• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series 1953 MG TD Reassembly - CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, after spending hours identifying & laying out each new rubber piece & all the new nuts, bolts, washers, fasteners so we could get to them, we got the gas tank installed & most of the firewall finished....&, as with any project, found a few fasteners I hadn't ordered so they'll be here Tuesday.

tdreassembly01.JPG

tdreassembly03.JPG

tdreassembly02.JPG

More Monday as we progress.....

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Oooh is that an aircleaner in the background? Neat.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Oooh is that an aircleaner in the background? Neat.[/QUOTE]

Yep, top photo - upper right corner of photo on table...that's the original oil bath air cleaner that goes on the air box that's connected between the 2 carbs.....good eyes!!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
mmmmmmm.... shineeeeeeyyyyyy

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Good eye's only because I have been looking for that pair for some time. I just refuse to pay a million for it.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I know - I was worried until I finally got through all the boxes of parts that came with mine & found the entire air cleaner setup.

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
Tony think about bringing this jewel to evansville in sept for our show

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Chuck - I will....though I don't know what September holds yet.

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
Tony Ill have Moon send you a flyer just as soon as he gets back from California

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
What's wrong with this photo:

tdclear04.JPG

I didn't notice until today when I went to install the panel - but there's a big homemade hole in it...the one that's being used to hang it.....apparently somebody had a radio antenna mounted there.

So, we had to make a round plug, weld it, smooth it, repaint & clear it...will buff it tomorrow & install...my plans tomorrow are to get it & the bumper brackets all mounted.

Firewall is pretty complete now that I've found my second horn & we've gotten it & its brackets painted.

Sent the windscreen cowl brackets & radiator cap off to Knox Custom Chrome today for rechrome....grille surround will probably go tomorrow as we've got the slats out & primed for their paint.

Oh, the little pieces holding the slats to the grille WILL break when you try to remove yours - but never fear, Moss has a set of repacements! They're just not identified to use for that purpose.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
You beat me to your own quesion but I actually have holes here as period turn signals were mounted here way back when. On on each side. One is a little bugger so I am looking fo another. Yankee 120 - small bullet shapped chrome light with a red glass lens.

I have a few period things that the PO must have put on.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ahh Tony, now you are finding things that I found when I got home and started to assemble Miss Agatha. Guess thats whe way it is when you don't do the job yourself.

You going to like your stuff from Knox Chrome, I should get a discount from them, you are the second person to send stuff that I know of.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Guess thats whe way it is when you don't do the job yourself.
[/QUOTE]

Think its more part of the body shop not disassembling the car...I took the disassembled parts to them & marked each hole I wanted closed - just missed this one. I think when they do the '63 Midget for the show next summer, they'll find things like that because they're gonna disassemble her (& she has luggage rack & antenna holes that will get filled).

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
tdclear01.JPG

tdclear02.JPG

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
WHEW!! At the end of one hot, muggy day:

1. Firewall is finally complete (except for hooking up a few wires)...do you see the wooden battery tray? & the cowl weatherstripping is held in place with little spiral brass nails every 5"...ever tried to nail into Ash that's been treated against rot without hitting the paint? We did it & only bent 2 nails!!

tdreassembly04.JPG

2. Unwrapped my NOS rear bumper bar only to find its a NOS front bumper...the factory numbered it incorrectly! So, I ordered a Moss reproduction bar today...& my original front bumper is in darn good condition (I was going to reuse it - so there's another piece that'll be for sale when the car is finished)! The new overriders are still protected by plastic with not a used fastener anywhere in the assembly! The top of the gas tank is held with temporary bolts until the interior panel is put in place & then the chrome bolts/cap nuts go through & show, probaby what we'll tackle tomorrow.

tdreassembly05.JPG

<u>LESSON LEARNED:</u> Modern tap & die sets won't work for chasing threads in captive nuts in the TD's body...while thread count is the same, the angle of the threads is apparently a little different!

Steve_S

Yoda
BS thread is indeed a different shape than SAE.

Keep me in mind when you sell that front bumper. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Keep me in mind when you sell that front bumper.[/QUOTE]

Thought about you first...think when I'm finished I'll make a big list of everything I've got & send it to you.