Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jensen Healey

General discusssion about other British cars that don't have their own forum (yet).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jensen Healey

I have an opportunity to buy a '74 Jensen Healey for a very reasonable price. It runs good, and has a relatively rust free body (must have been in Montana or similar climate for its entire life). Problem is it has a salvage title. How much will this affect the value of the car? And if I spent money restoring the vehicle could I expect to recoup my investment on a car with a salvage title?

JP Furble

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Jensen Healey

It all depends on the state. In Iowa you could get a bonded title for the car and then when you sell the car the next person will be issued a regular title.

Having a salvage title would not mean anything to people in the states that will give you a regular title for the car or in states that do not issue titles for cars that old.
    Steve
    Central Iowa

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that the monetary value of a JH is so little that the type of title is irrelevant. I say this as a JH owner that truly appreciates this undervalued car.

Have a nice day
    Steve

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys. I almost cannot afford NOT to buy the car. According to NADA Collector Car edition the lowest retail value is around $5000 for a car in this condition, and the guy is asking $3900. The title thing really has me spooked for some reason. I suppose I could offer a really low-ball price and if he bites fine...if not, walk away.

JPF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smcmanus
    I think that the monetary value of a JH is so little that the type of title is irrelevant. I say this as a JH owner that truly appreciates this undervalued car.

Have a nice day
    Steve
    Ditto.

(except my name's not Steve [img]/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img] )

PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're buying the car to use and enjoy yourself for a few years it probably won't matter.

If you're intending to buy it, fix it up a little and re-sell I'd suppose that it might become a factor: as a buyer I'd wonder that there might be somethig wrong about a car that was salvaged and then the previous owner wanted sold off quickly.

Its a great car if the body and engine are healthy, and a relative bargain.

Good luck with it...

<span style="font-weight: bold">Healey Journal</span>
    Just 5 years into a 2 year project....
    1967 Austin Healey 3000, 1972 Jensen-Healey, 1962 Rochdale Olympic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've rebuilt several cars from salvage and IMHO a salvage title is an insurance company's way to permanently devalue a vehicle because they (heaven forbid) lost money on it. I would however find out why it has the title in the first place. I know around here they throw "salvage" on things as simple as theft recoveries with no damage. My best advice would be to have it checked out.
    June 4th is Marvin Heemeyer day!
    '61 PE Herald-'63 Spitfire-'71 Spitfire-'76 Spitfire- '7? MGB V-8 project
    and various other British based lawn art! I drive the Herald in the snow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

JP..I wouldn't worry about the "Salvage" in the least. I specifically looked for that when buying my son a car. I found him a repaired 2003 Mitsuishi that had driver side damage. When Nebraska retitles they still put PREVIOUS SALVAGE on the title but my son got a GREAT looking and running car for 1/2 the retail price. and in the case of most BRITISH restore projects they all start out in Salvage condition anyway!.
    aka: Greg
    - if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy ....Red Green
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Problem is it has a salvage title. How much will this affect the value of the car? And if I spent money restoring the vehicle could I expect to recoup my investment on a car with a salvage title?[/QUOTE]

IMHO, a salvage title devalues the car tremendously - for resale! In these post-Katrina days, everybody thinks 'water damage'...plus there's always the possibility that its been in a serious wreck & has been put back together out of a couple of cars.

Down here, when an insurance company issues a salvage title, it takes a licensed & bonded rebuilder to put it back on the road....& they all cost less than comparable models with good titles.

Were it me, I'd only invest in it if I were going to drive it a few years....I don't think serious collectors would pay top dollar for a salvage title.

But, just my opinion.
    <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"><span style="color: #006600"> Tony &quot;theAutoist&quot; Barnhill</span></span></span></span></span>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very good advice guys...thanks. Still have not made up my mind to buy or not.

JPF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I don't think serious collectors would pay top dollar for a salvage title.
    [/QUOTE]

Tony..good points...guess I was coming from the aspect of keeping as a driver or garage dust collector more than restoration and resale...GOOD LUCK on your decision JP!
    - if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy ....Red Green

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tony barnhill
    ...Were it me, I'd only invest in it if I were going to drive it ....
    That's the only reason anybody buys a Jensen Healey.

Quote Originally Posted by tony barnhill
    ...I don't think serious collectors would pay top dollar for a salvage title.
    Ha, ha. Good one. As if a serious collector would ever buy a Jensen Healey.

(And I say that as a proud and devoted owner of one.)

PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]As if a serious collector would ever buy a Jensen Healey.[/QUOTE]

Good one...hehehehe....does Jay Leno own a Jensen Healey?
    <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"><span style="color: #006600"> Tony &quot;theAutoist&quot; Barnhill</span></span></span></span></span>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

define "serious"....I just bought a 70 Morris Van and I consider myself SERIOUS...JP, I've seen some very sharp
    Jensen's with lots of work and pride in them...you do what you want and most importantly can afford.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Good one...hehehehe....does Jay Leno own a Jensen Healey? [/QUOTE]

Tony...check this out...too funny..JP you have hope!!!

TYPE IN SEARCH CARS "Jensen Healey".

https://app.nbc.com/search/your_garage.php

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, that's somebody else car that they've parked on his website.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yea I know but what's the odds ..a website called Jay Leno's garage with somebodies Jensen ....too funny!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys do it to me every time [img]/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif[/img] !!! I get lost on that site and just lose track of time [img]/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif[/img] !!

To quote Jeremy: "So much to do...so little time!!!" [img]/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif[/img]
    (Coo-Coo-Kajube!)
    Mike

59 Bugeye &quot;OBI&quot;
    69 Sprite

To gain respect, first give it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

JP...now if you meant to say Nash Healey...ol Jay would
    come a knockin!!!

1953 Nash Healey Le Mans Coupe

JP---sorry we never get side tracked here on the BCF...
    what did you decide to do regarding the Jensen???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, man, that Le Mans Coupe is something else!