• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MiniCity vs MiniMania pricing

Creatrixx

Jedi Hopeful
I was wondering what the pricing is like on parts from Mini City. I don't want to pay $10 for a parts catalog to find out that the parts from the easy online catalog of MiniMania is cheaper. Or is there somewhere better than that?

(In case it helps, I need new valves and guides for a 998 head.)

BritCarFan

Jedi Hopeful
You have to realize that when buying mini parts in the US they all come from England. So you end up paying higher prices as the Pound goes up. You are also paying for the transport of those parts to the US.

Look for example at minispares.com and compare the prices. Shipping will be more expensive, but you may still be cheaper off.

dklawson

Yoda
I completely agree with BritCarFan.

The sad thing for you (and me) is that Seven is now on the west coast. When Michael A. still owned them and they were based in coastal VA, the prices were better and delivery to us (you being in MD) was VERY fast. Typically we'd get our parts the next day (even with UPS ground) if you got your order to them before noon. NOW... both MiniMania and Seven take about 9 days to deliver things to the east coast.

The Pound is terribly high right now and that will affect the prices from all vendors. However, I have ordered most of my parts directly from MiniSpares over the past few years. Even with shipping, the total cost can be lower and delivery is typically 5 days as opposed to 9 from California. An example would be the Mk1 Brake Servo reproduction sold by MM and MiniSpares. With shipping from CA the part was going to cost me $410, from the U.K. my total was $250. The savings can be just that significant. HOWEVER, I do buy some parts from the U.S. sources because I don't want them to dry up and go away.

That said, I've only bought a few parts from MiniCity. Their catalog is worth having, but not because you're going to order from them, it's just a good reference like the old Seven catalog. A lot of the parts in the MiniCity catalog are marked NLA or if you call, they won't be in stock. MiniCity will have some rare NOS or used parts and that's great. However, of the three U.S. vendors they seem to have the highest prices. After you visit their web site it will be apparent that while the name is MiniCity, they are catering more to the MG-1100 and Austin America these days.

OP
Creatrixx

Creatrixx

Jedi Hopeful
Oh, I'm not complaining about the prices... just looking for a cheap way to get valves as I am positively strapped for cash until I can sell my Mazda and I can't sell my Mazda until my mini is working (since I'm going to be using the mini as my daily driver...) So, price is quite important to me right now.

MiniSpares was actually not much cheaper than MiniMania. Thanks, though!

dklawson

Yoda
Do you know that your valves are damaged or worn to the point that they cannot be used? It isn't always necessary to replace them when you're reconditioning a head. Regrinding valves is a very common practice.

If you're working to a tight budget, don't forget to watch eBay. Also keep in mind that a number of the parts from the MG-Midget/AH-Sprite can be used (like heads).

EDIT: Regarding the Midget parts... don't forget to request your free copy of Victoria British's Sprite/Midget catalog.

OP
Creatrixx

Creatrixx

Jedi Hopeful
I am still very very very very new to the whole caring about cars at all thing. I'm going on what my boyfriend says (who does engine research and design for a living and is a LBC guy). We did take the valves and such out of the head and he seemed to think that they were still usable but quite close to not, so if we're reconditioning the head now, we should just replace them now.

The head that we got was labeled as a midget head, but the casting number shows up on a lot of mini stuff. So, yeah, we're keeping that in mind as well. And I just requested that catalog, thanks!

Country flag
Ok....I have to ask this....what is LBC? I have only been into my Mini for about 9 months now and have to admit I am in the dark on the LBC thing. Logic tells me it means Little British Car but you don't know if you don't ask. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

