• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

AMCO Wiper blade replacement

• Thread starter Deleted member 7471
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7471

My TR4-A is fitted with Amco wiper arms and 11" blades. Does anyone know if replacememt blades are available for Amco arms. I ordered a pair of blades from VB, naively assuming they would fit - not close. Can't even use the rubber insert to slide into the Amco frame - different widths. My web search wasn't any help.
Or, is the only option to get new arms. I would not like to do it, the ones I have are perfect.
Thanks
Glenn

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Glen.

Bosch makes a wiper for the TR6. It includes the frame which is black.
I bought a set of VB frames and blades. the quality was pitiful. I ordered Bosch frames and blades through Advanced auto.
If you still have the inserts from the original arms you may want to look in an Amco catalog. In the back they have various inserts. You may be able to match the cross section and measured width to something. Their catalog may be online. You may also want to check other wiper manufacturers catalogs.
Someone else may know for sure, but I doubt the Amco wipers were factory installed. I'm guessing the TR4 arms and frame are silver or chrome. If you cannot find an insert you might consider stripping the black finish from a Bosch frame and polishing the metal. It's been awhile since I looked at my Bosch frames, I think they are all metal.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW, I've had pretty good luck buying wiper refills that were too long and cutting them to length. Take the blade to your local auto parts store and look for a refill that has the black plastic spine (with a groove for the blade to engage), and the right width.

Since I only need 7" refills, I can buy 14" and get two for one /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Re: ANCO Wiper blade replacement

bobh said:
If you still have the inserts from the original arms you may want to look in an Amco catalog.
I'm assuming you both mean Anco, not AMCO. I'm pretty sure the Anco name derives from "Mary Anderson [who in 1903] devised a swinging arm that swept rain off the windshield when the driver moved a lever located inside the car. Anderson patented her invention of the mechanical windshield wiper in 1905..."

Original equipment was, I think, British Trico. Are you sure the arms are not original? Does one have the bend to clear the cowl vent, or are they both the same?

OP
D

Deleted member 7471

Andrew,
Thanks for the clarification, I am recovering from a "D'oh" moment. Very interesting about Mary Anderson, and a good read in Wikipedia
(Had it not been for her, I guess we would not be able to drive in the rain (but there would be fewer rusted British automobiles)

Arms and blades are stamped Anco, don't know about the originality, now I just need to find an 11" stainless steel one.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag

As noted, easy to slice & dice your own refills from the plastic variety.

On the TR3A I use a pair of those funky original style blades (several layers of thin rubber make up the wiper edge) for appearance sake but carry my modern replacements (already mounted to spare carriers) in the boot if it ever rains.

OP
D

Deleted member 7471

I just got back from Wally World and they carry Anco blades (not 11" with stainless frame though). Turns out today's rubber insert is the perfect match for what I need. I took everybody's advice, bought one 22" blade assembly ($4.44), removed the rubber wiper part, cut it in half and pushed into my existing stainless frames. It was so simple, didn't even need the Easy button.
Thanks for all the tips.
Glenn