• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What's the best word to use... [for our import cars British/German/Italian, etc...]

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
OK... weird thoughts passing through my head.

It seems to me lately the the term "import car" in relation to any of the older import vehicles many of us drive is becoming diluted by the so-called "rice rockets" and events they run. Names like "Hot Import Nights" to describe the shows they run seem to dilute the meaning of the word "import car".

What does the term "import car" mean to the average car enthusiast now? I've heard from a friend of mine back in Ontario that back in the 1960's when import cars were less common here that the term "foreign car" was often used, especially by those who were mostly into the American cars. Now with the dilution of the term "import" by the "rice rocket" generation, is there a better term to broadly describe our older import/foreign cars (be they British, German, Swedish, whatever other country).

Hope this discussion makes some sense... My mind is rather strange sometimes,
crazyeyes.gif
especially in the morning when I've only been up for a short time.

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Re: What's the best word to use... [for our import cars British/German/Italian, etc...]

European Imports?
wink.gif

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Re: What's the best word to use... [for our import cars British/German/Italian, etc...]

iagree.gif
Seems to be the best term. We could have a special event for LBCs....."Luke-warm Import Nights" Catchy don't you think?

rovernut

Jedi Trainee

OIL Spills................LOL

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

I always call them European, and I use a very non politically correct terms when refering to those fine Japanese piles of plastic, and fiberglass.

Cheers,
thirsty.gif
driving.gif

Walter

Henri

Jedi Knight
Country flag

OK... weird thoughts passing through my head

I think they wrote a song about that..no not the passing of your thought...I think it's about...what you say or I say...whether you say either or I say e"i"ther...neither or ne"i"ther...lets call the whole thing off...etc...

Import works for me...I can also go alone with the specific country...like British Import, Italian Import, Japanese Import, German Import...

Foreign Sports Car works to...I generally don't care what you call me...just don't call me late for dinner...
shocked.gif
wink.gif

[ 05-09-2004: Message edited by: Henri ]</p>

sammyb

Luke Skywalker

That's one of the great writers' dilemmas, finding the right terminology. I tend to call cars by their country of origin: LBC, vintage British/Italian sports cars...or I'll call them as a segment: European Sports Cars, modern Japanese imports.

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag

My wife was saying recently how she'd like a European car. I said "but we already have two!" She was not impressed and said she was talking about a modern one not old pieces old junk.
grin.gif

Eric

Jedi Warrior

To me they're all foreign cars. With Subarus built in Indiana, Ford Crown Vics built in Mexico, Chevs built in Korea, Hondas built in England - what does it matter? In the past, there were distinct national differences, but don't try and tell me that a Toyota Avalon isn't just a traditional American sedan with better build quality.

People get hung up on being nationalistic on car brands, but it doesn't make any sense in the modern world. Witness the good ole boy driver in the NASCAR truck series slagging Toyota for entering the series, because Japan had bombed Pearl Harbour. He was driving for Dodge - a German-owned company.

Drive what makes you smile. It probably wasn't manufactured where you think it was, anyway.
canpatriot.gif

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag

Aloha All,

I think Eric has a good point, who knows where modern cars come from, you can't just assume because it is a US manufacturerer, the model was built there. I remeber in the 60's Renaults, Fiats, MGs etc were "foreign" cars. I refer to my cars as British like Henri and others. I liked 78Z's comment, "My wife was saying recently how she'd like a European car. I said "but we already have two!" She was not impressed and said she was talking about a modern one not old pieces old junk." My wife tells me that the reason I have two LBCs is so I can have one to drive while I repair the other one.

Safety Fast,
Dave

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan

I remember my frst trip England. I was impressed by all the cars being foreign.
wink.gif

sammyb

Luke Skywalker

A slight tangent but a funny/interesting story:

My father-in-law had this thing about not buying German cars, because of the association with WWII. He called any Mercedes, Audi, VW, BMW, Porsches etc.. "Nazi mobiles," and figured only an anti-semite would ever drive one. I had to explain to him that Max Hoffman, a Jewish man, was the reason German cars were imported to the US in the 1950s, and was instrumental in the creation of the Porsche Speedster.

