• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"[Daimler] Dart Tournament" in upstate New York?

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Today, my local club (Adirondack Triumph Association) had its annual British Motor Fest car show at (and in conjunction with) the Saratoga (NY) Automobile Museum. Pretty good turnout, with over 100 British cars in a wide variety of flavors. Most notable -- at least to me -- was a 1951 Daimler Conquest DHC and four (4) Daimler SP250s / Darts. Actually, it was three SP-250s and one "SP-289"; yes, it was a Dart with a Ford 289 stuffed it rather nicely.

Sorry I've no pictures of the 289, only one of a pretty white 250 with red interior and wire wheels. Maybe someday, when/if my computer and digital camera start talking to each other, I'll be able to upload at least that one picture.

Beyond those and the usual bunches of MGs, Triumphs and Austin-Healeys, there was a neat unrestored '49 Ford Prefect and a very cute restored '50 Morris Minor Convertible.

Nice show!

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Andrew,

it is interesting that the Dart name still is used in America, seeing that it was Dodge who made Daimler change the name to SP250 due to there being a Dodge Dart.

Alec

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
The Dart (below) comes to our vintage races pretty regularly. These pictures were taken at the '06 PVGP.

There is a Dart in my area (northwest NJ) and I see it in our mall and at stores, but I've never been able to speak to the owner. I've also seen another one at the Moss Motors "Britfest" show here in NJ.

Gogomobile made a "Dart" too....I am pretty sure I've seen one at Lime Rock. I may even have a picture somewhere.

mccabe_vrg06_sp250.jpg

DSC01334.jpg

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
There is three sp 250's in KC that I know of. One is virtually untouched. But you never see them out. I got several cases of old Practical Classics from the UK. One article (March 1998) mentions someone who built a dragster out of this motor and was getting about a 1.400 horses out of it.

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Re: "[Daimler] Dart Tournament" in upstate New Yor

Andy- sorry we didn't connect. Mine was the red steel wheel SP. We were having our DLOC-NA annual "rally" at Longfellows Inn and did our own car show within your group's show. The XK150 that won best of show was with us, he just brought it instead of one of his Daimlers so we all could see it. It is about a 7 year project, and he has accumulated more 100 point concourse ratings than any other 150 in the country. The show was a really nice one, and the weather couldn't have been better. Interesting that there were only 2 big healy's but all those TR's & MG's. And 2 TVR's to boot.
I share your frustration with posting images. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wall.gif

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag

KCbug- I bought my first SP in KC in 1961, and there were 6-10 in the area then. Nice there are still a few around. Still have fond memories of working flag at the KC region SCCA rases at Lake Garnett. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

DART said:
Nial- is that Ryan Smith's car??

Yes, I believe it is.

What's funny is that I do not actually know Ryan, but we both live in the same town in NJ.
I was wondering if the other street SP250 that I have seen around was somehow "connected" to him.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

What color is the other dart you see is it Moutain Blue??--Keoke

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag

The very highly modified SP was some shade of blue, don't remember him saying what the exact shade is called. That car had a frame built to accomodate the Cobra engine about 12" further back, then a SP body was fitted, fenders flared, etc., etc.
It will do 0-60 in under 5 sec. We traveled to the event with friends from Yorktown, VA who drove their V8-250. I wish I could find a LHD example. That is one sweet little car!!!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

OH That Blue one is Bud's car AKA the other SP250. All he used was the body . RH Drive Saloon is OK, left Hand drive very few. All of em V8 Saloons ride "Smooth as Glass".---Keoke /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

Somwhere in this huge page of thumbnails, there is a red Dart that ran last year's PVGP (and not the blue one above).

https://www.gullwingsearch.com/display.cfm?CategoryID=138

Also, for those "Dart" lovers, here's a Goggomobile Dart (rhd drive with right side door only....German car built in Australia)

1959gg01.jpg

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight

Roger Hurst has been involved in the British car scene in KC forever. He's had a shop that used to work on lbcs, but now it caters to foriegn cars and not lbcs. His shop is one that is almost perfectly clean and very well orginized. On top of this, he is a great guy who is always willing to help. He serviced a 250 that raced yrs ago and this same person had found one that Roger was mechanically restoring when I first saw it and started to become familiar with it. Roger has the other two in the KC area I know of.