• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BRAKE PAD SQUEEL PROBLEM?

hkzimmer

Freshman Member
Country flag
JUST INSTALLED EBC GREEN STUFF BRAKE PADS ON THE '71 TR-6; PUT ON PERMATEX DISK BRAKE QUIET AND LET SIT AT LEAST 30 MINUTES BEFORE INSTALLING BRAKE PADS. NOW THE BRAKE SQUEEL IS 100 X's WORSE THAN WITH THE OLD PADS; I THOUGHT THAT THE DISK BRAKE QUIET IS SUPPOSED TO FIX THE PROBLEM, WHAT DID I DO WRONG??

piman

Darth Vader
Hello HK,

I'm not familiar with the product but I assume that it is a lubricant that goes on the pad backing plate. I also assume that the anti-squeal shims are in place and the pads were free in the calipers?
If so I suggest that you drive it until the pads bed in, (are there any instructions with the pads as to a running in procedure?)

Alec

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I have used that blue goo and it helps... but I do not have the Green Stuff pads. I use the pads Moss offers that are guaranteed to not squeal or dust. Mostly true.

D

DougF

I haven't had any sqeal problems with the green stuff pads, just very dirty Panasports.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If the brakes were squealing before, you should have resurfaced the rotors. At least with some kind of abrasive, like crocus cloth or those discs that 3M sells for the purpose.

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Aloha HK,

I changed to Green not too long ago and started hearing not a squeal but a sort of rubbing sound. I pulled the pads and found the backing pad that came on the pads had shifted off the center of the pad. There are no holes for the pins to hold it in place like the original steel anti-squeal shims. The glue got hot I guess - I went back to the original AS shims.

The car does stop better with the green, but the DPO pads were so worn anything was an improvement. I'll try to add a picture, but I'll have to resize. Cheers.

Jeff
74 TR6 CF13816U

Attachments

• 6101-TR6BrakePad_1.jpg
    6101-TR6BrakePad_1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 75
  • 6102-TR6BrakePad_2.jpg
    6102-TR6BrakePad_2.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 58

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi HKZimmer, reportedly the Moss Motors "Anti Squeal Strips" will quiet the brake pads down.--Fwiw--Keoke

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
Go to NAPA THEY have the best quality shims(BECK ARNLEY) shims for my Spitfire(80)were $10.00 for l&r sides(4 shims)They come out of Charleston SC.in 2 days.

G

DougF said:
I haven't had any sqeal problems with the green stuff pads, just very dirty Panasports.

Boy, are you right about that! Way worse than stock pads.

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I installed anti-squeel shims on standard pads a while ago. They worked for a few months, and then the squeeling came back. I have heard many a Triumph man describe this as a safety feature to let us know that the brakes have been properly applied. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
Squeal also is an indicator the brake pads need replaced,on most ALL cars theirs a small piece of metal that protrudes & when the pads wear down to a certain thickness the piece of metal touches the rotor the squeal starts a warning the pads need replaced,BUT thats unrelated to the shim squeal.
Ken

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
myspitfire said:
Squeal also is an indicator the brake pads need replaced,on most ALL cars theirs a small piece of metal that protrudes & when the pads wear down to a certain thickness the piece of metal touches the rotor the squeal starts a warning the pads need replaced,BUT thats unrelated to the shim squeal.
Ken

Yes, excellent point!

G

MadRiver said:
myspitfire said:
Ken

Yes, excellent point!

I really don't think that the Triumph has this "tattle tale" feature. Besides, I have anti-squeal shims, Kevlar pads with PLENTY pad left and they still squeal, most of the time. But that brake dust is very, very annoying. Glad to hear someone else has this issue.

brdave

I cannot get rid of my brake squeal as well. Machined the rotors, camfered the pads, used anti squeal, even bought a second set of pads with a "guarantee" that they would not squeal or they will replace them with another set. Seems to be a common problem!
dave

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Last year I rebuilt every single component of the braking system, and while the car stops on a proverbial dime, his brakes squeal. Like I said -- it's a safety feature! Not only does it tell the driver that the brakes have been successfully engaged, it warns others around you that you're stopping! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW, I bought a set of "one size fits all" aluminum anti-squeal shims at my local FLAPS. These get cut to shape and stuck on the back of the pads, between the pad & piston. Stopped the squeal on my TR3A dead in it's tracks. I also rubbed the surface of the rotors down with crocus cloth in a circular pattern, to try to ensure there wasn't any microscopic "washboarding".

mike crane

I installed the green pads as they were advertised to give better braking as well as be dustless and not squeal. They were anything but. I had the rotors refaced, tried goop, stickers, all to no avail. On a week long tour with some fellow TR owners the complaints got so bad that I had new TRW pads UPS'd to a lodge on our itinerary. When I arrived at the lodge they were there. Replaced them in the parking lot. Still have a dusting problem on my KNs but the silence is golden-this after two years.
Mike '71 TR6

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Dave Russell said:
Pieces cut from an aluminum pop can work just as well.
Could be, but the stuff I got was both thicker and softer than a pop can. Not to mention already having the high temperature adhesive applied.

D

DougF

Several years ago there was a problem with the new stock pads. No matter what you did, you couldn't stop the squeal.
The only answer was replacement.
I must be lucky that mine don't squeal. I'll look to see if I did anything different.
If you can't fix it, you have an attention getter for when your horn doesn't work...probably louder too.