• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Holy clogged coolant holes, Batman!

Creatrixx

Jedi Hopeful
Well, seems we found a huge reason why my engine was overheating. The coolant holes on both the head and the block are pretty much non existent. We're going to get the head cleaned, but we're having trouble with the holes on the block. Even trying to dig it out with a screwdriver and a rubber mallet to help isn't working. Any suggestions?

blocked%20coolant0001.JPG

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If the coolant holes are that clogged there's probably only 1 answer: boil the block!

Bugeye58

Yoda
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif
That's the only way to get them clean. Even if you could clean the holes out, there is still all that gunk in the rest of the coolant passages. I wouldn't even want to guess what's behind the freeze plugs!
Jeff

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Know you don't want to hear it - but yank the negine, strip it & have the machine shop boil it clean...then rebuild.

Country flag
Might it be less costly in the long run to purchase an engine from somewhere else and stick the current one away for a future rebuild? By the time you spend the $$$ for all the new parts, gaskets, labor, etc. you might be better off?? Just food for thought......

OP
Creatrixx

Creatrixx

Jedi Hopeful
I really don't have the time or money for either boiling it out or replacing the block, considering this is the car I take to work everyday. We managed to open the holes with a screw driver, but I'm not sure how to clean out the rest of the passages. Is there a chemical that would work that I could keep the engine in the car and use?

Country flag
Just thinking out loud here......perhaps if you used some sort of solvent/cleaner and some wire bristle brushes something like what is used to clean gun barrels, etc. you might be able to break loose the crud and then get those passages opened up....a LOT of elbow grease - which fortunately is mainly free! LoL Not sure how much you will be able to accomplish though.....<fingers crossed for you>

Country flag
A thought.....take some of the sludge you've managed to remove from the passages and test some various products on in it - drain cleaners and such - see which is most effective. A product called CLR comes to mind.....might work? Another product is called Thrift.... Be sure to test anything first.....wouldn't want you to damage anything.

OP
Creatrixx

Creatrixx

Jedi Hopeful
good ideas. We'll also check with the guy who is boiling out the head to see if he can recommend a solvent for the block.

Remember, kids, flushing your coolant system more than once every 27 years is important. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

dklawson

Yoda
I understand the budget and time constraints. I haven't had to deal with the amount of buildup that your engine has but I do have a suggested procedure you can try.

1) Start by putting the old pump back on for the cleaning process. There is no reason to expose the new pump to any chemicals.
2) Plug all the oil passageway holes with corks or stoppers (the home center should have them). You don't want to get any chemicals down in the oil.
3) Take liberal finger loads of grease or Vaseline and build a bead/dam between the bores and the tops of the pistons. As above, you don't want to get chemicals in places they shouldn't be. Coat the walls of the bores with grease/Vaseline while you're there.
4) Hose out as much of the block as you can to dislodge crud. Consider feeding the water to the bottom radiator hose so the water flows up through the block and out. You'll see why I suggested to coat the bores and pistons with Vaseline. This will be messy.
5) Let all that water drain back down and out.
6) Go to Advance Auto and look for a bottle of green liquid called "Right Stuff Rust Remover". Sometimes home centers have this or a similar product. You're looking for a de-ruster with phosphoric acid.
7) Use drill bits (by hand) to open up the water passageways as much as possible.
8) Plug the open lower radiator hose and use a funnel to fill the block up with the phosphoric acid. Fill it all the way to the top of the block.
9) Allow the chemicals to work overnight, then try using some gun cleaning brushes as mentioned above to clean out the holes as much as possible. Top the block up again with phosphoric acid and wait another day, then repeat the gun cleaning brushes.
10) Flush the block (bottom up again) with fresh water. Let the water run for a while to get all the acid out.
11) Finally... put the good pump back on. If you need a new gasket, check your local parts supplier to see if they have one for a '74 MG Midget. If not, buy gasket paper and cut your own. Do not re-use the old gasket.
12) Look at your picture above. Do NOT put that accordion hose between the head and the new water pump. Replace it with a piece of 1/2" heater hose (or is it 5/8"? I forget). The only reason those accordion hoses exist is for emergency repairs. They are weak and should not be placed back on a car when the head or water pump have been removed. Standard heater hose cut to length will work much better.
13) Clean up everything REALLY well. Remove all the plugs and Vaseline and put the head back on.

You can see this is a lot of work. Fitting a donor engine would in fact be quicker (if you had one, and if you had the money and time).

Footnote: The CLR mentioned above is a version of phosphoric acid. It's weaker than the product I'm suggesting you get but CLR or Lime Away will work (somewhat) if you can't get the products I suggested. Do not be overly alarmed at using phosphoric acid. You drink it every time you have a Coke. It is an acid so normal caution is advised (eye protection, etc), but it's relatively mild (unless you're rust) and it will break down naturally without causing a lot of environmental damage.

I'm sure my method above is TMI, but given your constraints, I'd try chemical cleaning in place.

EDIT: ALSO, cover the distributor with plastic grocery bags before all this wet work. Make sure you keep it dry to avoid problems when it's time to restart.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Good advice from Doug......it looks like this took some time to collate and type.

The best thing about the BCF is the willingness of its members to share their knowledge and experience with others, and to help "rookies" in the hobby as much as they can.

I hope that this works out for you.

Kudos to Doug for his post!

Country flag
Keeping with what Doug said, perhaps even actually using Coke might work.....the military uses it for cleaning purposes (so I have heard). Get the benefit of the phosphoric acid to dissolve the crud AND the fizz to carry the debris away!!

Now as for the effects it has on our digestive systems......<shudder!>

dklawson

Yoda
There are a lot of urban legends about what can be done with Coke. MythBusters dedicated an entire show to the topic about two years ago. Of all the ones I'd ever heard of (meat tenderizer, cleaning agent, dissolver of teeth...) only one proved to be true. According to their results, Coke in combination with aluminum foil makes a good chrome polishing system, apparently better than some commercial chrome polish.

If you decide to go for the chemical cleaning, look for the green "De-Ruster" I mentioned above. Alternatives that may be available in your area (and/or online) include Metal Ready from POR-15 ($$$), Oxisolve from various online sources ($$$), and Ospho online and at various auto paint stores ($$). The Right Stuff brand I mentioned above is the least expensive of any of these.

Steve, thanks for the compliments. I just didn't feel like working today so time was at my disposal.

Country flag
Mythbusters is a great show! Those guys seem to have a LOT of fun doing what they do..... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif My comment was more in fun than seriousness....

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Phospohic acid is available from farm supply stores as 'Milk Stone Remover". Dairy farmers use it to clean their milking equipment every day. It works great as a cooling system cleaner.

I'd suggest removing the frost plugs after you replace the head and give the engine a good flushing. I had a '73 Mustang years ago that had a badly rusted cooling system. I used several phosporic acid flushes along with long flushes with a graden hose and it cleaned up quite nicely...got rid of the overheating problem, too.

Here's photo of my TR2's cooling system before I cleaned it up a bit...same problem but the wet sleeves make correcting the problem a little easier.
IMG_1949.jpg