck - only photos, I do know the bus went back to England - I never actually saw it restored either - we were in Florida when all this transpired

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thought the Humber Club might be interested, sent an email and got this reply,...

It looks like this car came to Canada, as did many Humbers, as the transport for an Ambassador. As far as I know there was no formal export of Pullmans of this era.

"Turning to the car and your pictures, these cars are quite sought after in the UK where they were scrapped in their hundreds at the time of the Suez fiasco in the late 50's. Nobody wanted cars at that time that only did 12-15mpg!

As you say some work has clearly been done but a lot remains to be tackled. Most of the parts are still available for this model either as rebuilds, remanufactures, or just plain good secondhand. It certainly looks to be a good buy at $300 for anyone with a yen to rebuild a quality car of that era."

looks like it might be possible to esptablish the provenance