• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Daimler V8 on eBay

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm not, but would LOVE to! Looks very nice - M'lady would look particularly smashing in it! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well yes it is interesting. However, If it were a 1966 it would be a 250 V8 rather than a V8 250. The seller has corrected the year to 1969 which is about right. Never the less, the car has all the attributes of a 250 V8. This is not surprising as several of them have turned up in that configuration. Beware though, these cars are Smokers so if you are in an area that requires smog certification its going to be a hard sell and they are not your usual LBC to work on.---Fwiw---Keoke

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Keoke,

I'm surprised that as he imported the car in 1985, that the picture shows a 1966 U.K number plate. Is it that the pictures are old ones, if so why?

Alec

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Piman, I do not Know. I saw the reg too and I wondered about that also. But as you can see it looks more like a 250 V8 Than a Thin bumpered V8 250 Huh.---Keoke

Hey I missed your point about the Picky's I will check that out also-good point.

OP
Steve

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
The plate has just been left on for "cosmetic" reasons, I would say. The plate and the bumpers would suggest a 1966, but he says that the papers cite is being a '69. (I sent him a message asking several questions about the car, as I am interested).

Other than the engines, aren't they otherwise the same setup as the Jaguar MkIIs of the same vintage?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There are some similarities but a lot of differences critical parts are not from the Jaguar bin, and no bin now has them at all.--Keoke

The issue with the number plate is entirely different. In the UK a very early number plate can have a value greater than the car it is mounted on. Consequently, exported cars are generally stripped of the number plate. However, like mine. The PO owner brought the car with him to the US it was not a purchased new owner import and the original number plate is attached.

OP
Steve

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I agree that some of the older numbers are worth quite a bit, however that really applies to those that have two letters and four numbers, or three letters and three numbers. The ones such as that attached to this car would really have no particular value at all, unless it could be read as a word. The number COM 1 C was particularly famous.

Even if a number were transferred prior to the car leaving the UK, the physical plates themselves would probably stay attached to the car. The plates themselves don't change hands, new ones showing the transferred number would have to be obtained.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK Steve, Thanks; I always wondered what made a plate valuable. I stil wonder Why!---Keoke

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
tempting, but thats shoving the old buick/rover V8 into a very very small space... these cars run hot and smokey unless in a cold part of the planet... although if you run this beast enough maybe you'll put out enough CO2 to warm up the planet for the rest of us!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nonono.gif-Not a Buick/Rover V8---Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

piman

Darth Vader
Hello keoke,

I agree, and think that the seller is mistaken about the year of manufacture.

As regards the question, what makes a registration valuable, simply market forces, enough buyers and prices go up.

Alec

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Keoke said:
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nonono.gif-Not a Buick/Rover V8---Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Yup - the Turner designed Daimler SP250 engine - lovely, but the Mk 2 body is way overweight to make it anything but a slug.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Guess you been reading some of the wrong books too!---Keoke-- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

OP
Steve

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Keoke said:
Guess you been reading some of the wrong books too!---Keoke-- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I know that the Daimler had outright performance similar to that of the 3.4 Jaguar, and because the V8 is lighter than the XK lump, it also has better handling characteristics than any of the Jaguar variants. I've never thought of that car as a slug.....

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep, and if you have Whitehouse in the UK rebuild and beef your converter you can just about hang with the 3.8.- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif---Keoke

Country flag
AX 201 is another famous plate, as is GEN 11. Who can name the vehicles they belong to? No Googling first to find out!!! LOL

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Steve said:
I know that the Daimler had outright performance similar to that of the 3.4 Jaguar, and because the V8 is lighter than the XK lump, it also has better handling characteristics than any of the Jaguar variants. I've never thought of that car as a slug.....

Not even close Steve.

V8 - not far off weight, loses by 3 secs in the 1/4.

It did, however, blow away the Jag 2.4s.

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Keoke- just bought the IMP brochure, and it compares 250-V8 performance with the Jag MK2 3.8 and the Rover P5B.

Standing 1/4:
Jag-16.4
Rover-18.0
250-V8-19.6

Power:
Jag-220
Rover-161
250-V8-140

All FWIW
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/angel.gif