• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Soo, OK... 'nother question about Moss and Chrome

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Good afternoon,

Another question and soliciting some advice about Chrome Schtuff.

I am starting to look for a grille for my '57 A. I have looked at Moss, Victoria British and wandered about eBay Motors, finding prices all over the place.

My original is wasted... bent, broke and otherwise un-useable.

What have you experienced and WHERE did you buy and at what cost... LAW OF DIMINISHING RETURNS plays strongly here.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif

Ron

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I had a trashed grill on the MGB so got VB's version. I expect I'll swap out the nose badge as it's screen printed (!) but the overall is satisfactory. Not sure of the A one, check with Moss to find out if their version of grill and badge is of a higher quality (authenticity-wise) than a screen printed plastic. Then order it thru "The Autoist" here on BCF if answers meet your needs. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
DrEntropy,

Thanks for the advice.

I checked Moss and discovered that the 'new and improved' 'A' grille is out of stock and sells for $240.00 which is actually not too bad if it is 1- good quality, and 2 - if it fits...

VB looks pretty good but I have little to no experience dealing with them other than talking to no one other than an order clerk who can't spell MG much less offer any advice other than:

"please follow the directions on the Invoice for returning the item"....

"No, I don't want to return it. I have a question about it..."

"please follow the directions on the Invoice for returning the item"...."

sigh... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

Onward and upward...

Ron

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ah, but always source the new grills from guys like me - Moss distributors - for price!

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Soooo... Tony,

I need a new chassis extension... a good one. Mine is bent.

Can we do biz??? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Ron

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ron - I'm still in Europe...does Moss offer a part number or do I need to cut it off one of my parts crs?

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Tony,

Actually Moss does offer the part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] 456-040 $316.95 EXTENSION ASS'Y., front frame

[/QUOTE]

A used one would do nicely as long as it is not bent or warped and at a good price... Fortunately you would not need to cut it off since it bolts to the front of the frame...

I will hold off on a purchase until you get back...

Let me know...

Thanks,

Ron

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
ccougill,

I guess, if Tony Barnhill doesn't return, I'll have yet another excuse why my car isn't finished yet.. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Oh, I'll return...though I'm eating lots of good German, Greek, & Italian food - drinking lots of good German beer & European wine.......& my blood sugar is staying within normal ranges!!!

& the cars over here are something else! We're getting screwed by the EPA!! Today I drove an Alfa Romeo station wagon - turbocharged diesel w/6-speed....a little speed demon!!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Re: Soo, OK... 'nother question about Moss and Chr

ronzet said:
DrEntropy,

Thanks for the advice.

I checked Moss and discovered that the 'new and improved' 'A' grille is out of stock and sells for $240.00 which is actually not too bad if it is 1- good quality, and 2 - if it fits...

VB looks pretty good but I have little to no experience dealing with them other than talking to no one other than an order clerk who can't spell MG much less offer any advice other than:

"please follow the directions on the Invoice for returning the item"....

"No, I don't want to return it. I have a question about it..."

"please follow the directions on the Invoice for returning the item"...."

sigh... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

Onward and upward...

Ron

Your finding out that Vic Brit is an order house and no one there, that I have found, knows a da** thing about cars. And some can hardly speak English. With Moss and Moss distributors, your dealing with people in the know. People who can and will answer your questions. It's very satisfying know your dealing with people who have gone through most of the problems that we have with our cars, solved most of them and are willing to share their knowledge with us. I've received some bad parts from Vic Brit and had to send them back. The only way I would deal with Vic Brit now is, if I couldn't get a much needed part that no one else had and they did. In that case, your up against a wall, so to speak. Sorry, don't mean to hurt any feelings, but that's just my honest opinion. PJ

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Hear hear,

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight

Paul,

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

Although we may groan and commiserate about the poor quality or bad fit from some odd part here and there that we receive from Moss, their outstanding customer service and passion for the hobby puts them into a category all of their own.. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

19_again

Jedi Warrior

Being new at this and having purchased from both as well as through Tony, I have found Moss to be a better supplier than VB as Ron points out. But VB's website is a heck of a lot easier to get around in. I'll find what I want on their site and give their #'s to Tony and he'll order from Moss. I have never been able to search for ANY part at the Moss site and actually find it.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight

19_again,

I have the opposite opinion of the websites. I find it much easier to find a needed part by description on the Moss site. Their parts breakout presentation and order process is, for me, much easier than VB. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

If I am going to buy a part, heaven forbid, from VB, I open their hard catalog to find the parts and then go to the website to order...
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Either way, having access to any of these websites, for good or ill, saves us all a ton-o-time and effort...

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Tony,

Back yet??? re;chassis extension... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
heh... few more days, Ron. Keep pacin' /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ron - 28th...& I'll check price of a new one plus look at a coupe of my parts cars.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Tony,

Welcome back....

Nice TD by the way... I am still struggling with deciding my next project and with your posted pictures on that topic, I am leaning heavily toward the TD as my next....curse you Tony.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Anyway.... Still looking for A chassis extension for my 'getting close' MGA project... Had a chance to look in you pile-o-stuff for one that I can buy from you??? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif