• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Quality of Moss TR4 panels

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi guys - I totally lucked out and found a friend of a friend who is professional welder and going to help me replace a couple of the TR4a panels that are shot.

Since Moss is pretty close to me I was going to take the truck up there and save the shipping / time on the panels, but I want to see if anyone had experience with their quality first.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
I have used Moss and TRF. The outer rockers from Moss were better the TRF but still needed a lot of hammer and dolly work. The door skins and floors I got from TRF were fine.

The rockers and floors are the same for a six as a four.

The only way to tell is to go and look at them.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Ray - how did you removed your rockers? Did you have to any other panels besides the floor?

Are they spot welded or did you use a nibbler or similar?

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Here are the pictures (nasty) of where the two floor boards meet the firewall and the very gone passenger side inner front rocker.

TR4AWeldingneeds002.jpg

TR4AWeldingneeds003.jpg

TR4AWeldingneeds005.jpg

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I'm thinking drivers side floor, and the passenger side rockers for sure, but do you think the front firewall can be patched?

Believe it or not the rest of the car is solid.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
tdskip said:
I'm thinking drivers side floor, and the passenger side rockers for sure, but do you think the front firewall can be patched?

Believe it or not the rest of the car is solid.

Someone, in the past worked on these areas of the car, and not very well at that. (I like the plumbers tape).

The lower part of the firewall can be repaired with a patch made from some 22 gauge sheet metal. A very simple piece to make (basically just an "L" shaped patch). If you are uncomfortable making your own patch, this part can be purchased allowing you to cutoff just what you need to fix the rusted area.

I would replace both floors. The drivers side is obviously gone, and the passengers front and lower front lip looks rusted through (although most everything can be patched). You need only to decide if a full or partial replacement is in order.

The outer rocker had the forward part replaced. Replacement rocker panels need a lot of hammer and dolly work to fit and look good. If the visible part of the rocker under the door is sound, then you might consider just replacing the forward portion as did the prior owner.

The inner front sill is rusted but looks like it can be easily repaired.

The passenger kick panel has what looks like a pop riveted patch that needs attention, as does a small area in the front.

I use a spot weld drill on parts I want to reuse. Otherwise, an air powered cutoff wheel and grinder is all I have. An air powered nibbler or shear is better, but the wife got tired of seeing the brown delivery truck in front of the house.

Just keep in mind that partial panel replacement is a good technique if done well. In any event, go slow, and do only one panel or fix at a time. Pay a lot of attention to the "A" post or you will have problems aligning your doors. Read all you can on floor and rocker replacement on this and other forums and you should be fine.

Larry4A

I have brand new inner front fenders and a upper front valance, no rust or dents, just primed. The inner front fenders are attached to a solid fire wall all off a TR4A. It includes new wheel arches. Send me an email at spoulers@shaw.ca if you want to save your friend time in doing a patch weld and save a great deal of money on the parts.

Cheers from the great white north on the west coast.