• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Junkyard Find - Vanden Plas Princess

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
While searching my local junkyard today, I came across a 1964 RHD Vanden-Plas Princess. I have never seen one of these before, and initially I thought it was a Mercedes. It was just a shame that the car was totally shot. Someone had installed a Nissan engine (side draft carbs) bolted to the original transmission.

I was going to snap a picture of it, but the junkyard nazi's told me that cameras are not allowed (not sure why).

I managed to snag the grille, horn push emblem, and the clock out of the car along with a few switches that might find new life in my B.

I have a picture from the web just to show that they looked like.

Attachments

• 7946.jpg
    7946.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 98

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Ron,

it is a Van Den Plas, but I think the Princess model was the front wheel drive 1100\13300 model?
The one in the picture is based on the Austin A110 Westminster model with, as Donn says, a 4 litre Rolls Royce engine.

Van Den Plas were coach builders but BMC took them over and used the name on their more luxurious models.

Alec

healeyneil

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi guys, The Vanden plas princess was sold in 3litre and 4litre versions with a completely different tho similar body. the 3 litre version was an upmarket austin A110 with much better trim, and an alloy rocker cover which seals much better than the usual pressed tin version. That where the works got their alloy rocker covers for the works cars

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Wish it were closer - that was BL badge engineering at its finest...there are some things off it I could use on my '60 Mk III MG Magnette!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
hehehe....drivers side fender - mine's got some bondo in it.
taillight lens if they're not faded

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]by the way the fenders on a VdP are different than a MG farina. [/QUOTE]
I was wondering if the parking lights were different...mine look larger - oh well. Taillights are probably different also.

OP
1965_MGB

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
Pretty much the car I am looking at is a mess. The fenders are full of bondo, and the lights are there, but have lots of cracks in them.

I am going back on Monday to retrieve the calipers for someone on another board, so if there is something you guys need, let me know.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Hey Tony,

The bodyshell the VDP Princess is based on is one size bigger than the bodyshell the MG Magnette Farina is based on (despite the similar appearances), so I doubt there are many interchangeable parts for you

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The bodyshell the VDP Princess is based on is one size bigger than the bodyshell the MG Magnette Farina is based on [/QUOTE]

Really?!

7946.jpg

farina03.jpg

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I'm quite certain Tony, at the very least the front end bodywork is longer in length to accomodate the 6-cylinder engine...

I do know of one fellow in the British Saloon Car Club near Toronto who has been trying to sell a pair 4-cylinder Farina cars (MG Magnette & Riley 4/68) for awhile, or were you aware of that...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I'm quite certain Tony, at the very least the front end bodywork is longer in length to accomodate the 6-cylinder engine...[/QUOTE]
hmmm - there's 2' of wasted space in front of my 4-cylinder engine - alwayswondered why: plenty of room for a 6-cylinder.

But, I don't know if there was or wasn't a difference - they look the same in the 2 photos above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I do know of one fellow in the British Saloon Car Club near Toronto who has been trying to sell a pair 4-cylinder Farina cars (MG Magnette & Riley 4/68) for awhile, or were you aware of that...[/QUOTE]
No, did'nt know that...but getting them to me would probably be cost prohibitive.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
I think you'll find the Princess body was both longer and wider than the Oxford / Cambridge / Magnette / Etc.
The VdP was sold with the 6-cylinder BMC motor as well as the R-R lump, when it was known as the Princess 4-litre R.
The Princess name wasn't so much a model name (like Oxford, for example) but was used on various sizes of vehicle simultaneously - even junk like Metro & Maestro!

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Roger,

"I think you'll find the Princess body was both longer and wider than the Oxford / Cambridge / Magnette / Etc. "

Yes, it most certainly is and it is the Westminster shell, (as I said in an earlier post)

Photographs are deceptive as the 'B' series cars and the '' series (I'm talking engines here) were both designed by Farina and one was simply a larger scale of the other.

Alec

OP
1965_MGB

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
I have a question guys. The car has a similar braking system to the MGB, single circuit MC, etc. It has an external brake booster, and I have seen kits that allow power brakes to be fitted to the early cars.

Might anyone know if this booster would work with a B'?

I have looked around the net, but info on the Princess is not all that clear, or abundant. I was at the yard today pulling the calipers for another member, and I noticed the booster sitting on the left fender (RHD car).

Any advice, or ridicule is appreciated.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I have seen kits that allow power brakes to be fitted to the early cars.[/QUOTE]
My write-up on putting power assisted brakes in an early car - left side of write-up (right side is putting non-power brakes in a late car):
https://www.theautoist.com/convertingto-fromservoboostedbrakes.htm