• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

In a quandary

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
I feel at a loose end, and am not sure what to do. I really enjoyed working on the GT (Harold), and getting it to a state where it looks good and drives well. I could do more on it, but I don't have the inclination: I'm all "GT'ed out"!

Instead, I feel like I should sell the GT and buy a different car to do up. I bought the GT for about a grand, and I reckon I've spent about a grand and a half on bits and pieces. What would the GT sell for? Would I break even? Do I care (no)? What could I buy next to restore with the proceeds?

I have a short list of cars that I fancy (in decreasing order of desirability):

GT6 (really like this one)
TR6
Spitfire
MGB roadster (wire wheels)

I think a Midget is too small. An old 911 might be fun, or perhaps a 914? Anything else I should consider?

Given my limited capabilities and experience, what do you suggest might be a good next project?

Bugeye58

Yoda
At the risk of being banned for heresy, Julian, I'd go with the GT6. The 2 liter 6 will walk away from an MGB, and they are undervalued on the current market. Easy to work on, and many parts are shared with the Spit, so they are readily available.
Oh, BTW, I own one, too. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Jeff

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
You want to sell?!

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Bugeye58 said:
No, I'll have this one 'til I croak, Julian!
Jeff

Good call ... let's hope that's a good long time!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'll stand and be counted, Julian. Jeff's right. If I'd not bought my first B (in '69!) the only other contender was a GT-6. It was a bit more money so I got the B.

You should be able to sell Harold for $3K neighborhood, I would guess.

And you're right: no way would you be comfortable in a Spridget!

My tuppence-worth.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
How about a B now that you have the basic skills. Might be time to fine tune them.

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Julian,

I guess that the main point is what you want in an LBC...

I have a preference for cars without a roof... ergo, MGB would be nice... but if you want performance, although a nice pre-70's MBG is perky, then the TR6 would be the way to go... A Spitfire might be too cramped and underpowered for you...

That, my friends, is two cents worth.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Familiarity with the marque vs. performance. MGB roadster vs. TR6!

KEEP THAT STEERING WHEEL, Julian! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
Reading through the various car forums, you will see a common thread everywhere. It's always someone reminiscing about the car they loved and regretfully sold years ago. I think you will regret selling that car. It's true that we never know what we really have until it's gone.

Can you add a second car? They don't cost much to buy if you're willing to do some work, which we know you are!

GT6's look neat, but they are hot and cramped. I wanted one until I first saw one up close and spoke to the owner. If you want a 6-cylinder British sports car, think MGC, MGC GT or TR6. Those would be my choices.

I'd offer you a ride in my B roadster but the engine is still out. How good are you at Fred Flintstone impersonations? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Julian, Given your earlier posts about room vis-a-vis steering wheel clearance, I know that a Midget is too small for you. If there was no such thing as a the MGB roadster, I'd be all over the early/mid-70's TR-6s. Roomy, quick, classic LBC.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] And you're right: no way would you be comfortable in a Spridget![/QUOTE]
doc...I'm 6'2" and fit just fine in my Sprite....why I must clear the windscreen by at least a foot!!.

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Heck I'll let you drive mine if you want to try a regular B. Only catch is it has to be before sat mid morning as I'm taking off till december.

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Julian,in the realm of common Brits,here is what you want you just dont know it yet. 1st,..a TR3,get a good one and the fun never stops, and it can be used as a daily driver.It will also keep up with a GT-6 2..a good TR8,at an older age,us,.. the comfort and power/handling are terrific.Imagine a 27 year old Brit that you can drive coast to coast,and enjoy. 3..ready???a Jensen Healey,a good one is a great one.

Steve_S

Yoda
I'll go along with the TR3 because they are neat cars, but you lose me with the TR8. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I'm taking off till december.[/QUOTE]
Stewart, you need to stop disappearing to the land of snow. You're gonna miss the Labor Day Run!

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Thanks to everyone for the excellent input (and Stewart for the offer of a drive in the MGB!).

I should have mentioned another constraint: the car needs to be 1975 or older, so I don't have to deal with the CA smog fiasco!

Looking around, it appears that GT6s are very thin on the ground. TR6s are much more readily available. MGB roadsters are of course widely available, but I do feel like a change. Austin Healeys look to be very expensive, as do the MGAs, TR3/4/5s.

The Spitfire is appealing. In 1977 I went to test drive a Spitfire at a small garage in Harpenden. I was 18, and took my Dad along with me. It was a left hand drive car, and selling for 500 pounds. I can't remember the year, but I thought it was superb. My Dad was less impressed. He knows cars, and used to work a lot on them. I believe he started off with an Austin 7 which he did up with his father, my grandfather (I remember him telling me horror stories about replacing the kingpins!).

Anyway, my Dad said he thought there was a problem with the layshaft, and that perhaps he could hear the big end knocking. I had no idea what he was talking about, but it sounded serious :smile: So I passed on that Spitfire, but I've subsequently always had a soft spot for them.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You could develop a neat LBC collection...MGB GT, Triumph GT6 or Spitfire, AH Bugeye or Sprite, Jaguar, etc....

Just don't get rid of your 1st love....