• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Weekend weather for car events

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Two weeks ago, it rained on day one of the show at the Cape. Day two was fair.

Tonight is the BMCNE annual barbecue, which is held outside at a park in Scituate, RI. It's getting colder by the minute and the rain is on it's way....for the fifth time today.

Sunday is British Car Day at the Larz Museum just outside Boston. Forecast is for thunderstorms all afternoon.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All buffed and waxed and no where to go.

I think I'll order a pizza and go sit in the car in the garage and eat it. I can play some oldie CD's and all will be well.

Now I almost know how poor Dale feels with Crypty in the garage more than out. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/pukeface.gif

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There Paul;

Here in NE PA; Its been pretty darn nice: Sunny around 75deg & Its getting a bit cooler as well: Last night It rained pretty good but in the AM the TR was out and about:

Our Weekend is Looking Good: Mid 70`s to 80deg: Mostly Sunny; At least for Sat. Sun is kind of Iffy bu Not Bad:

There is a Local Car Show (Any & All Marques): The next "Brit Car Show" will be the VTR:

Enjoy Your Pie in the Garage;

Regards, Russ

tr6lover

Jedi Trainee
hey paul, i feel your pain....i am now at work down at quonset helping set up for the airshow and got rained on about 3 times so far.......fun fun. at least there were some good gaps for the planes to put on the practice show.
Randy

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Randy,

I had the afternoon off, so I got a lot done on the car. Door jamb switches, new stainless bolts and nuts here and there, tedious little detail stuff that I've been putting in a pile for a few spare hour day.

Well, it's all waxed and ready for the Sunday show if it doesn't rain. I get a few hours of driving in tomorrow after golf, so it won't be a total loss weekend.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
We've only had 2 brief showers since March... OTOH it's 110 degrees today which will temper your enthusiasm for a car show.

Nevertheless, drove the TR3 yesterday, today and will again tomorrow.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
It's now a balmy 56 degrees, down from 78 at noon. And the last shower only lasted 10 minutes. Not enough to water in fertilizer, but enough to really cool it off.

Our weather has been all northwest winds carrying cooler temps and rain for the last two months. Not the usual pattern at all.

Very strange indeed............

T

Tinster

High 96* sweltering, stiff breeze-
I took one of Crypty's wheels off
this morning to peer beneath. Rear brakes
have failed but no oil on the garage floor.

Too hot to drive without AC this time of year.

Hey Paul- wanna swap cars for a year??
That would truly be painful for you!!

d

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I should have stayed in the garage with the pizza. I got back on the computer and decided that it was time to bite the bullet and replace my brake system.

No, nothing special or exotic. While cleaning it up today, I noticed that the brake fluid is getting quite dark and that's not really good. It has been almost twenty (20) years since I replaced the master cylinder and rear cylinders. The calipers and rotors are original and the car is only on it's second set of pads. Not bad for 33 years and 58,000 miles.

So it's now time to do it all including the bigger stub hubs, rebuilt hubs and wheel bearings, rotors, calipers, hoses, rear cylinders, adjusters, hoses and aluminum drums.

This is the perfect time to make the change to Dot 5 Silicone fluid as well.

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nonono.gif

DON'T DO IT PAUL! Today is the first full day of summer!

Wait until at least fall to tear your car apart! Unless you work really fast you'll miss out on some driving. It isn't going to rain all summer.

Good luck either way ...

Totally unrelated but I saw in your first note where your picnic was ... I grew up in Scituate! I didn't know anybody else actually knew where it was!

Matt

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Matt,

Many good times at the Gazebo park with the BMCNE club members. Lot's of good Friday night cruises too! Pictures of last years event on the first page of my website.

And I grew up in Johnstown, PA and I know about Scituate, so go figure that one out.

I have spare backing plates, brackets and some suspension parts that I'll get powder coated before this all goes together. I just have to get ambitious enough to dig them out of storage.

I make sure that everything is in my possession before starting and I do it or get it done on an off week for scheduled events.

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Brosky said:
I make sure that everything is in my possession before starting and I do it or get it done on an off week for scheduled events.

Whew ... you had me worried there.

I am still amazed by the Scituate thing ... the next time I visit my parents (they still live there), I'll have see if I can catch one of your get-togethers.

Heck, maybe I should drive the TR6 on the next trip back East ... I have a good reason to now!

Matt

R

RonMacPherson

Don't feel like the long ranger.

Seems like a lot of us have a difficulty getting out and enjoying.

Your weather, Dale and the Crypt Car(wondering how the brakes broke, when it's up on jackstands, osmosis?) Me, I've got great weather. Summer here in Hawaii, but I had my left meniscus worked on yesterday.

Yesterday was hazy, today is a painful hobble. Hopefully it'll be less painful tomorrow evening when I get to put my kilt on for a Saint Andrews Society event(Scotch and Scones).. I really want to be minimizing the pain pills by then cuz their instructions say no alcohol. And you just cannot enjoy Scotch and Scones without imbibing.

Ah, c'est la vie!

T

Tinster

Don't do it Paul!!

Enjoy driving your car while your very short summer lasts.

If you have this burning desire to mess around with a TR6
such as including the bigger stub hubs, rebuilt hubs and
wheel bearings, rotors, calipers, hose---I will gladly strip
those busted parts off Crypty and UPS them to you.

Crypty is on blocks for the foreseeable future and needs all
those items you mentioned before I can think about taking him down off blocks.

Plus the Crypt Car needs the front suspension and steering
replaced.

Say the word, I'll box up the parts for you you to play
with when you feel the need for greasy hands and a TR6
mechanical fix.

best wishes,

d

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Paul; /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

I agree with Matt: "DON`T DO IT`"!!

You surely will be sorry if something goes wrong & You`ll be eating Pizza in Your Garage for the rest of the Summer:

It can`t rain forever! It seems that here in PA; We`re right in the Middle of a Clearing: Rain to the North and South of us: Its gorgeous here today: My Alfa-Romeo buddy & I will be cruising the River Banks of the Delaware River from NJ to NY State: What a Great, Winding scenic Drive:

See Ya All Later;

Regards, Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
After all of my years turning wrenches and managing people and cars through a shop, none of the issues that you mention concern me at all.

First of all, I won't do the work myself, because I work too many hours a week to have the time to do it. Secondly, working on a car when you've put 10-12 hours in, is not a good idea. Third, working on the brake system of a car under those circumstances is just plain dumb and asking for trouble.

I'll schedule a time when Erik has two days in the row open at his shop and I'll drop all of the parts off in advance. We'll review everything and I'll drop the car off. In a day or two, he'll call, give me the price and I'll bring a check to pick it up and continue to drive it.

If something comes up and I don't have a part that I need, most likely he will, so no major down time will occur.

No sore back, no loss of working time and I still have plenty of things to do to give me my "mechanical fix high" when I need to relax on a weekend playing around. Also, I'll still be having dinner every night with my wife and that will keep her happy too.

Will it be expensive? Probably not as expensive as if I screw something up when I'm tired or trying to get more done in a night than I should. This may not work for others, but it works fine for me. I paid my dues with the wrenches for many years. I just don't enjoy it that much anymore to take this on at this time