• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I am about to buy a Triumph Toledo.

Alfasudcrazy

A british only car - so may not be known in the USA. Its like a cheaper looking dolomite.

Just wondered does anybody know anything about them. I want to use it as an everyday classic. Its only a 1300cc engine but I don't mind as I have plenty of other classics with more powerful engines.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
The Toledo was a decent enough little car. Good for use as a daily driver, it's cheap to run and cheap to insure. Parts are in good supply and are cheap, they were always reliable too. I always liked them.

They never made it over to the States, but I know enough about them from when I lived in the UK. You made a good choice for a useable, practical daily classic.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
A reply to Ireland from Scotland via the USA - that's progress for you!
I ran a Dolomite 1850 HL for three years as my every-day car. It was not the most reliable of cars, but a lot of that was down to the fact that the previous owner had not used it much for years. Also there were quite a number of bodges that had to be overcome.
I often thought that if I had bought a 1500 HL it would have been a better car, as I had terrible problems with the exhauxt manifold studs pulling out of the head and the downpipe to exhaust joint leaking.
I think that the Toledo is a much more straight forward car and a very good vehicle for every day use as long as you are not going great distances on motorways. Just make sure that you put plenty of underseal and wax on the underside, inside the doors, etc.
The Dolomite Owners Club is also a must. They produce many parts and have a good club forum.

IanF

Jedi Trainee
[obscure movie reference]

Am I the only one reading the thread title and getting a Blazing Saddles flash-back?

[/obscure movie reference]

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/square.gif

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Didn't the Toledo have front wheel drive?
I probably have some information in one of my
old issues of Practical Classics magazine.

- Doug

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
IanF said:
Am I the only one reading the thread title and getting a Blazing Saddles flash-back?
Could be ... I a big fan of BS, but I don't recognize the reference.

Is it true ?

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
AngliaGT said:
Didn't the Toledo have front wheel drive?
No. The earlier 1300 sedan did, though, and the same basic body structure was redone somewhat as the Toledo to accept rear wheel drive, even though the 1300 continued as front wheel drive, even evolving to a 1500.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Is it true ?

It's Twue,It's Twue....
Er, I still don't get it.

- Doug

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
AngliaGT said:
It's Twue,It's Twue....
So rent a copy of Blazing Saddles and find out !

(Hint : that noise in the middle of the clip is a zipper.)

OP
Alfasudcrazy

Alfasudcrazy

WOW - the Toledo may be a bit more interesting than I had at first thought. LOL.

Will post pics as soon as I (if I) have it.

IanF

Jedi Trainee
TR3driver said:
IanF said:
Could be ... I a big fan of BS, but I don't recognize the reference.

Is it true ?

Nope... not the scene I was thinking of, but it is one of the sheriff gags... I'll give you a hint:

"I think he'll do it..."

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

swift6

Yoda
TR3driver said:
AngliaGT said:
It's Twue,It's Twue....
So rent a copy of Blazing Saddles and find out !

(Hint : that noise in the middle of the clip is a zipper.)

Same area with all the Schnitzengruben references. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Holy Toledo! Thats Great!

Tinkerman

OP
Alfasudcrazy

Alfasudcrazy

Well I flew over to the UK this morning to collect my baby and everything went with military precision with my journey getting there about 10am allowing plenty of time for a leisurely and much looked forward to drive home on a glorious sunny day.

However all the stars in my eyes were blown away when I actually saw the car. Basically it was a heap of junk and a good lesson for anyone trying to judge the quality of a car from online pictures. basically the seller had handpainted over the many rust areas with a paintbrush and this coupled with pics taken at just the right distance gave the car a showroom look.

Of course I had questioned the seller at length as to its condition and I was assured it was rust free and that everything worked.

It turned out the the window wipers and brakes pretty important items to the smooth running of any car did not.

naturally I left the car with him and went home with my cash.

OK I know the price was low but that's no excuse for pretending the car was better than it was.

I had requested more up close pics prior to bidding but my request went unanswered. If anyone requests more pics make sure you get them before travelling and don't take any excuses about broken cameras etc.

Ah well I have 7 other classics to play with so I am not that sad really.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Nasty little cars - I had one for about 6 months back in the 70s in England. No go at all, and handled like a meringue.
I was glad to be rid of it.

Toledo_Man

Freshman Member
The Dolomite uses the same basic bodyshell as the 1500fwd. The Toledo is similar but has the same short boot (trunk) as the 1300fwd

It's a shame you found a lemon. The one I had was rotten & I ended up breaking it. They're not all as bad as that. As somebody said earlier on in this thread you should try the Triumph Dolomite Club. My newly-acquired Sprint was bought through an ad on the club's forum which proves that it is a good place to get a good example.