• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jensen Healey Interceptor????

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Did Jensen Healey ever have a model called the Interceptor? I know Jensen did. Very familiar with that car.

Someone has on eBay a Jensen Healey Interceptor.
confused.gif

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
yeah Jensen Healey made an Interceptor.

Cheers,
thirsty.gif
driving.gif

Walter

OP
Bruce Bowker

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by waltesefalcon:
yeah Jensen Healey made an Interceptor.

Cheers,
thirsty.gif
driving.gif

Walter
<hr></blockquote>

Searching but can't find anything listed as Jensen Healey Interceptor.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bruce Bowker:
Did Jensen Healey ever have a model called the Interceptor? I know Jensen did. Very familiar with that car.

Someone has on eBay a Jensen Healey Interceptor.
confused.gif
<hr></blockquote>

Not that I know of. Jensen Healey was a Jensen model name, not a company.

I don't think there was ever a "Jensen Healey Interceptor" & I suspect the eBay listing is wrong.

OP
Bruce Bowker

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by coldplugs:

I don't think there was ever a "Jensen Healey Interceptor" & I suspect the eBay listing is wrong.
<hr></blockquote>

My thoughts too.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
It's probably a Jensen Interceptor (there shouldn't be the word "Healey" in there. The company name was Jensen and they made cars from the 1930's through to insolvency in 1976. Jensen Healey was just simply one of their models.

The Interceptor was sold from 1967/68 through to 1976, and in North America between the years 1971 and 1976. They are not that uncommon of a sight, there are a fair number of them around.

[ 05-12-2004: Message edited by: Sherlock ]</p>

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
eBay is the root of considerable misinformation.

It is eather a Jensen Healey, or a Jensen Interceptor a totally different model from the Healey, The Jensen Interceptor is powered by a Chrysler V8.

The Jensen Healey was SCCA D Production National Champion in 1973 & 1974, banned in 1975 because the other cars couldn't beat it. It was again SCCA E Production National Champion in 1995,

Regular or common, no way, I say. Unique and rare by definition, the Jensen Healey is the best bargan in sports cars today. I am biased as owner of #13046

You are correct Jensen is the maker of the Jensen Healey and the Jensen Interceptor, and there is no such car as the Jensen Healey Interceptor.

[ 05-12-2004: Message edited by: Jim Weatherford ]</p>

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Jensen also made the FF -- one of the first production four-wheel-drive sport coupes. The same technology went into one (or possibly two) Triumph Stag 4wd prototypes.

Jensen mostly used Chrysler engines, and many of their cars used fiberglass bodies. Some wierd looking cars in the 1960s!

Best known for the Interceptor coupes and convertibles. Coupes can be had for $5,000 in fairly good shape. Convertibles are now coveted, and tend to bring high teens to mid 20K range. People like the combo of a drop top and Chrysler 440 powerplant.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Jensen has an interesting history...

The earliest example I've seen is a friend's 1956 Jensen 541 coupe back in Ontario, unfortunately never saw it back on the road (post-restoration) before I moved back west.

And they also had some prior North American history to 1971. Their primary market was the production of bodyshells and in the 1930's they used to coachbuild on Ford V8 chassis', and a small number of those were sold in the States including I believe one to Clark Gable. Among other bodyshells they produced after WWII - 1952/54 Austin A40 Sports, all Big Healey's, early Volvo P1800's.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello all,
further on the FF, which stood for Ferguson Formula, not only was it 4 wheel drive but had Dunlop anti-lock brakes as well. They are distinguishable by a double grille on each wing behind the front wheel arch. Ferguson research did make some other 4 wheel drive prototypes, Triumph 2000 sedan (at least one of which still survives) and I think Ford Zephyr. These were considered by the Police as patrol cars but I don't think that they went beyond prototype stage.
Also not forgetting the Ferguson 99 single seater 4 wheel drive racing car as driven by Stirling Moss and others. As expected it was an exceptional wet weather car.
Jensen also did sub contract body assembly, and I think at one time assembled the Volvo P1800 model in the UK.

Alec
cheers.gif

OP
Bruce Bowker

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sherlock:
Jensen has an interesting history...

The earliest example I've seen is a friend's 1956 Jensen 541 coupe
<hr></blockquote>

And it is one really sharp looking car.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I have also seen two different 1960's Jensen C-V8's when I was back in Ontario, they aren't very common here either as they were never officially sold here, and as SammyB referred to earlier they are definitely an acquired taste...

It's actually quite interesting, the relatively small region of Ontario around Barrie, Orillia, southern Georgian Bay has a whole bunch of interesting Jensen's - my friend's 541, another old friend recently just finished an Interceptor and is mid-way through a C-V8 restoration, and to top it off another different C-V8 recently arrived in the region for a full restoration.

For those wondering...

My friend's 541, I've never seen it outside the garage though, seen pictures of them all finished and yes beautiful looking car!

Jensen541.jpg

And now a C-V8 (1965), an acquired taste, this one is being restored, there's lot of rot under there although it looks nice, oh yeah and both cars reside in Barrie, Ontario

JensenCV8.jpg

[ 05-13-2004: Message edited by: Sherlock ]</p>

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I'm always impressed by the knowledge on this forum!

And re: the AMC Eagle. I love to joke with the Subaru press and product reps when I talk to them if they've been issued a cease and desist on the "World's First Four-Wheel-Drive Sport Utility Wagon" slogan for the Forrester...as we know, it was, in fact, the Eagle!

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> SammyB said: I'm always impressed by the knowledge on this forum!

And re: the AMC Eagle. I love to joke with the Subaru press and product reps when I talk to them if they've been issued a cease and desist on the "World's First Four-Wheel-Drive Sport Utility Wagon" slogan for the Forrester...as we know, it was, in fact, the Eagle!
<hr></blockquote>

Not quite true... From the year 1975 Subaru offered their first AWD model, the "4WD Station Wagon". It was a slug of a car with low horsepower, but for some reason I have always admired and coveted that model. Used to walk by one in Calgary all the time, parked up without plates but looked to be in excellent condition. Always thought about buying it some day but it's long gone now. And for some reason I have vivid memories of the first Road & Track test of the Subaru 4WD Station Wagon, as I recall they liked it quite a bit.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Hmmm...

This whole thread has my head working overtime, I think a great topic would be an article about the history of Jensen. Check back in awhile...

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
D'oh. Shows what I know
smile.gif

Cheers,
thirsty.gif
driving.gif

Walter

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sammyb:
... they've been issued a cease and desist on the "World's First Four-Wheel-Drive Sport Utility Wagon" slogan for the Forrester...as we know, it was, in fact, the Eagle!<hr></blockquote>

I think many Jeep enthusiasts would argue that the Jeepster and 4WD Willys Utility were available well before the Eagle or any Subaru 4WD wagon - about 1948 I think.

Re the Jensens: Most folks seem to like their appearance. I don't want to seem contrary, but am I the only one who thinks many of the Jenson models look like they've been worked over by a kid with a PepBoys gift certificate? Specifically, the headlights and various fussy body details?