Anyway, at one time a couple years ago, I gave him a list of automakers from which he could buy a car. First, I explained the problems with ownership of his current cars:

Ford Expedition,(now he has a Lincoln Navigator,) Jaguar S-Type, 1948 Lincoln Continental: All owned by Ford -- Henry Ford was the inspiration to Hitler's hatred of Jews -- all based on "The International Jew" written by Ford. (Hitler kept a life-sized portrait of Ford in his office.)

GMC Sierra, '65 Impala, '67 El Camino: GM -- GM supplied fuel technology to the NAZIs, instrumental in their WWII combat strategies.

Then I explained that based on his WWII logic, he certainly was wrong in previously owning a Toyota Supra...So no Japanese cars.

And no Italian cars, since they conspired with the NAZIs.

So no Fords: Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Land Rover (although it was owned by BMW at the time,) Volvo, Mazda.

No GM: GMC, Chevy, Olds, Pontiac, Buick, Hummer, Saab, Saturn (ok, nobody in their right mind would buy a Saturn
wink.gif
) Kia used to just have a distribution agreement, but now they have sold significant shares to GM.

Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth/Mitsubishi is now German, and as we now know -- that's evil.

So I explained, he could buy British...ummm....what independent British companies exist? Mini, Rolls and Bentley are German. Shortly after the list, Rover/MG was purchased by a local group, but they do not export to the US. TVR doesn't either (and they'll sue you if you try.)

Lotus is Malaysian, which was okay, although the mostly Islamic nation is extremely anti-semetic (PM announced that Jews were the enemy of Islam.) So that should rule out Lotus.

How about independent American manufacturer's? Saleen and Panoz both use Ford running gear, as does Superformance Cobra replicas... It's the running gear of hate.

Daewoo is gone.

Which left ONE MAKE OF CAR that he could buy with a clear heart...

.... do you know which one?

MORGAN!!!

The morale to the story was: leave political and emotional hang-ups out of car buying. Finding a good car is hard enough without the hangups.

Some of the Japanese makes are more American than the so-called American makes.

I'm not sure what my next new car will be, but "buy american" won't factor into my brain. I'll buy whatever global brands' vehicle is comfortable, sporty, fits my family and has great build quality and dealer support and leaves enough money in my pocket to buy a new high torque starter for my Triumph, which is a marque now owned by BMW...

Eric

Jedi Warrior

But the new Morgan Aero 8's use BMW V8's! And the 4's use Fords. Your dad will have to walk (in Chinese made shoes, no doubt!
grin.gif

sammyb

Luke Skywalker

[ QUOTE ]
But the new Morgan Aero 8's use BMW V8's! And the 4's use Fords. Your dad will have to walk (in Chinese made shoes, no doubt! [image]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/image]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, at the time we were discussing it, the Rover engines were also BMW, but since the company is independent, and simply sources the engines from BMW (and then reworks them a tad) I felt it was ok -- mostly because almost every car has parts from German companies (Bosch etc...)

JM1NA

And considering up until fairly recently, all cars purchased in Canada were foreign cars. Why were/are US built cars considered "domestic" cars here?

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Love the ricer form James. I like the ricer gauge on there the page also pretty funny stuff.

Eric

Jedi Warrior

Before the late 80's, the Autopact treaty with the US ensured that for every US car imported into Canada, there was one built in Canada. Helped the Canadian auto industry no end, even if they were all branch plants of US companies. Hence US cars were domestic due to build numbers, although mostly its a hangover from when US cars were the vast majority of what was available. However, to me, they're all imports, as there is no real domestic car industry in Canada. While we build Fords and Chevy's in Canada, we also build Hondas and Volvos. Are any of these domestic for a Canadian? Not really. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior

Don't they still make Lada's in Russia? They were allies for a while anyway..

Mind you, I'd rather walk... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif