• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 door window alignment question

bailee2

Jedi Hopeful
Details~Details /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif

After completely restoring the doors, seals, window channels, curtains etc the windows do not line up correctly with the windshield frame and top. Also. the windshield frame seals were replaced.

My friend who is becoming very good on TR's thinks that we could shim the door mechanism's to tilt the glass to help with mating to the top but not sure about the alignment with the frame.

Any help is appreciated. Of course I have the door panels on and all but ready to drive the car after restoration.

Thanks.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
All I can say is good luck. I had more trouble with all new parts in the doors, than with the old worn out tracks and regulators. I finally got them right, but with one heck of a lot of effort.

Each of these cars is different and some hit it right on the first go around, so I can't blame it on the replacement parts. They just require a lot of hand fitting, which is exactly the way that they were built originally.

Telly

Country flag
I can't say that I'm happy with the replacement glass channels that I bought. I think I would try to find new felt to refurbish the old channels if I had to do it again.

Terry

71tr

Jedi Warrior
Terry,

What is the issue with your new window channels? I'm up in the air about restoring my old with new felt or purchasing all new channels.

Telly

Country flag
71tr, I'm not really sure but as Brosky mentioned there seems to be a lot of hand fitting that was done. The replacement channels are quite different in appearance but are supposed to cure rattling, etc. Maybe I was not patient enough with them to get everything lined up and shimmed. It just seems like it would be easier to glue new felt in to the originals and then replace them with original shims.

Terry

G

Actually, I once tried to rebuild my original channels by replacing the felt, etc. After much frustration and many hours of wasted effort, I caved and bought new channels from TRF. I couldn't be more happy with what I got, exact duplicates of OE parts. Not sure where other vendors source theirs (may be all the same manufacturers) but the Roadster's were top quality and still work well.

D

DougF

I am on my second set of replacement channels. The felt on the first set wore out quickly. If I do it again, I will try to refurbish an old set.

OP
B

bailee2

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks guys!
I rebuilt my window tracks from a stick of JC Whitney window track. You use the old mount ends and rivet them in place once cut to the right dimension. Not sure how long they will last but are a nice fit.

I am learning that the door panels have to come off and make numerous adjustments to get it closer. Just hoping someone could wave a magic wand or had a quicker solution.

Just like my TR3A I restored, it get's down to how much time and money do you have to spend to get it fully functional.

Because at the end of it you just want to drive it and ("I hope", "I hope","I hope") that its a good experience since your wife is gonna let you know that the pot at the end of the rainbow is MT.

Arlie
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif