• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Leaky fuel pump?

delisaj

Started smelling gas when driving my tr6 yesterday, and noticed a puddle of fluid underneath the car. After looking under the hood, I can see gas oozing out of the fuel pump. Any suggestions on how to fix it/replace it? If it is an easy job, I'd like to try to tackle it, otherwise, I could order the pump from TRF and take it to my local repair guy. Thoughs and suggestions?

As always, thanks in advance. Weather is getting too nice to leave her in the garage.

John

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I just did this job, and it's not too difficult.... my only advice: Mark "inlet', or something, on the pump body, so you don't mix up the valves; (ask how I know this) /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wall.gif

I found the valves to be difficult to remove and replace; I think mine was original to the car, and I had to destroy the original valves to get them out. I also found the TRF kit better than the Moss kit, in that the Moss kit valves seemed slightly larger. In fact, I gave up trying to use them; IMO, the TRF valves themselves were made better.

Use a Vice-Grips, or something similiar to pinch off fuel flow before starting to dissasemble. Amazing how well gravity feed works!

guzzul

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
delisaj said:
Any suggestions on how to fix it/replace it? If it is an easy job, I'd like to try to tackle it, otherwise, I could order the pump from TRF and take it to my local repair guy.
Replacing the pump is pretty easy. Two nuts off and on.

As Kevin notes, you can also get a kit and rebuild them. Usually it's the diaphragm thats punctured and leaking. Rebuilding is a little more fiddly, but not too difficult - just make sure you get the valves the right way around. If you search for Kevin's earlier posts (a few weeks ago I think) he has some pics and good notes.

If your budget allows, I would think about getting a new pump to get going, and rebuilding the old one as a spare.

If you have fuel running down the side of the block you probably have fuel inside the block also, so change the oil.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
mrv8q said:
...Use a Vice-Grips, or something similiar to pinch off fuel flow before starting to dissasemble. Amazing how well gravity feed works!
True. Depending on the exact size of the (presumably) rubber fuel line, I prefer to use either a golf tee or an appropriately sized Philips screwdriver or drift. Add hose clamp as needed. Sure, you'll spill a bit getting that line off the pump (or wherever it's attached), but I'm uncomfortable clamping on rubber hoses.

I suppose a hemostat would work if you've access to surgical tools.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I have to admit that I simply replaced Greenie's old leaky fuel pump with a replacement from TRF. It looks exactly like the original, and installation took about ten minutes. I did save his old pump just in case I'm overtaken with a desire to rebuild it, but thus far, that desire has not set in. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Even if the mood strikes ya, you'll need to clean the points if you leave it sit for any time... Ooh. I fergot: I'm in th' 'rumphie house. Youse guys have those li'l "R2D2" lookin' things bolted up to yer blocks fer fuel pumps...

DISREGARD. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Clamping off rubber fuel hoses ('specially if they're a few years old) can lead to some problems: internal deterioration can introduce 'junk' to the system and squeezing 'em can introduce cracking and leaks if they're brittle. Good practice is to replace the hoses as you do the pump. Fuel hose is cheap!

We don't wanna read the tech article: "How to Make a Triumph BARK!".... I.E. "Free-range gasoline, errant spark: WOOF!"

G

I still remember 20 years ago replacing the fuel pump on a Spifire I had at the time. DOH (stupid, stupid me)...make sure when putting the new pump on that the lobe is not "out" against the pump lever. It goes right back on very easy if it isn't. It took me an hour or more of cussing and swearing to realize what was wrong.

Edit: WOW, it just hit me....I meant 30 years ago..where did the time go?