• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My Seven is now a roller!

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
872849857_e5ac3996fa.jpg

872849789_35f3df42dc.jpg

please excuse the messy garage but I finally got my Luego Seven to the roller state. Still need to do the panhard rod mount. I think I'll wait until the last moment to position that. Couldn't resist tossing on some of the bodywork and wheels to see how it will look. Nothing is attached which is why its all misaligned.

Suspension bolts aren't on in the picture but I just got all them in. That was much harder than I thought. The bottom ones have to go in first otherwise they are impossible to put in (guess which I put in first).

I have the tranny ready to go in (mount created and welded in). Then the engine hopefully by the engine of the week. After that its a whole huge pile of little jobs - mostly plumbing - brake lines, clutch lines, fuel lines and of course all the electrical. I should have it ready just in time for winter!

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Wow! looking nice...now if you had some REAL buddies they'd push you around the neighborhood!! keep posting pics..

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
<span style='font-size: 17pt'>WOW! </span>

Excellent job, Dave. I knew you had *plans* to build one of these things, but I didn't know you were coming along so well on one. Looks great!

<span style='font-size: 8pt'> My garage is *much* worse.</span>

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
What's to power it?

OP
78Z

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks folks.

I actually feel - slow - had the parts for almost a year now but only starting to really make real progress now.

Did you ever start that Austin Seven replica project?

The engine is going to be a Toyota twin cam four cylinder from the mid 80s Corolla GTS (also MR2). T50 gearbox (also from the rwd GTS). My engine was rebuilt (not by me, but previous owner had it prof rebuilt) and has 600 miles on it. I have the stock fuel injection (115hp) or a set of Weber carbs (plus and the related timing stuff - 125hp). I think I'll go carbs but we'll see.

553673881_e584a90362.jpg

I've test fit it and looks like it should work ok - just have to put in for good.

555303813_373fc1cf4f.jpg

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
78Z said:
.....Did you ever start that Austin Seven replica project?

Yeah...it's rolling and has the 1275 in it.

But I'm stalled due to a big project at work that is killing my summer,....plus I'm doing wings on the plane.....and building a second race car with my son-in-law....and racing. The Austin Seven will likley move forward more this winter....or whenever I retire.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
WOW!! How'd I miss this project...are there other threads about it? Is this a kit or did you fabricate/weld the chassis yourself?

OP
78Z

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
I was going to weld up the frame myself but wimped out and bought one I found out we were expecting our third child. The chassis and bodywork are from a UK company called Luego. All the rest is sourced all sorts of places. For example engine and gearbox are Toyota, gauges and fuel tank are Triumph Spitfire, front spindles are Hyundai Stellar, etc. There is a probably one or two old threads about it but this is the first real progress I've made since Christmas.

OP
78Z

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
911904346_f1fa0e8d4e.jpg

I still need to measure things up to drill the holes for mounting the engine mounts but it looks like everything will fit. Gearbox is in. The exhaust manifold is looking a little iffy so custom headers might be needed. (Carbs will move over a little once that wood bit is removed - engine will go down slightly.)

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
Great read, I love Lotus replica build threads...they only make me want to do one of my own even more!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hoo! That's gonna be a little screamer - I call "SHOTGUN"!!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Where did you get a Weber manifold to fit to a Toyota T/C?

OP
78Z

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
The guy I bought the engine had it. They are around - I think you can buy them new on the internet somewhere. Not cheap of course.

R

RonMacPherson

Weren't the formula racers running these a few years back? Sort of Toyota's version of Formula Ford/Continental.

OP
78Z

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
There is also laer twenty valve version (sold in Corollas we didn't get) that puts out almost 200hp stock.

OP
78Z

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Just fits this engine!

Engine mounts fabricated, engine installed, radiator on and carbs (dual Webers) on - fit is perfect.

1068440286_3992e9a8a9.jpg

R

RonMacPherson

Looks good.

Question.

On the carburetor it looks like the JCWhitney type fuel pressure regulator. If so, I recommend, and I'm sure others with experience will add to it, to get a proper regulator?Holley, etc. Or a facet electric low pressure pump. They make one for aircraft that produces 30 gph and around 2 1/2 psi for under 35 dollar.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Totally agree. First time that knob thingie changes itself to 5 or 6 PSI and gas starts pouring out the carb throats you'll understand. Hope the engine is cold and the electrical connections are good... I've seen more'n one of 'em make a right mess of an otherwise nice car.