• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Round Engine Bike

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
One of my college kids sent this to me this week.

If you like planes and bikes (as I do), you will probably find this at least interesting.
(but part of me says it would have been smarter to put this engine in an airplane....oh well).

radial-engine-bike.jpg

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
A lot of work went into that didn't it? I agree, radial engines are better suited to aircraft, motorcycles need the low centre of gravity that a conventional engine would provide.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'll bet that's a "hummer" to ride...firing all way around that circle!

davelgee

Mergola did it better, but still, it didn't work all that well! All that spinning mass would lead to "interesting" handling effects! At least Harley had the good sense to cut these engines into slices, but the wiley Italians did that better too and got a 90deg twin with a bit of balance.

Cheers!
Dave G.

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I didn't have a clue what a "Mergola" was, so I googled it.

Turns out that a "Megola" is an old German bike with a radial five in the front wheel (with no clutch...direct drive). Interesting!

The red bike below is a Megola

Also, below that, another "radial chopper"

Megola-1922-25-1.jpg

radialmotorcycle.jpg

malice

Yeah but how does it fire? One cyl at a time? If not it could be set to offset itself? Maybe im only making sense to myself. I am tired.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
With NOS to less!!

lawguy

Jedi Knight
Trying to evaluiate the radial chopper as a long distance cruiser misses the point. It is a matter of kinetic art and unmitigated cool. On those points, it scores well.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
lawguy said:
Trying to evaluiate the radial chopper as a long distance cruiser misses the point. It is a matter of kinetic art and unmitigated cool. On those points, it scores well.

I would agree that as a work of art, it is nothing short of amazing, but I always felt that the point of building a motorcycle would be to make it at least rideable. I don't know about a long-distance cruiser, I think that you would be in mortal danger just riding it to the local gas station! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

MikeP

Jedi Knight
I wonder if you could even ride it on anything but the smoothest pavement. Looks to me like it would hit the lowest rockers if you hit a bump or small hole. Still, impressive engineering.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
malice said:
Yeah but how does it fire? One cyl at a time?

Yes. The crank has only one throw. You are really taxing my poor old brain, but if I recall correctly, the firing order for a seven cylinder radial is 1 - 3 - 5 - 7 - 2 - 4 - 6.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Sheds, now let's confuse 'em with how everything rotates without getting tangled up! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif
Jeff

Bugeye58

Yoda
Here's one that may be a little too large for a bike. All 4360 cubic inches of it!
Jeff

Attachments

• 6473.jpg
    6473.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 91

Bugeye58

Yoda
Mark, that looks like an old R1820. Ya gotta love the sound of those inertia starters. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif
Jeff

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Bugeye58 said:
Sheds, now let's confuse 'em with how everything rotates without getting tangled up! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif
Jeff

I wonder if you can still get the Visible Radial model. We had one at the school. It was like the Visible V-8 or Visible Man.

We also has a Kinner 5 cylinder radial cut-away that rotated at 2 RPM by an electric motor. It's in the Hagerstown Aviation Museum now. Hypnotic.

The Udvar-Hazy Facility has an R-985 (I think) that rotates and opens up when you push a button. Cool.