• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jensen Healey

JP_Furble

I have an opportunity to buy a '74 Jensen Healey for a very reasonable price. It runs good, and has a relatively rust free body (must have been in Montana or similar climate for its entire life). Problem is it has a salvage title. How much will this affect the value of the car? And if I spent money restoring the vehicle could I expect to recoup my investment on a car with a salvage title?

JP Furble

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It all depends on the state. In Iowa you could get a bonded title for the car and then when you sell the car the next person will be issued a regular title.

Having a salvage title would not mean anything to people in the states that will give you a regular title for the car or in states that do not issue titles for cars that old.

smcmanus

Jedi Hopeful
I think that the monetary value of a JH is so little that the type of title is irrelevant. I say this as a JH owner that truly appreciates this undervalued car.

Have a nice day
Steve

OP
J

JP_Furble

Thanks guys. I almost cannot afford NOT to buy the car. According to NADA Collector Car edition the lowest retail value is around $5000 for a car in this condition, and the guy is asking $3900. The title thing really has me spooked for some reason. I suppose I could offer a really low-ball price and if he bites fine...if not, walk away.

JPF

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
smcmanus said:
I think that the monetary value of a JH is so little that the type of title is irrelevant. I say this as a JH owner that truly appreciates this undervalued car.

Have a nice day
Steve
Ditto.

(except my name's not Steve /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif )

PC.

Country flag
If you're buying the car to use and enjoy yourself for a few years it probably won't matter.

If you're intending to buy it, fix it up a little and re-sell I'd suppose that it might become a factor: as a buyer I'd wonder that there might be somethig wrong about a car that was salvaged and then the previous owner wanted sold off quickly.

Its a great car if the body and engine are healthy, and a relative bargain.

Good luck with it...

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
I've rebuilt several cars from salvage and IMHO a salvage title is an insurance company's way to permanently devalue a vehicle because they (heaven forbid) lost money on it. I would however find out why it has the title in the first place. I know around here they throw "salvage" on things as simple as theft recoveries with no damage. My best advice would be to have it checked out.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
JP..I wouldn't worry about the "Salvage" in the least. I specifically looked for that when buying my son a car. I found him a repaired 2003 Mitsuishi that had driver side damage. When Nebraska retitles they still put PREVIOUS SALVAGE on the title but my son got a GREAT looking and running car for 1/2 the retail price. and in the case of most BRITISH restore projects they all start out in Salvage condition anyway!.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Problem is it has a salvage title. How much will this affect the value of the car? And if I spent money restoring the vehicle could I expect to recoup my investment on a car with a salvage title?[/QUOTE]

IMHO, a salvage title devalues the car tremendously - for resale! In these post-Katrina days, everybody thinks 'water damage'...plus there's always the possibility that its been in a serious wreck & has been put back together out of a couple of cars.

Down here, when an insurance company issues a salvage title, it takes a licensed & bonded rebuilder to put it back on the road....& they all cost less than comparable models with good titles.

Were it me, I'd only invest in it if I were going to drive it a few years....I don't think serious collectors would pay top dollar for a salvage title.

But, just my opinion.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I don't think serious collectors would pay top dollar for a salvage title.
[/QUOTE]

Tony..good points...guess I was coming from the aspect of keeping as a driver or garage dust collector more than restoration and resale...GOOD LUCK on your decision JP!

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
tony barnhill said:
...Were it me, I'd only invest in it if I were going to drive it ....
That's the only reason anybody buys a Jensen Healey.

tony barnhill said:
...I don't think serious collectors would pay top dollar for a salvage title.
Ha, ha. Good one. As if a serious collector would ever buy a Jensen Healey.

(And I say that as a proud and devoted owner of one.)

PC.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]As if a serious collector would ever buy a Jensen Healey.[/QUOTE]

Good one...hehehehe....does Jay Leno own a Jensen Healey?

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
define "serious"....I just bought a 70 Morris Van and I consider myself SERIOUS...JP, I've seen some very sharp
Jensen's with lots of work and pride in them...you do what you want and most importantly can afford.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Good one...hehehehe....does Jay Leno own a Jensen Healey? [/QUOTE]

Tony...check this out...too funny..JP you have hope!!!

TYPE IN SEARCH CARS "Jensen Healey".

https://app.nbc.com/search/your_garage.php

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No, that's somebody else car that they've parked on his website.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
yea I know but what's the odds ..a website called Jay Leno's garage with somebodies Jensen ....too funny!!!

bugimike

Yoda
You guys do it to me every time /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif !!! I get lost on that site and just lose track of time /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif !!

To quote Jeremy: "So much to do...so little time!!!" /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif
(Coo-Coo-Kajube!)

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
JP...now if you meant to say Nash Healey...ol Jay would
come a knockin!!!

1953 Nash Healey Le Mans Coupe

JP---sorry we never get side tracked here on the BCF...
what did you decide to do regarding the Jensen???

Attachments

• 6186-441_888994243454ec2972d37f.jpg
    6186-441_888994243454ec2972d37f.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 165

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Oh, man, that Le Mans Coupe is something else!