On the topic of cost, I am actually very excited of what it costs to maintain, repair, improve my mini. With gas prices and the economy being what it is, everyone is budget conscious. Everything costs more these days. I have had multiple cars ranging from 68 Camaro, 69 Rambler SC/rambler, 66 Nova, have worked on Silver Clouds, Phantom II, etc. and the dollars to buy parts for those cars can get really steep. One front brake hose for a Silver Shadow is $1000+. Parts for muscle cars are $$$ as well. How many Camaro's, Nova's etc. do you see at car shows? I believe the term is belly button cars? How many Mini's do you see driving down the street or at non-Mini or related car shows? As the commercial goes, spark plugs - $35, new tires - $375, driving a classic Mini and seeing people's reaction - PRICELESS! Yes, I too want the best value for my buck....and I recognize that there are far more costly alternatives out there. Ok, that's my 2 cents worth....well maybe 2 dollars worth given inflation etc. LoL

Thanks for letting me share....
Peter

OP
Creatrixx

Creatrixx

Jedi Hopeful
Yes, LBC = Little British Car

And I know there are most costly options out there, however that doesn't change the fact that I ate ramen for lunch today. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
Creatrixx

Creatrixx

Jedi Hopeful
Hey, dklawson, thanks for the Victoria British tip, it's $20 cheaper to get the same valves from the Spridget section than from MiniMania.

Sweet!

~Melissa

Country flag
The good news is there are 100's of thousands of former college students who survived for 4+ years on Ramen! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

dklawson

Yoda
At the end of my first semester in college, two guys down the hall ran out of money and were surviving on a big bag of "movie theater" popcorn and a 12-pack of beer. They survived... I think.

The valves from VB may be the same size but are probably from a different source. For a street engine I don't think it makes a bit of difference. There are high-tech, high-dollar valves available but it doesn't sound like that's what you're after.

Seven may no longer have copies of their old catalog but it wouldn't hurt to ask them for a copy. Perhaps now they've reprinted and updated their catalog. The old on was printed in 1995 and had a lot of useful information on identifying components. It also had some dimensional information for parts requiring machining prior to installation on the car. It is worth having the Seven and MiniCity catalogs as references even if you have to pay for them. Another item you may want to put on your wish list is the CD based Technical Publications that can be purchased from MiniMania and the others. This CD includes PDF versions of the factory manual, exploded diagrams, etc. You can't take it outside and have it next to you while working on the car... but you can print out the pages you need when you're planning a repair job.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Melissa, many of the engine parts for your Mini are shared with the Sprite, Midget, even the Morris Minor. The A Series engine has been around for a long time, and there certainly is no need to pay a premium price for anything just because it's for one car over another. As I think you have just discovered.
I recommend that you get a copy of David Vizards' book "Tuning the A Series Engine". There are some pretty good lists in there referencing what was used in specific applications, and is worthwhile material to have at hand.
Jeff

OP
Creatrixx

Creatrixx

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks! I'll check that book out.

I'm liking minimotors.com Their webpage is a bear, but minisport.com's page is great and you just need to find the sku from that page to find the item on minimotors. Anyone have any good/bad experience with Mini Sport stuff?

dklawson

Yoda
I found a couple of NLA parts at MiniSport that no one else had. I had to write them emails to learn they had the parts... but I was sure glad they did. They are nice people with good products and from my limited experience, good to deal with.

If you're broadening your scope to consider overseas vendors, don't forget to visit MiniSpares and DSN Classics.
https://www.dsnclassics.co.uk/
I bought various bits of hardware and some of my car's badges from them.

OP
Creatrixx

Creatrixx

Jedi Hopeful
DJminis!!!

It seems that DJminis.com has the same parts as minimotors and WAY cheaper. I'm replacing my cylinder head and minimotors had the minisport part for $497 and djminis has it for $385. Same part.

Assuming everything works out well from DJ's, I'm going to be going to them first when I need something from now on.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Re: DJminis!!!

MiniSport did a head for one of my 948 Sprite race engines, to my specifications, that was about half the price found anywhere else.
Jeff

dklawson

Yoda
Re: DJminis!!!

Regarding the same cylinder head for the same price... be sure to compare all the specs. For example, if you were talking about a late model 12G940 cylinder head, they have them with "big valves" and "regular (read smaller) valves". The big valve heads do go for more but breath better. There may be similar variations on the heads for small bore engines.