• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1994 XJ6 XJ40 fuel pump replacement

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
A neighbor dropped by asking me to help him get his dead fuel pump out of the 94 XJ6 he had just purchased. I had owned a 1993, but had not had the pleasure of replacing any parts on the car. After removing the filler neck attachments, the two black bands that secure the tank, the rear seat, parcel shelf, and anything else that looked promising, the tank will not budge.

Does anyone know the procedure, I assume there is a bolt or two under the car or elsewhere that is securing the tank. If the tank will pull backward in the trunk toward the rear of the car, I would think that access to the fuel pump (on top of the tank I believe) would be fairly simple. I no longer have the repair manuals and we couldn't find one locally without ordering. Any tech advice is appreciated.

Best Regards,
Brian

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
According to the Haynes Manual, the driveline must be removed to access the bolts holding the straps to the tank.

OP
bmurphy7369

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Larry,
The driveline, meaning under the car? There are two bolts that are visible (removed already) in the trunk. This allows the straps to push upward, but the tank is still mounted firmly. I checked the web on 1994 XJ6 fuel tank and it seems as if the tank is only for that year... the pump also looks like the 1995 pumps from the X300, the XJ8 1995 thru ?. The driveline to me would seem like the axle, maybe there are more mounting bolts under the car for the straps. This setup could be a changeover period for the last year of the XJ40. Usually parts are listed 1988-89, and 1990-94. The fuel pump being a 1995 XJ part number is a little confusing. On ebay there is a tank listed as a 1994 XJ6 fuel tank, and it is exactly as I saw the one in this car. The fuel pump is at the top and looks like it twists and turns to pull out of the tank. I hope the poor guy gets a good manual soon, I know Haynes is a good one, but it is hard to picture the setup without the diagrams in hand. Thanks and I'll go over tomorrow and jack up the car and check out the underside.

If you have ever seen the tank straps on a TR3 from the rear of the interior, panel removed, this is pretty much what I am seeing in the trunk. When you take out the back seat there is no opening at all as there were in the older models in the XJ line, but of course the tanks were on each side of the car. I am guessing this is a safety shield for the rear passengers. Usually you could see inside the trunk or at least a few bolts were within view.

Thanks for the research and info Larry and welcome to the forum......
Best Regards,
Brian

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
If I remember correctly there are 2 fuel line connections accessed under the car. They are retained by a pair of stubborn clips that you pull part way off, and then the lines have O rings that make them cranky about pulling out.I do not remember any bolts underneath.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I guess I should specify, the lines are "above" the rear axles, under the bottom of the tank.

OP
bmurphy7369

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Thanks guys,
Those stubborn clips came all the way off, one went flying and the second was lost temporarily. Of course without them when the fuel pressure builds, the line to the Injection blows out of the underside hole! But, with someone holding the banjo in place, we got a start, for a few seconds. The tank is cumbersome and difficult to maneuver, but the two lines at the bottom were definitely the problem. I think dropping the rear drive would make it much easier to remove and replace the two clipped hoses, but what a job. I can see though why Haynes would recommend it, so little room to work and so easy to lose a clip where you can't see what you're doing.

You guys are great, and the owner of the car is thankful to you as well...

Best Regards,
Brian