• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

new subframes

mofiki

ok so haveing my poor mk3 siting in a lot in england for a year has taken a toll on her, it seems that i am going to need to get my hands on a new set of subframes, and a whole lot of new body pannels.
now seeing as i was planning on swaping out the drum brakes for disk brakes all arround.
can any one suggest a good place that i can order a new set of subrames, with the brake lines already installed. i am also trying to get a full kad setup for her, but im working on a $3500ish budget right now, so the kad setup can wate untill later.

dklawson

Yoda
Where are you? Your profile says England but you're speaking of your budget in Dollars.

OP
M

mofiki

oh wow i havent changed that im in south dakota now. im prety much open to driving anywhere to pick the parts up.

dklawson

Yoda
That is a bit of a change in address.

Are you looking for a nicely rebuilt painted up subframe or do you want a serviceable one with most the bits on it? I think Mini City probably still sells used subframes. Of course they're in NY state and a bit far from you.

You may wish to google for the Victoria Minis club For Sale pages. They have people posting from all over the place, but most of them are in the western U.S. and Canada. You can also check the For Sale pages on the MiniMania web site.

Used subframes do surface every now and then, even in the U.S. but you will have to do some digging and posting like this to find them.

OP
M

mofiki

ok then i will have a look and see what i can dig up, im still not sure how shot they really are but i will get to see soon enough

dklawson

Yoda
Unless they are bent and/or the rear one's vertical webs are badly rusted through I'll bet you can use your own. Front ones are usually "protected" by a thick oily film. By comparison, the rear ones rust out on the vertical webs and that's when they're shot.

OP
M

mofiki

ok then well i will see in about a month give or take, all i was told was that the bolts were almost rusted through, im sure that i can figure somthing up, but they still need to be taken off, ground out, and resprayed, but that will be cheeper then buying a set of used, or new ones.

dklawson

Yoda
When you are ready to pull the rear subframe post here again. You need to do a lot of prep work before attempting to remove the mounting bolts. This prep work may save you from breaking the mounting bolts which is a fairly common problem.

BritCarFan

Jedi Hopeful
There is a guy on e-bay that sells reconditioned rear subframes. I don't see him on there right now, but if you keep an eye on it, you may be lucky.