• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Europa Up-date

RobT

Jedi Warrior
Europa Update

So the red Europa is registered and (was) on the road! Even passed the Massachusetts sticker inspection.

But after driving it a short while, it became evident that one of the front calipers were sticking. So up on blocks the car went. The trunion bushes are also shot and the ball joints and tie-rod ends, although still tight, were totally devoid of rubber and grease. Not good. These were probably still original - "Stanpart" units.

So time for a front-end rebuild. All looks very familiar, takes me back to my Spitfire/Herald days! Also everything is a bit smaller and easier to handle than on the TR.

So one question - what are good break pads to use. The system is unboosted, so something with a bit more grip would be good. I have "Hawk" pads on the TR, and like these. I have found Hawk pads for GT6's and the same number is listed for S2 Europas. Are these the same, or do I need Spitfire pads?

BTW when I was waiting to get the sticker inspection at the local service station, it was amazing how many comments I got on the car! As I was there a guy pulled up in an immaculate 1949 Maserati race car - also for a sticker inspection. Beautiful 3 litre OHC 6 in it. He bought his mechanic along to (in a seperate vehicle). He had driven it in the Mile Miglia 1000 and was planning to drive this thing on the road here. Wild car - and my guess we are talking house price value.

Rob.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Re: Europa Update

I can't be certain, but though the fronts were the same all the way through the Europa's production, and are the same as Spitfire. I've heard the uprights and dangly bits can be swapped out for the GT6 MKIII parts and THEN the disc used is the larger 9.75" GT6 rotor.

"Hawk" pads would be fine, IMO.

EDIT: Original Girling number for the pads: 64327636MC GBD 538

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

BTW: All the twin-cam Europas were equipped with brake servo's. Yours was removed? Not that I have any qualms about it: I took the things out of the +2 the day before I put the engine IN. Back in '78, IIRC. Even disconnected the ATE one in the Spider. One less component to fail, as I see it.

You get a gander at the LENGTH of those Masaer cams? I always thought the durn'd things should break to pieces when they got spinnin' at 3K RPM. Beautiful engines, actually. And you're likely correct in assessing value.
A REALLY NICE house, too. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
RobT

RobT

Jedi Warrior

I did a bit more research - the GT6 pads are the same (dimensions) as the Spit/Europa pads. The only difference is the composition was different for Spits. So I ordered the Hawk (HP Plus - but think I should have gone with HPS).

The boosters are there (dual Gerling units) but have been disconnected. I believe they are over $300 a piece to rebuild. Is that correct? So that's probably why the PO disconnected them and put in a replacement dual circuit M/C.

Yeah the Maserati engine is a beauitful piece! Tripple webers too. And no distributor - dynamo ignition.

Rob.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

+2 had the same servo rig, yup. Mine have a permanent place on a shelf inna shed. I just use a bit more pedal effort. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

You can buy a LOT of pads with $600.00! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda

Rob, pads for the 240Z will work, too. That's what I ran on the Spit race car with GT6 front brakes. Hawk Blue, P/N HB169.
Jeff

Dan_Morrison

The other problem with the boosters is that the rebuild doesn't last very long before you're sucking brake fluid into the vacuum canister cans and wondering where all your fluid went. You won't see any on the ground anywhere. One thing you might want to do is look into replacing the master cylinder with a smaller diameter one. Look on the Lotus-Europa.com web site for a swap with a Datsun B210(?) one (this is from memory).

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

With as little as the car weighs it doesn't require that much more pedal effort to have the brakes be effective. You can still lock up the wheels if you get too aggressive with the pedal. I found the brakes on the +2 to be FINE with the larger diameter M/C.

Lotush

Freshman Member

I bypassed my boosters when they gave up. I replaced the MC with the S2 version which is the smaller bore. The lines are on the opposite side but they can be bent to fit if one is careful; and I added a flex line to the front T. I like the new set up a lot; if I was a racer it's actually better. The only down side is at long red lights on a steep hill.

Rebuilding boosters and the MC is doable but more trouble than it's worth IMHO. And rebuilt boosters have a reputation for early failure, as noted.

Ken
72 TC 2577R