• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Steve Byers pulled a rabbit out of the hat for me

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
I wanted to point out to anyone that didn't already know, the work that Steve Byers does for our Hobby. Basil put the link to Steve's BJ7 and BJ8 Registry on top of the list of forum topics. You really should take the time to fill out a form and give Steve your car's information. He is an expert " detective " and able to find out the history of our cars. He says he can't track them all down because some states have purged their old DMV records. .. My experience..
.. I was able to track down the previous owners of my car to the 2nd owner without Steve's help.
That was as far as I could get because the 2nd owner could not remember the first owner's last name anymore. I thought that was that and I would never know who the original owner was.
... Enter Steve Byers.. I had asked him to look through his records to see if he could find out who my original owner was while at the ice cream social last month. I had forgotten that I had asked him until 2 days ago.
Not only did he find out who the original owner of my car was, he mailed me copies of;
1. The manufacturer's Statement of origin to a motor vehicle
from BMC Export Sales to my original owner.
2. The English certificate of registration for license plate DGP-537C to my original owner.
3. Some kind of receipt from a Company called " cars international of america INC " I think it is a shipping receipt from the import company. It has handwritten on it NJ64 and Philadelphia and a received stamp. I searched the web and found that NJ34 is a private airport in NJ, very near Philadelphia. So It would appear that my car really did get a ride in a jet from England to the US like my Dad was told from the previous owner(s).
4. The original application for a title and license plate to NC DMV in 1965. It shows the original license plate number, the amount of the lien $ 3028.00, and the owners name and address.
5. Each owner/s title with license plate number and address including me.

And all he asked was that I reimburse him for his expense in obtaining these records.
I'll be sending him more than he asked for.

Using the information that Steve sent me, I searched the web, found an email address for what I thought was the right person, emailed him and it was actually the original owner !
This was only possible because of Steve's work.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif
I now have documentation to ask the Heritage certificate folks to issue me a corrected certificate with the original license plate number on it.

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Re: Steve Byers pulled a rabbit out of the hat fo

Ed_K said:
This was only possible because of Steve's work.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif

That is great that he was able to find out so much about your car and that lead you to the original owner!

Steve is a great guy .. got to meet him at Tahoe in 2002 and he provides an incredible service to the Healey community. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif