• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

v6 conversion

KeithH

Freshman Member
I have a 67 alpine that wants a new v6 engine. Could someone please direct me to where I can purchase the conversion kit? Any help would or tips about the conversion would be greatly appreciated.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Welcome to the British Car Forum!

I have seen V6 swaps (all Fords) but I am not familiar with any kits.
However, one of our members (Chuck, AKA "thegoodbeamer"), has mentioned something about this in the past.

If he doesn't reply here, send him a note at:

thegoodbeamer1@shaw.ca

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Hi Keith
Welcome to the Sunbeam world.
Yes the 2.8 Ford V6 and a T5 tranny will definitley make your Alpine a real sports car.200 HP is easily attained
Feel free to email me
(thegoodbeamer1@shaw.ca)
Chuck

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
78Z said:
There is a kit apparently for V6 Joe. Check out this link: https://www.britishv8.org/Other/RobWiseman.htm

Yes there is a kit
You will have to wait a bit for it.V6 Joe's fabricator has retired.Now Joe in conjunction with a Jim Ellis are near to have fabricators in line to once again supply the kits. as in the past it is a no nonsence kit that makes it an easy conversion.I did my V6 conversion in 1979 long before I even heard of V6 Joe.It turned the Alpine into a fun and most reliable sport car.I put just over 177000 miles on it and other than doing the carb and regular maintenace it never quit.Oh yes it was a 2.6 and not the 2.8 but back then who knew.It was rated conservatively at 170HP wich made it a contender.

If any are interested i have a v6 2.6 with the original tranny just taking up space in my garage........

mark

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
The 2.6 is a good engine but not capable of the easy to obtain 200 HP of the 2.8.The kit is designed for the 2.8 Ford.Saying that I did do my V6 conversion with the 2.6 Back in 1979.It was estimated to be around the 170 HP mark.We put 177000 plus miles on this setup.It was a most fun and reliable engine you could want.It also made the Alpine a much better sport car.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I saw a V6 conversion at the Wilmington, NC car show. I was told that it was a English Ford V6. Looked real good in the engine bay with a little room to spare. Don't know about the tranny though. PJ

Opps! Sorry guys, I dont mean to jump in on your conversation. I don't venture over here often. Just thought I'd throw in the info. about the V6.

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Why would you feel the need to apologize.
This is what its all about is it not.
To share is just simply marvelous RIGHT.
Yes there are quite a few V6 ers out there in the sunbeam world.Most trannys are the Ford T5.Usually a shortened 8 inch ford rear end is the choice.
The T5 from the supercharged T bird is quite a nice tranny.I have this in the 62 and it is smooth as silk.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
There was a Sunbeam Tiger at the Wilmington, NC show with a V8 in it. Did they come that way originally? It must be a wild little car with a V8. I'd say a real sleeper.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
PAUL161 said:
There was a Sunbeam Tiger at the Wilmington, NC show with a V8 in it. Did they come that way originally? It must be a wild little car with a V8. I'd say a real sleeper.

It wouldn't be a Tiger without a V8 - it'd be an Alpine.